Friends and Revolvers

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 5

Friends and Revolvers

Post by randomoutburst »

I can't imagine why (*coughmoviescough*), but every single one of our friends has this notion about revolvers that flipping the gun with their strong hand to lock the cylinder back in place is a good idea. We keeping finding this out in a very unfortunate way: every time we have a friend over who would like to examine our guns, the first thing they do is flip the dang gun to lock the cylinder! Yes, even the friends who have had extensive previous knowledge and handling of guns and/or grew up around guns!
It makes me cringe to see my baby get manhandled like that and I worry about them messing up the timing. I usually snap at the friend without thinking, "What the ___ do you think you're doing?" Sometimes it's justified because I usually make a point of telling them NOT to flip the gun before I even hand it to them which means they just didn't listen, but other times it's my fault for assuming they're not an idiot. :roll:
Anyone else have friends like this?

After another friend did the same thing this morning when he came over and asked if he could hold my revolver, I think I'm going to have them read a list of "house rules" and make them sign a statement swearing they won't flip the cylinder before they're even allowed to LOOK at my guns.
And when they fail to follow the rules I'll point out the clause in the fine print that states the fine for such an offense: purchase of a new gun and 3 boxes of ammo. That'll teach 'em. :thumbs2:

Zee
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Friends and Revolvers

Post by Zee »

Fisher-Price makes a revolver you let them hold if they promise to treat it right.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

Matrix68

Post by Matrix68 »

I love the "house-rules" idea. I might just barrow from this idea...print up a few rules and attach it to the inside of the safe, so that when friends/family come over and the topic turns to firearms, expectations will be clear.

:iagree:
Class: 8/15/09
Packet Mailed: 8/19/09
Pin# Rec'd (mail): 9/22/09
Status - Processing Application: 9/23/09
Status - Processing Application (still): 10/12/09
Status - Application Completed: 10/24/09
Plastic in Hand: 10/28/09

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

Yet another reason to turn your back on Hollyweird and spend your time and money elsewhere.

I did the crane/cylinder flipping thing exactly once, at PSC with a gentleman's full-size revolver, before he and his friends politely warned me not to do that again. :oops: And since then I have not ever done that again.

I am not inclined to show my handguns to friends, family and acquaintances, much less discuss the broader subject of individual armament, unless I know they are on "our" side. After reading what randomoutburst wrote, I am not inclined to let anyone else handle one of my revolvers unless they own one of their own, or I have seen them manipulate one without abusing it.

karder
Posts in topic: 4

Post by karder »

Many years ago I was at a local gun shop looking for a revolver. It was my first time there and I asked to see a S&W chambered in .45acp. The guy behind the counter hands it to me and says, "don't flip the cylinder open". I thought that was a really odd request. I mean, who does that? Later, after he got to know me as a returning customer, I brought it up. He assured me that people do this all the time when you hand them revolvers, but I have always thought he was exaggerating . Reading this thread is confirming his assertions!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

I swear, I learn something new every day on this forum. I do not have a lot of experience with revolvers. I'd like to think that I wouldn't have done the gun-flip-cylinder-lock thing, but thanks to this post, I now know that you're not supposed to do that!

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

I am not inclined to show my handguns to friends, family and acquaintances, much less discuss the broader subject of individual armament, unless I know they are on "our" side.
Most of our friends (with maybe two exceptions) either own a gun or came from a pro-gun family, so we feel comfortable letting them hold and look at our guns in our apartment, but no one knows my husband has a CHL and carries. Once I'm old enough to get a CHL we're also keeping that under wraps. Only my husband's parents know he carries and we don't plan on telling my mother for reasons of our safety. ;-) Guess we're lucky to have so many friends who think alike in regards to owning firearms!

I like and watch movies just as much as the next guy, but I have never had an inclination to flip the cylinder closed on a revolver - ever. I want to know where these guys have seen people do this! I think part of the problem is that the friends of ours who have guns of their own only keep semi-autos and think it quaint that we'd want something archaic like a revolver. They either haven't handled them before or don't treat it with the same respect as a semi-auto because you can be rough with a semi but a revolver is a slightly more delicate when it comes to the few moving parts it has...if you want to keep the gun safe and in working order, that is.

Speaking of guns in movies, I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for the first time a couple weeks ago and the scene where Harry plays Russian Roulette had me laughing so hard I cried. I liked it not only because it was ironic but because it shows (in a movie!) that a loaded gun, even one loaded with just one round, is still LOADED. If anyone hasn't seen the movie, this is the scene I'm talking about: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's only about 2.5 minutes but the point of interest is at 2:12 if you don't want to watch the whole thing.
I swear, I learn something new every day on this forum. I do not have a lot of experience with revolvers. I'd like to think that I wouldn't have done the gun-flip-cylinder-lock thing, but thanks to this post, I now know that you're not supposed to do that!
We are here to share and learn - glad you learned something new! I'm learning something on the scale of 2-3 new things every time I come to this forum so I keep coming often. This is the most active forum I've been to and I like the community. :thumbs2:

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

OK, I'll bite -- What exactly is the problem with flipping the cylinder closed?

