Close call with Glock

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Laneman
Posts in topic: 1

Close call with Glock

Post by Laneman »

Hope this helps someone avoid an AD. I had just returned from work late at night, pulled into my driveway and turned off the truck. As always, I reached my Glock out of the center console and went to holster it into the soft holster on right hip. As I pushed the gun into the holster I heard the distinct sound of the trigger catching on the holster edge then snapping free. The holster had plucked the trigger like a guitar string. I no longer holster in the dark. I turn on the cab light and watch the trigger as I slide the gun in. I also do this in the day whenever I holster, always watch and verify the trigger is clear of the holster as it slides in. Be safe everyone.

MadMonkey

Re: Close call with Glock

Post by MadMonkey »

This is why I stay away from nylon holsters and keep a close eye on wear and tear on my leather ones. Glad you're okay!
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

MadMonkey wrote:This is why I stay away from nylon holsters and keep a close eye on wear and tear on my leather ones. Glad you're okay!
I won't use any holster that doesn't provide a consistently rigid channel for the gun. I had a few bad experiences early on, including having one of those nylon clip on holsters coming off the belt and out with the gun when I was drawing it to deal with an incident and really didn't need any unexpected complications.

Never again - no nylon holsters for this kid.

These days I use kydex much more than leather.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

"Soft" holsters are bad, exactly for the reason you have (safely) observed. If you have a gun with an external safety, like a 1911, they're not AS bad, but still.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

I had a hard leather IWB holster with a clip and had a similar experience during an advance hand gun class as Excaliber (without the danger) --the holster came out with the gun on a draw --twice. No more belt clips. I started using a Blackhawk kydex paddle holster with the trigger guard lock. Drawing and reholstering is very smooth and the holster is very comfortable.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Laneman wrote:Hope this helps someone avoid an AD. I had just returned from work late at night, pulled into my driveway and turned off the truck. As always, I reached my Glock out of the center console and went to holster it into the soft holster on right hip. As I pushed the gun into the holster I heard the distinct sound of the trigger catching on the holster edge then snapping free. The holster had plucked the trigger like a guitar string. I no longer holster in the dark. I turn on the cab light and watch the trigger as I slide the gun in. I also do this in the day whenever I holster, always watch and verify the trigger is clear of the holster as it slides in. Be safe everyone.
This is precisely the reason I changed my EDC from a Glock 36 to my Sig Pro 2022. I used a good leather holster, and I'd never had any issues with it, but I was always concerned about the tail of my shirt (when untucked) catching in the trigger guard as I holstered. I'm not a little guy, so this was a real danger - real enough that I carried without one in the chamber. Yes, I know that's crazy, but the safety concern of holstering the Glock outweighed the risk factor of having to rack one if I had to pull in a hurry. I couldn't live with myself if I'd had a ND and hurt someone.

Now, with my Sig, I can keep my thumb behind the trigger (it's a DA/SA, so I carry hammer forward), and get a tactile response if the trigger is 'self pulling' due to obstruction such as a shirt tail. Edited to correct: I can keep my thumb behind the hammer, not the trigger.

If I were in an OC situation, or if I didn't have to go unarmed at times, this wouldn't be such a concern. But given that I have to holster / unholster / reholster during the day (picking up my daughter at school, etc), I thought the risk was too much.

And I do love the Sig so much more!
Last edited by Vol Texan on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

texanjoker

Re: Close call with HOLSTER

Post by texanjoker »

I would re title that to close call with a holster. It wasn't the glock causing the issue.

Why are you taking it out and putting it into the center console? My opinion is a person should carry in the same way to build muscle memory. If you had to bail out during a car jacking, your gun probably would be sitting in the center console and you would be reaching for an empty holster.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Vol Texan wrote:
Laneman wrote:Hope this helps someone avoid an AD. I had just returned from work late at night, pulled into my driveway and turned off the truck. As always, I reached my Glock out of the center console and went to holster it into the soft holster on right hip. As I pushed the gun into the holster I heard the distinct sound of the trigger catching on the holster edge then snapping free. The holster had plucked the trigger like a guitar string. I no longer holster in the dark. I turn on the cab light and watch the trigger as I slide the gun in. I also do this in the day whenever I holster, always watch and verify the trigger is clear of the holster as it slides in. Be safe everyone.
This is precisely the reason I changed my EDC from a Glock 36 to my Sig Pro 2022. I used a good leather holster, and I'd never had any issues with it, but I was always concerned about the tail of my shirt (when untucked) catching in the trigger guard as I holstered. I'm not a little guy, so this was a real danger - real enough that I carried without one in the chamber. Yes, I know that's crazy, but the safety concern of holstering the Glock outweighed the risk factor of having to rack one if I had to pull in a hurry. I couldn't live with myself if I'd had a ND and hurt someone.

