So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Enron Exec
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Have you ever been threatened?

Post by Enron Exec »

DoubleJ wrote:the guy threatening you.
Oh no, i dont hang around those types. Friend 1, i thought, was a real nice easy going guy. I had no idea he had it in him to threaten my life and the lives of others over a promise about a silly ATV accident. Took me off guard. Took everyone off guard. We all thought he was joking at first because it was so unlike him.

I will copy past the chat log of that Tuesday night between friend 1 and I when i get home.

Xander
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Xander »

Regarding the situation, you had asked about going to the authorities. If it were me, I wouldn't bother. First of all, they often can't do much about a threat, even if it is an active threat. In this case, it sounds like the threat is past, which means the police will have even less they can do for you, if anything at all.

Second, you seem to want to remain friends with this fellow. If it were me, I would distance myself from anybody I felt like had seriously threatened me. That's just me though. It's really up to you to determine if there is still enough of a relationship for this to continue to be a viable friendship, and if there is, if you want to pursue that. I don't think that without knowing you and your friend personally, anybody can give you any more specific advice.
Last edited by Xander on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Enron Exec

Post by Enron Exec »

Crossfire wrote:
Enron Exec wrote:Questions? Suggestions? If requested, i'll copy paste the chat log from Tuesday night between me and friend 1 so you can all decide.
I suggest you gather up all your firearms and give them to your Mommy or Daddy to keep for you until you grow up.
Ohh...k.

Am i missing something here? Care to explain why?

If these types of posts are not welcomed here, be my guest and lock/delete it then.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

Enron Exec wrote:
Crossfire wrote:
Enron Exec wrote:Questions? Suggestions? If requested, i'll copy paste the chat log from Tuesday night between me and friend 1 so you can all decide.
I suggest you gather up all your firearms and give them to your Mommy or Daddy to keep for you until you grow up.
Ohh...k.

Am i missing something here? Care to explain why?

If these types of posts are not welcomed here, be my guest and lock/delete it then.
Why? Because most people get over having "chat wars" about the time they get out of middle school. If you really are past 14, then you should let it go. You asked for opinions and/or suggestions, so there ya go.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

I have a serious question. Have you all been friends long? If you have, just back off and give it time. If not, they really are not friends. Don't drag others into it. I would just let the friends walk away for a while. I would wait until they came to me.
I have been in fist fights with some of my best friends! Beer or whiskey was usually involved through (a long time ago). At the end of the day, were still buddies.
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Enron Exec wrote: Am i missing something here? Care to explain why?
Here's what you're missing. The whole situation including you're reaction to it sounds very juvenile.
Charlie

tallmike

Post by tallmike »

TxRVer wrote:
Enron Exec wrote: Am i missing something here? Care to explain why?
Here's what you're missing. The whole situation including you're reaction to it sounds very juvenile.
Exactly. I was thinking "troll" as I read the original post.

I suggest you drop the situation and never mention it again because if its as true as you say it is then it reflects poorly on you and your friend.

Topic author
Enron Exec

Post by Enron Exec »

Well thank you to those that provided the helpful responses.

And this is not a troll post. I use the same handle on all the other firearm forums. If you will just do a search on sig forum, ar15.com (enronexec), the high road, glock talk, the firing line, texas gun talk, you'll see i dont troll. I came here because its a less known forum that my peers dont frequent so i may be able to get an less biased opinion. I am sincerely looking for advise on this matter. And for those that say i had acted childishly or wrongly, how about you at least explain your argument? As far as i can tell, I did nothing wrong, and i responded in a manner that was in the best intention for everyone. I know the internet is a poor medium to carry such conversations in detail but i did the best i could with the time allotted.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Enron Exec wrote:I am sincerely looking for advise on this matter. And for those that say i had acted childishly or wrongly, how about you at least explain your argument? As far as i can tell, I did nothing wrong, and i responded in a manner that was in the best intention for everyone. I know the internet is a poor medium to carry such conversations in detail but i did the best i could with the time allotted.
This is the TexasCHL Forum, not Ann Landers. In this forum people have discussions about firearms, concealed carry and other related topics. Your post in not in the Off-Topic subforum and I see nothing in your post that has anything to do with any CHL related topic. That's not so bad, but as TxRVer later says, "this whole thing was juvenile."