(SA's don't have cylinders...)

sjf
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

karder

Post by karder »

I am no gunsmith, so some of the other guys here can probably give you a more detailed and accurate answer, but essentially, spinning the cylinder and snap closing it is damaging to the cylinder stop. Eventually you will end up with an out of time cylinder. By spinning the cylinder and slapping it into place, you will damage both the cylinder stop and the arm to the point of either bending or breaking them entirely. Also, such a movement might damage (crater) the cylinder detents that the cylinder stop rests in. The weight of the cylinder being pulled out by the "swing out" motion puts stress on both the cylinder stop and the "arm" that rotates the cylinder into the battery each time. Ultimately, if it is your gun you can do what you want. I wouldn't want someone to do it to mine though. There is nothing like a well built revolver. If you take care if her, she will take care of you. :thumbs2:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Thanks, karder -- thought it was probably something like that.

Many years ago, I had a summer job as a security guard at a plant that made insulation. It was an "armed" position. There was a single revolver that was passed from one shift to the next. The most frightening thing about the revolver was that the cylinder was loose within the frame. That is, with the cylinder closed, it would rotate slightly within the frame. I was never sure, but I figured if the cylinder wasn't pretty closely aligned with the barrel, firing the pistol could become rather interesting pretty quickly. Anyway, I was thankful that I never had any reason to need to fire it. Kinda sounds like maybe it had been snap-closed a few (thousand) too many times.

That was the last time I had anything to do with revolvers.

sjf
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

Thanks for the explaination, karder...I probably should have explained why it was bad in my OP for those who aren't familiar with revolvers. :)

sjf, WOW. Sounds like no one really took care of that revolver...not something I'd want to trust my life with. My husband and I happened upon a very old Dan Wesson with an octagonal barrel that was VERY neat-looking. The cylinder would spin without stopping. No matter what you did with it. That was definitely a deal-breaker.
I trust my revolver over my semi every day and use one as my "nightstand" HD gun as a backup to my pump shotgun. I've had too many jams to think semis are more reliable. Still, I like semis and would carry one...in addition to my revolver. ;) (Though I do find that having more than five shots is helpful. Looking at the Kahr K9 that carries 7+1 right now...hope I can get it!)

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Randomouthburst -- Yeah, nobody had responsibility for it, as it was passed from one guard/shift to the next. The older woman "day guard" would have nothing to do with it -- it spent the day in a locked cabinet. No telling how old the ammo was -- it had turned kinda green.

Actually I couldn't believe they (the client company) wanted an ARMED guard anyway. The place made fiberglass insulation -- not exactly street crack. As a college student part-time guard, they (the guard company) sent me to a range to fire off a few rounds, then issued me the "sam brown" belt. Even as a punk kid, I realized this was insane. I wasn't going to confront anybody, armed or otherwise, for $3.50 an hour (or whatever it was back then). :roll:

sjf
Never Forget. Image

karder

Post by karder »

randomoutburst wrote:
I trust my revolver over my semi every day and use one as my "nightstand" HD gun as a backup to my pump shotgun. I've had too many jams to think semis are more reliable.
My "nightstand" is a S&W 629 with a 6 1/2" barrel in .44. I love revolvers and am toying with the idea of using one for daily carry. I have a couple of S&W's and Rugers that I could fold into the line up. Great reliability and I think the capacity is fine for me. Autos just pack so much flatter though. I need to find a good carry method for a Ruger Redhawk that will conceal as good as my Colt Commander. Wouldn't mind switching it up just to keep things fresh! :fire

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

My "nightstand" revolver is a S&W 60 (3" barrel) that I also intend to carry once I get my CHL.
As I said above, I'm also looking at buying a Kahr K9 and am intending on carrying that as well. If I get one, of course. ;-)

Your S&W sounds awesome. My husband loves the longer barrels...his nightstands are a Colt King Cobra 6" and a S&W 19-3 6". He initially wanted to try carrying them but I think he's given up on the idea for now. Just too darn hard to find a holster for one of those! They sure are gorgeous though.

Totally off-topic, but...I was looking through the smilies and found this one: :ack:
Anyone reminded of Calvin from the Calvin and Hobbes strips? This photo in particular: http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_u ... 90_358.gif
Hehe. :mrgreen:

karder

Post by karder »

karder wrote:
randomoutburst wrote:
. My husband loves the longer barrels...his nightstands are a Colt King Cobra 6" and a S&W 19-3 6". He initially wanted to try carrying them but I think he's given up on the idea for now. Just too darn hard to find a holster for one of those! They sure are gorgeous though.

:mrgreen:
Colt King Cobra...Now that's a fine weapon. My Dad has a python which I am trying (very unsuccessfully) to get him to sale to me. I am waiting for the day Colt gets back into the double action revolver business. I understand the profitability probably is not there in today's market, but when you make a product that great, it is a shame not to produce it. If they ever bring them back, I am the first one in line! Don't get me wrong, the smiths and rugers are great, but there is just something about a Colt. Maybe it is because my Dad only used Colt revolvers, I guess they just make me nostalgic!

Return to “Never Again!!”