Close call with Glock

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Rangel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Close call with Glock

Post by Rangel »

Thats one of the reasons why I carry an XDM. I like the Grip safety. I carry in a CBST when I Holster I place my thumb on the back of the slide to ensure the grip safety isnt depressed. glad everything turned out ok for you.

Munson

Post by Munson »

Lets be fair here...its not Glocks, its striker fired pistols with no external safety. It should never be a race to reholster a gun. It should be done reluctantly. I've been carrying striker fired pistols appendix carry for years, and advocate it to my students when they are competent and familiar. But you BETTER slow down and think about the reholster. Not just from a safety standpoint, but for a fighting mindset point. You took that thing out for a reason, dont be so fast to put it back. As far as nylon holsters...they are junk IMHO. You cannot safely reholster a nylon holster with 1 hand, and that might be all you have. The same can be said for leather holsters once they get old, unless they have some type of kevlar or similar rigid structure support. Me, I just run kydex and dont worry about it.

Kirtley91

Post by Kirtley91 »

I really like the Kydex taco style holsters for riding in the truck, never have to worry about it collapsing on itself when I draw.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

donniet wrote:I don't get to contribute often, so I hope this helps. I also carry a Glock IWB and this is how I holster. Since the trigger finger index is automatic, it was easy to form the habit of covering the trigger with the second finger while holstering. As shown in the photo the extra finger protects the trigger until the firearm is sliding into the holster. :coolgleamA:
That will keep something from snagging the trigger from the outside. But would do little against something getting caught on the inside (between gun and holster). So slow, steady, & deliberate would still be the order of the day. Of course, some of us with a bit more "overhang" should probably give the entire operation that much more attention.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TexasCajun wrote:
donniet wrote:I don't get to contribute often, so I hope this helps. I also carry a Glock IWB and this is how I holster. Since the trigger finger index is automatic, it was easy to form the habit of covering the trigger with the second finger while holstering. As shown in the photo the extra finger protects the trigger until the firearm is sliding into the holster. :coolgleamA:
That will keep something from snagging the trigger from the outside. But would do little against something getting caught on the inside (between gun and holster). So slow, steady, & deliberate would still be the order of the day. Of course, some of us with a bit more "overhang" should probably give the entire operation that much more attention.
"rlol" I find that overhang to be enough of an issue as to render appendix carry in ANY kind of holster a dead issue.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

9mmfan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 9mmfan »

TAM, you are not alone with this problem.
Solution? Wear those pants like they should be worn! :biggrinjester:

Course in my case, I might have to take more drastic measures.

But then I'm not a woman, so that would just look silly.

Incidentally, when I carry my G19 I use an MTAC Minotaur. Leather on the back, kydex for the gun. Comfy and from right here in Texas. There was a story floating around about a guy who shot himself in the, ahem, backside as his leather holster had become "floppy" and caught the trigger as he holstered. My leather CC holsters have reinforced mouths, but, says I, that sure seems like something that would happen to me.

It's a nice holster that I like a lot. Particularly if'n it saves me from the however unlikely butt-shootin', as well as the subsequent absolute ribbing I would receive from my friends for the Rest. Of. My. Life. That's just not a story I could keep to myself.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
-Rudyard Kipling

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

9mmfan wrote:But then I'm not a woman, so that would just look silly.

Incidentally, when I carry my G19 I use an MTAC Minotaur. Leather on the back, kydex for the gun. Comfy and from right here in Texas. There was a story floating around about a guy who shot himself in the, ahem, backside as his leather holster had become "floppy" and caught the trigger as he holstered. My leather CC holsters have reinforced mouths, but, says I, that sure seems like something that would happen to me.

It's a nice holster that I like a lot. Particularly if'n it saves me from the however unlikely butt-shootin', as well as the subsequent absolute ribbing I would receive from my friends for the Rest. Of. My. Life. That's just not a story I could keep to myself.
I'm glad you edited that post! I was trying to formulate a cogent answer. . . . .and I came up empty. "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

9mmfan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 9mmfan »

"rlol"

Don't feel bad. Trying to counter the things I say and do with logic or intelligence can often be a fruitless task. Ask my poor wife. I am frequently a quite absurd man. Thanks for the laugh, BTW. :tiphat:
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
-Rudyard Kipling

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

OldCannon wrote:"Soft" holsters are bad, exactly for the reason you have (safely) observed. If you have a gun with an external safety, like a 1911, they're not AS bad, but still.
:iagree: True for all striker fired guns with triger safties.
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

thatguy

Re: Close call with HOLSTER

Post by thatguy »

texanjoker wrote:I would re title that to close call with a holster. It wasn't the glock causing the issue.

Why are you taking it out and putting it into the center console? My opinion is a person should carry in the same way to build muscle memory. If you had to bail out during a car jacking, your gun probably would be sitting in the center console and you would be reaching for an empty holster.

:iagree: Gun on you...

I would also add that I'm not a fan of un-holstering loaded guns, when I remove my gun from my person it is holster,gun and all.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

SlowDave

Post by SlowDave »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Never again - no nylon holsters for this kid.
My only use for a nylon holster is serving as a glovebox holster. I keep it in the glovebox. If I need to go inside someone disarmed, I'll draw from my IWB and put it in the glovebox holster.
Ditto. I have a nylon for each of my guns for nightstand and map pocket carry. Since I can't carry at work, I carry in the vehicle on the way to/from unless I'm getting out of the car for some reason. The nylon is fine for that, imho.

HoosierTexan

Post by HoosierTexan »

When I carry 6 oclock, I use an Uncle Mikes for my M&Ps. Whenever I unholster and reholster, I take the gun out with the holster, so the trigger is protected while sitting in glove box and so that I can reholster all in one piece so the trigger is vulnerable to tugs.

HankHardisty

Post by HankHardisty »

I have experimented with these striker fired pistol. They are well-built and safe in the hands of an alert and safe-minded individual, but it seems that accidental discharges are still too prevalent in this species of handgun.

Therefore, I tend more to the 1st and 2nd generation autos and revolvers. I really like the heavy double action pull for that 1st shot.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

HankHardisty wrote:I have experimented with these striker fired pistol. They are well-built and safe in the hands of an alert and safe-minded individual, but it seems that accidental discharges are still too prevalent in this species of handgun.

Therefore, I tend more to the 1st and 2nd generation autos and revolvers. I really like the heavy double action pull for that 1st shot.
Other than these holster issues, if one follow the rules of firearms safety negligent discharges would not be a problem.

Finger straight on the frame of the gun unless you intend to fire it, seems to me to cover all guns. I despise the heavy double action pull for a variety of reasons, but that is for another thread......
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

Excaliber wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Never again - no nylon holsters for this kid.
My only use for a nylon holster is serving as a glovebox holster. I keep it in the glovebox. If I need to go inside someone disarmed, I'll draw from my IWB and put it in the glovebox holster.
That makes sense and is a good use for a nylon holster. It keeps the gun from getting scratched up while banging around in the glovebox.
When I put it in the glovebox I put it in a Remora holster to protect the trigger. Can you scratch a Glock?

Mike :evil2:

Return to “Never Again!!”