Going unarmed

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

bloodhound13
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Going unarmed

Post by bloodhound13 »

I had the same instance happen, Owner of our company asked if I was carrying while conducting a crane lift onto a rooftop (I am a Safety Director) in a bad part of South Dallas at a construction site. We had just heard gunshots, or a sporadically backfiring car nearby. I just looked at him and winked, he smiled and said "Well, I feel a lot better, since it's getting dark and we're going to be here a while."

While it is against our Company Policy, I have been here for 6 years, and he knows my stance on 2A, and supports it. We have let it be known that while Company Policy states it is against the rules, due to insurance purposes, our service technicians, and plumbers will not be reprimanded as long as they are CHL holders (if carrying on their person), or keep it concealed in their service vehicles. We do tell our CHL guys to keep it in the truck if they cannot insure it will stay concealed while at a service location. Also, if they want the truck, tools, equipment, let it go. If they are intent to cause bodily harm or worse, do what is needed to go home to your family.

We've had one service tech beaten and robbed while at lunch in Fort Worth, and seven employees robbed at a South Dallas construction site in the past, this morning I filed a theft report at one construction location (a church, no less) where locks were cut and tools stolen from our connex's. It's been getting bad out there.

ricor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ricor »

I have read this post from time to time. I don't go anywhere unarmed. Late this afternoon my wife and I decided to take in a movie at Mockingbird Station. We arrived quite early and decided to take in a cup of coffee at Starbucks. As we walked though the pretty deserted Mockingbird Station we were followed. As we walked into the parking garage and stopped at the elevator I turned towards the two men following us. They turned away and pretended to be otherwise occupied. I has prepared myself tactically and put my wife way from them. Anther couple care up as the elevator arrived and the tow men stood back. After the movie I casually asked my wife if the situation made her uneasy. She had the same feeling I had and assured me she was so happy that I am anal about my carrying concealed. I believe if we walked into the garage thing would have changed. Ke yourself aware. BTW, my wife has never questioned me about carrying.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

My bank has 30.06 signs, which I've been on the lookout for since taking the CHL training. I'm thinking about contacting them about it.

Seems like I should compliment them on their good judgement for only allowing unarmed bank robbers at their fine institution, and that to repay their humanity forward, I'm going to find as many people just like me to open accounts.

A bank that doesn't allow security ought to like customers who have no money.

:biggrinjester:

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

treadlightly wrote:My bank has 30.06 signs,
I would change banks and be very vocal to the manager about why they are losing a customer.

There are many, many banking choices. The vast majority do not post.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
treadlightly wrote:My bank has 30.06 signs,
I would change banks and be very vocal to the manager about why they are losing a customer.

There are many, many banking choices. The vast majority do not post.
:iagree: Plenty of banks don't post . I bank at on of the largest banks in the U.S and I've never been in a branch that has been posted.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

g31357

Post by g31357 »

I've walked into banks armed and unarmed. When I'm armed, I always think to myself, what would I do if a team of bank robbers come barging in with assault rifles? There's nothing I can really do with my firearm, I would just comply like everyone else. If it's 1 guy trying to rob the bank than maybe that's different but I never could figure out what I would really do. Thoughts?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

g31357 wrote:I've walked into banks armed and unarmed. When I'm armed, I always think to myself, what would I do if a team of bank robbers come barging in with assault rifles? There's nothing I can really do with my firearm, I would just comply like everyone else. If it's 1 guy trying to rob the bank than maybe that's different but I never could figure out what I would really do. Thoughts?
My thoughts are echoed earlier in this thread by an actual banker:
Wtxchooter wrote:As a banker, I'm always surprised by the people who think its illegal to carry in a bank. Unless its posted 30.06, it's totally legal. Not only do I always have one on me, but a backup in my desk. And no, I'm not carrying to stop a robbery....give them the money & get them out. I carry for the looney who doesn't want money.
It's not my job to stop a bank robbery, and the money is FDIC insured to the tune of $250,000 per depositor. So unless there happens to be only one single account at that bank, and that account has over $250,000 in it, and ALL of the money is in a cash state inside of the bank, no depositor is going to be directly hurt by the "unauthorized withdrawal". Whether the bad guy just wants to inflict pain/death, or he wants the money AND to inflict pain/death, the common denominator is "inflict pain/death".....and I don't care about the money that's in the bank. Neither am I willing to kill a man over my watch or the $20 in my wallet, if he will just allow me to surrender them peacefully*.