If you have serious concerns about threats to your safety, remove yourself from the source of the threats and call the police or call a lawyer to get a restraining order. If you don't do any of these, I don't think you are serious and I am wasting my virtual breath. :tiphat:
Last edited by WildBill on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Enron Exec wrote:And for those that say i had acted childishly or wrongly, how about you at least explain your argument?
Enron Exec,

First off, welcome!

I'll take a stab at it. I can't speak for anyone else but can only speak to my perception of it all. I am right around the same age as you (I'll be 30 in January). "Fighting" over the internet is, well, child's play. The whole chat fight is very '13 years old'. I've been made fun of online, threatened, and Photoshopped (the worst of all of them) but I still realize that this is the internet. I've been told, by friends, that they were going to "Kick My Butt" or some other colorful wording. I ignored it. That is the key. Ignore them. If you are truly worried over some ICQ chat, block them and cut ties to them. If they want to act childish, be a bigger man and let it go.

My $0.03 (2 cents adjusted for inflation)

And again, welcome!
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
Enron Exec

Post by Enron Exec »

Well im a CHLer and im asking for help. Im sorry the topic doesn't fit this subforum to the T.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

It would probably fit better in the off topic forum.

btw, welcome.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
Enron Exec

Post by Enron Exec »

pbwalker wrote:
Enron Exec wrote:And for those that say i had acted childishly or wrongly, how about you at least explain your argument?
Enron Exec,

First off, welcome!

I'll take a stab at it. I can't speak for anyone else but can only speak to my perception of it all. I am right around the same age as you (I'll be 30 in January). "Fighting" over the internet is, well, child's play. The whole chat fight is very '13 years old'. I've been made fun of online, threatened, and Photoshopped (the worst of all of them) but I still realize that this is the internet. I've been told, by friends, that they were going to "Kick My Butt" or some other colorful wording. I ignored it. That is the key. Ignore them. If you are truly worried over some ICQ chat, block them and cut ties to them. If they want to act childish, be a bigger man and let it go.

My $0.03 (2 cents adjusted for inflation)

And again, welcome!
Thank you. At least someone here isn't out to flex their e-muscles.

Im not new to all this guys, and i dont squabble on instant messengers and forums like you think i do. I have better things to do then look for all the internet drama.

Guys, just for a moment put aside the fact this took place on an IM. It doesn't matter if my friend threatened me over the phone or left a dagger through a note on my door. I have always tried to be reasonable and fair so when someone i know explodes and threatens me for no apparent reason, i kinda am at a loss.

The last thing i told my friend was that i dont trust him any longer and i have nothing more to say. He got mad and we haven't spoke since. Which is what i want, so everyone has a chance to cool down and maybe rethink things over.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Welcome to the forum - I hope that all of your dreams come true. :tiphat:
Last edited by WildBill on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Sorry, couldn't resist...there's a cat for all occasions.

As for my take on things, here's what I do each night, regardless of threat level: lock doors, close blinds, lights out, set noise machine to "frogs," set gun/flashlight on nightstand. If someone were to threaten me, whether by internet, phone, or in person, I can't think of one thing I'd do differently. I'm always cautious about my family's safety. I do it for the same reason I always wear a seatbelt, or get a physical, or carry an umbrella in the car. I like to take preemptive action, versus picking up pieces later. So my advice would be to get in the habit of being cautious, so that if something like this happens, it won't phase you. You can just say "well good luck with that" and be on your merry way.

The only other thing I think you could have done is put a report on file with the police, but they're not going to post guards. The most that would do is give them a suspect if/when something happened.

As for the friends, that depends on if you're a forgive-and-forget, get-even, or hit-the-road type. Friend #1 sounds like a pansy. I almost trashed a rather expensive mountain bike last weekend, and you don't see me whining. I actually think it was fun flying that far over a mud pit.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!! Don't worry, we don't all bite.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Return to “Never Again!!”