I'ts about time

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dukalmighty
Posts in topic: 1

I'ts about time

Post by dukalmighty »

NEW ORLEANS - The National Rifle Association has hired private investigators to find hundreds of people whose firearms were seized by city police in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, according to court papers filed this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

The NRA is trying to locate gun owners for a federal lawsuit that the lobbying group filed against Mayor Ray Nagin and Police Superintendent Warren Riley over the city's seizure of firearms after the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

In the lawsuit, the NRA and the Second Amendment Foundation claim the city violated gun owners' constitutional right to bear arms and left them "at the mercy of roving gangs, home invaders, and other criminals" after Katrina.

The NRA says the city seized more than 1,000 guns that weren't part of any criminal investigation after the hurricane. Police have said they took only guns that had been stolen or found in abandoned homes.

NRA lawyer Daniel Holliday said investigators have identified about 300 of the gun owners and located about 75 of them. Some of them could be called to testify during a trial, he added.

"Finding these folks has been a nightmare," Holliday said. "That is really the guts of our case — to establish that there was indeed a pattern of the police going out and taking people's guns without any legal reason to do so
I hope this will let them know you cannot disarm law abiding citizens in the face of a natural or unnatural disaster.We should be able to defend ourselves wherever and whenever our lives and the lives of another are in jeopardy. :party:
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Target1911

Re: I'ts about time

Post by Target1911 »

:iagree: :clapping: :hurry: :rock" :thewave
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

And some folks think the NRA isn't doing much these days.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Kyle(Houston)

Post by Kyle(Houston) »

Wow

That is awesome :cheers2:
"Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive."

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Just FYI, the NRA was in court the day after the weapons seizure in 2005 and has won victories in court from the beginning. Unfortunately, the city has dragged its feet and complied with court orders as reluctantly as it can without the mayor or police chief being found in contempt.

- Jim

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

seamusTX wrote:Just FYI, the NRA was in court the day after the weapons seizure in 2005 and has won victories in court from the beginning. Unfortunately, the city has dragged its feet and complied with court orders as reluctantly as it can without the mayor or police chief being found in contempt.

- Jim
No way............!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

flintknapper wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Just FYI, the NRA was in court the day after the weapons seizure in 2005 and has won victories in court from the beginning. Unfortunately, the city has dragged its feet and complied with court orders as reluctantly as it can without the mayor or police chief being found in contempt.

- Jim
No way............!
It's quite common unfortunately. If one sues a government entity and wins, quite often another suit has to be filed in order to get the actual compensation. I know that some suits agains the state of Texas require legislative action to get paid. It happened to a friend of mine a few years ago with an age discrimination suit.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Return to “Never Again!!”