Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Josias
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Close call with Glock

Post by Josias »

mikeloc wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Never again - no nylon holsters for this kid.
My only use for a nylon holster is serving as a glovebox holster. I keep it in the glovebox. If I need to go inside someone disarmed, I'll draw from my IWB and put it in the glovebox holster.
That makes sense and is a good use for a nylon holster. It keeps the gun from getting scratched up while banging around in the glovebox.
When I put it in the glovebox I put it in a Remora holster to protect the trigger. Can you scratch a Glock?

Mike :evil2:

Why yes you can. Glocks are meant to be ugly. They work better that way ;)

And I also second the notion of the gentlemen who holsters why gripping his 1911 between the hammer and firing pin. I know people that dont keep the thumb safety engaged on her pistols while holstered. Never understood this concept, but I know with practice drawing and disengaging the safety can be done instantly.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

mikeloc wrote:Can you scratch a Glock?

Sure, but who cares. It might even increase the value since one would know it was not a safe queen.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bauer

Post by bauer »

C-dub wrote:
mikeloc wrote:Can you scratch a Glock?

Sure, but who cares. It might even increase the value since one would know it was not a safe queen.
"rlol"

My scratched 1911 would still fetch a pretty penny =P
R.I.P SSG Ward 6 Apr 2013
"Garry Owen"

CoolBreeze
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CoolBreeze »

MadMonkey wrote:This is why I stay away from nylon holsters and keep a close eye on wear and tear on my leather ones. Glad you're okay!
+1 :iagree:
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

Javier730

Re: Close call with HOLSTER

Post by Javier730 »

texanjoker wrote:I would re title that to close call with a holster. It wasn't the glock causing the issue.

Why are you taking it out and putting it into the center console? My opinion is a person should carry in the same way to build muscle memory. If you had to bail out during a car jacking, your gun probably would be sitting in the center console and you would be reaching for an empty holster.
:iagree:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

CoolBreeze
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Close call with HOLSTER

Post by CoolBreeze »

Javier730 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:I would re title that to close call with a holster. It wasn't the glock causing the issue.

Why are you taking it out and putting it into the center console? My opinion is a person should carry in the same way to build muscle memory. If you had to bail out during a car jacking, your gun probably would be sitting in the center console and you would be reaching for an empty holster.
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Stick with Kydex, or a Kydex leather hybrid for this exact reason. Second, when re-holstering, LOOK when you are doing it. The last range I worked at was pretty good about getting people to do so. Taking that 1-2 seconds to be sure you have a clear holster are well worth avoiding that ND.

rockinar

Post by rockinar »

OldCannon wrote:"Soft" holsters are bad, exactly for the reason you have (safely) observed. If you have a gun with an external safety, like a 1911, they're not AS bad, but still.

"Soft" holsters are not bad. Holstering and unholstering any gun while sitting down in a vehicle is bad. Gun in a center console is useless. Might as well leave it at home.

IsraelisJewish

Post by IsraelisJewish »

Wow, always wondered what the big deal was with leather. I suppose the rigid kydex is good too.
David (IsraelisJewish)
SunnyWalker.net

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

Leather isn't too bad, feels nice against skin. My Triple T IWB holster is a leather/kydex hybrid, and comfortable. Whenever I holster my XD-45, seated or standing, I make sure to hold it in a way to not engage the grip safety. Other times I will holster the gun and then clip it to my belt.

I do keep a soft Uncle Mikes holster in the truck for long trips. The XD then goes in the door pocket. Far more comfortable that way than having the grip sticking into my lower back.
J.R.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

There is ZERO wrong with leather if you use quality leather makers. Fifteen years using same DM Bullard holster with my G19 it has never went off. :shock:

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Josias wrote: And I also second the notion of the gentlemen who holsters why gripping his 1911 between the hammer and firing pin. I know people that dont keep the thumb safety engaged on her pistols while holstered. Never understood this concept, but I know with practice drawing and disengaging the safety can be done instantly.
That's a good habit. Another one I like, when I carry a 1911, is to holster with my thumb under the safety, giving me assurance that thing is on.

I usually feed the gun into the holster with my index finger straight and my thumb under the safety, forcing it on. When it's time for that last little push to seat the gun is when I move my index finger under the hammer, still keeping my thumb under the safety.

Before I got too trusting about safety mechanisms, though, I would make sure I fully understood how they worked and how to inspect them to make sure they are doing what they should. A 1911 safety separately blocks the hammer and the sear, for example. There is a clearance between an internal face on the safety and a pad area on the back of the sear that's critical for full functionality.

And it should also be noted the four big rules don't mention safeties. I'd never carry a 1911 cocked-and-unlocked, but on the other hand, the safety doesn't buy a pass on anything.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

AndyC wrote:Slight correction - a 1911 thumb-safety only blocks the sear, it doesn't do anything to the hammer.
That's why I shouldn't play expert and I should heed my own advice about thoroughly learning how safety mechanisms work. Somebody told me the hammer was blocked a long time ago, and it seemed to make sense, given that cutout on the hammer.

But a quick Google search indicates that's not what that cutout is for. It's there to block the safety from being engaged when the hammer is down.

Thanks for the correction - I got to learn something new, and a good thing for me to remember. I've been under the impression my thumb safety did more than it actually does, and I'm not real happy I had that confusion.

You da Man! ;-)

T.Chaney

Post by T.Chaney »

No nylon for me.I too like a holster that I can re holster my weapon one handed.Had a few when I was younger.Every one I had would tear at the loop for the belt.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Return to “Never Again!!”