It's the guy that has a wire loose in his brain with a sadistic streak and for whom the rush of robbery isn't enough that worries me. THAT is why I carry my gun into a bank.......or pretty much anywhere else for that matter.

*Yes, there is an upper limit on what I'm willing to surrender peacefully, and I will NEVER allow a physical assault without an armed response. But the above presupposes that the bad guy has the drop on me and everyone else. In that case, going slowly for the $20 — if the bad guy will allow it — is a lot less likely to get me shot than going for my gun. Losing the $20 or a cheap watch is a small price to pay for not having to explain things to the police or the DA's office, even in a demonstrably righteous shooting.

Just my 2¢....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Blue5

Post by Blue5 »

My wife and I have had the discussion of not to carry recently. I am waiting on my CHL in the mail and as most of you know VERY anxious. I work a ways from home so it would be another week before I could even start carrying; With that being said, she too took and passed the CHL course when I did. She is German and very uneasy about firearms already(However the woman can out shoot a lot of people) and she does not understand the "NEED" to want to carry a gun. We are working through it and "SHE" will not be carrying until she feels more comfortable with the idea. At this point we have agreed to disagree.

Time will take its course and she will come around, I just pray that until that day comes she is never put in a situation.

I will carry when I am not on the Oil Lease... And I hope that will be the last conversations in reference to Carrying.
Death before dismount/ US Army 1999-2006
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

treadlightly wrote:My bank has 30.06 signs, which I've been on the lookout for since taking the CHL training. I'm thinking about contacting them about it.

Seems like I should compliment them on their good judgement for only allowing unarmed bank robbers at their fine institution, and that to repay their humanity forward, I'm going to find as many people just like me to open accounts.

A bank that doesn't allow security ought to like customers who have no money.

:biggrinjester:
LATE TO THE PARTY BUT:
I did change banks because of 30.06 signs going up. Used to bank at BoA in Irving. Had 2 business accounts, personal checking and savings as well as a few CD's. Went in 1 day and saw the sign, asked for the branch manager and proceeded to instruct him to close all of my accounts and why. Of course he begged me not to but I did. Opened new accounts in what was then Bank One and never looked back.
Happened to go by the BoA a few eeks later and signs were gone.
On another note, I have been working at the NASJRB for the las 6 weeks and cannot carry on base so I have had to leave it at home.. Felt really Naked and vulnerable.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Gaidheal
Banned

Post by Gaidheal »

I used to work for a very large US-based bank (one of the largest banks in the world, you will have heard of it) and not even at a branch position. Their campus here is not 30.06 posted and the handbook has no mention of weapons other than to prohibit their display, threatening behaviour, etc. Nowhere do they outright say "carry at work" but it was certainly not forbidden and I know I was not the only armed employeed going about their business at that location. :)

Don't waste time banking with organizations that won't respect your rights, you have many choices from small, local credit unions right up to multinationals like this one.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I carry everywhere I can and I have other things to protect me and my family ,like cold steel,a cane and pepper spray and street smarts. Oh I forgot my various flashlights. :txflag:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Nortex
Banned

Post by Nortex »

I would have just left the wife at home. After have had two deadly encounters early on in life, I don't do the unarmed silliness.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

My wife knows I'm going to be armed wherever it's legal to be armed and she'd never ask me to go unarmed.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

My wife was also unsure about why I felt the need to pursue my CHL. I had been out of law enforcement for several years and only carried on long trips. After I got my CHL she couldn't understand why I wanted to carry most if not all the time. We're only going to the grocery store etc..

It wasn't until the last few years and the recent well publicized shooting incidences that she began to understand. Now her only question is will it be a problem if someone sees you OC where we are going?
We don't go anywhere that prohibits CC (my son's school activities excluded) she has begun to increase her SA and will point out exits etc..
She has now decided to take the LTC class along with her sister and enthusiastically goes to the range to practice.
I look forward to the next few months as she begins to shop for holsters and other accessories once she receives her LTC .

:cheers2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Jusme wrote:snip... she has begun to increase her SA and will point out exits etc..
:cheers2:
That is great news, even if she didn't want to carry...better awareness means potentially avoiding a bad situation anyway... So good for her!
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Return to “Never Again!!”