Now, with my Sig, I can keep my thumb behind the trigger (it's a DA/SA, so I carry hammer forward), and get a tactile response if the trigger is 'self pulling' due to obstruction such as a shirt tail.

If I were in an OC situation, or if I didn't have to go unarmed at times, this wouldn't be such a concern. But given that I have to holster / unholster / reholster during the day (picking up my daughter at school, etc), I thought the risk was too much.

And I do love the Sig so much more!
It would have been much less expensive to have gone to a kydex holster instead of a new gun and holster. :biggrinjester:

I have put my Glocks in kydex for years. Every now and then I consider a leather holster, but talk myself out of it every time. Usually, when I have to disarm I just remove the entire holster with the gun in it and put it in the center console. I rarely take the gun out of the holster when not at a range or at home.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OWB holsters with rigid openings for me only. I never have this problem.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Kadelic

Re: Close call with HOLSTER

Post by Kadelic »

texanjoker wrote:I would re title that to close call with a holster. It wasn't the glock causing the issue.

Why are you taking it out and putting it into the center console? My opinion is a person should carry in the same way to build muscle memory. If you had to bail out during a car jacking, your gun probably would be sitting in the center console and you would be reaching for an empty holster.
:iagree:

Being a lefty I don't have the same seat belt interference issues as some folks that carry on the right side do. Also, since I can't carry at work, I usually make the trip to and from the shop with a Remora tucked AIWB at 11:30 instead of my usual IWB holster at 8:30. That way it's always on my my body, and when I park at work I can slip the Remora into the lock box under the seat and not have to mess with un-holstering and re-holstering. After work I just unlock the box, slip it AIWB, and I'm good to go even if I have to run an errand or two before I go home.
Honor Necessity

Moby

Post by Moby »

I also carry a Glock and am a big fan of the manufacturer.
However, that being said, I always holster the firearm (IWB Desantis)
BEFORE I tuck the holster inside my waist band. Proper handling
of every tool prevents accidents. It is a downside to Glocks.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Excaliber wrote:Never again - no nylon holsters for this kid.
My only use for a nylon holster is serving as a glovebox holster. I keep it in the glovebox. If I need to go inside someone disarmed, I'll draw from my IWB and put it in the glovebox holster.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Reserve161

Post by Reserve161 »

I carry a 1911, cocked and locked. I use a Galco OWB leather
holster.
I know there is a manual safety (ON) and a grip safety but when
I holster, I always grasp the weapon so that my thumb is between
the hammer and the firing pin so that if by some miraculous way
my shirttail or something gets in the trigger guard and pulls it,
the hammer would hit me on the thumb rather than the firing pin.
That also precludes me having the grip safety depressed as well.

I figure holstering and drawing are the two most dangerous/critical
times when handling my pistol.
I've read many times about something snagging the trigger when
the pistol is holstered.
PRIDE HONOR INTEGRITY

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Never again - no nylon holsters for this kid.
My only use for a nylon holster is serving as a glovebox holster. I keep it in the glovebox. If I need to go inside someone disarmed, I'll draw from my IWB and put it in the glovebox holster.
That makes sense and is a good use for a nylon holster. It keeps the gun from getting scratched up while banging around in the glovebox.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

donniet

Post by donniet »

I don't get to contribute often, so I hope this helps. I also carry a Glock IWB and this is how I holster. Since the trigger finger index is automatic, it was easy to form the habit of covering the trigger with the second finger while holstering. As shown in the photo the extra finger protects the trigger until the firearm is sliding into the holster. :coolgleamA:
Attachments
Holster.JPG
NRA ENDOWMENT
Plastic..many years ago

Return to “Never Again!!”