someone tried to get in my house TWICE. I NEED VIDEO ADVICE

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Target1911
Posts in topic: 8

someone tried to get in my house TWICE. I NEED VIDEO ADVICE

Post by Target1911 »

I need a decent plug n play system with minimal 4 cameras. I do not have a bunch of money to spend on it right now. $500ish budget.

My other half called and said someone tried to open the front door. When they opened the screen door the dogs started going ape crazy..GOOD GIRLS will get a special treat..then they tried the door knob to if it was open. She called me a lil freaked but was thinking it may be me stopping by. The cops come out and looked around then left. Me being at work doesn't help. 

She called 30min later. Now they rang the doorbell.....AND SHE OPENED IT thinking it was the cops GRRRRR. fortunately no one was at the door. I rushed home and called cops back out.

This a nice neighborhood in benbrook and is seems to be sliding down the slope. Fortunatly we will be moving by the end of the year.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 1

Re: someone tried to get in my house TWICE. I NEED VIDEO ADV

Post by Texsquatch »

Oh man, this electricity sales lady did that at my mother-in-laws. My MIL didn't answer the door, the lady knocked again and after no answer jiggled the door knob. I went looking for them to report to police, haven't seen them in neighborhood for a while now. I beg my MIL to call police as soon as these things happen, don't wait until we come by an tell us. By then it's way too late. I hate crap like this.

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Yeah I had a sit down with the family tonight about it and how to act. We have a 2 girls...16 & 16 so there times they are at home alone. My 16yp knows how ro shoot so that's a plus.

We will be having both a fire drill and emergency drill this weekend.

I don't want rhem to be a squirrel in the road when the a problem arises
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Post by baldeagle »

You can buy wireless webcams for about $30-$60 each, so four wouldn't cost you more than $250. You view them on your computer, and you can set it up so you can watch them at work. You can buy wireless webcams with "IR night vision" for $80 at Best Buy, so four would cost you $320. You can buy wireless night vision webcams with motion detection for less than $50 on eBay - http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wireless-wifi-i ... era-webcam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 4 cameras would cost you $200.

You need to read up on it - install software on your computer (which you can download for free) and tie it all together so that you can view it. If you know what you're doing, you can even view it from work or on your PDA, setup email notifications, etc.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Does it store on the pc or off site? I'm not real smart with a pc and was thinking a dvr may be better.
I guess I would need to go by frys and talk to someone in the know to help explain stuff
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

I bought a system from home depot it can take 8 cameras comes with 4 and has a 500Gb DVR for around $500 send me a pm an I can let you view the cams later today after 430

This was after 3-4 attempts on my house and 3 eggings.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

PM SENT
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Consider installing a wireless intercom so your wife and kids can communicate with a caller without going to the door.

This prevents the problem that occurs when a BG gets no answer, figures no one's home, goes around back, and crashes through the back door.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

Excaliber wrote:Consider installing a wireless intercom so your wife and kids can communicate with a caller without going to the door.

This prevents the problem that occurs when a BG gets no answer, figures no one's home, goes around back, and crashes through the back door.
Where I have been looking for one wired or wireless.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Consider installing a wireless intercom so your wife and kids can communicate with a caller without going to the door.

Remember also that cameras only record what happened. They are not effective for deterring or preventing crime. Good locks and an alarm system go much further down that road.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

suthdj wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Consider installing a wireless intercom so your wife and kids can communicate with a caller without going to the door.

Where I have been looking for one wired or wireless.
This one works very well and is not expensive.
Excaliber

GlockDude26
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GlockDude26 »

i love the idea of the wireless cameras but how are they powered? do you have a to have a plug nearby the location of the cameras? that wouldnt prove to be effective if the criminal could simply unplug the power source???
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:i love the idea of the wireless cameras but how are they powered? do you have a to have a plug nearby the location of the cameras? that wouldnt prove to be effective if the criminal could simply unplug the power source???
Most wireless cameras do require a power source very close by.

They do have to be mounted high to prevent tampering or destruction.
Excaliber

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

They do have to have a power source. ...usually wired.

Also I have heard of problems with wireless. Easier to jam and hijack the signal.

I do want WIRED cams.

As far as a security system goes...we live in a lease house and will be moving within 6mo so I'm not going through the that cost till we get moved.

I know you view what HAPPENED and its not much for prevention but I also can't ID who it was at my door without the cams.
It is my first step in the right direction.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 92f-fan »

Cameras will tell you if it was a door to door sales person who is trying to hard or worse.
Dont expect to use the footage for ANYTHING other than piece of mind and perhaps a deterrent. The police RARELY care or are interested in the footage.
if your cameras are hooked to a DVR and the thief breaks in you should consider making it difficult for the thief to take the DVR. Ive been called to more than one customers office after a break in to help find the footage of the breakin, just to discover that the DVR was also taken.

Technical note:
If you expect to view the cameras from outside your house you will need to open holes in your firewall and router.
you will also want a Dynamic DNS name since your home IP address changes unless you are paying for Static IP address.
Not technically difficult but if you have no experience it can be VERY frustrating.

Return to “Never Again!!”