LEO killed in Philly

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

LEO killed in Philly

Post by C-dub »

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150 ... 4x7LRAx.01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He never took cover, they said - instead drawing the gunfire away from the shoppers and store workers who huddled behind the counter.

And he fired back until a bullet struck him in the head.
There's a lesson to be learned there. As brave as it appears this officer was I think it may have been foolish and most certainly cost him his life. However, my opinion is also most certainly Monday morning quarterbacking. Had he taken cover immediately and then returned fire he might still be alive. Also, I doubt if he had taken cover that the thugs attention would have been drawn away from him towards others in the store and am almost certain that if he were shooting at them they would have stayed focused on him or trying to get out as quickly as they could.

The whole thing took about 30 seconds.

And there is the obligatory thoughts from those that knew one of them.
"He would not be the student that I would have expected to end up like this," said the school's founder, Veronica Joyner, who described him as quiet, neat, and mature during his time there. "We did everything we could to have him pointed in the right direction."
And universal background checks would not have stopped these two. They bought their guns on the street and both of them would probably have not been eligible anyway.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Re: LEO killed in Philly

Post by MeMelYup »

That write up sounds a lot like a Wild West shootout which took place in Philadelphia.
The news even stated that the firearms were purchased by the bad guys, from other bad guys, without background checks. Extended background checks would not have stopped this.
Condolences to the officers family.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

So so sad...RIP officer.

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

The citizens of Pennsylvania will now be paying for 3 hots and a cot for these two the rest of their lives. They could be in prison a long time, one BG is 29, the other 24.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MeMelYup »

baseballguy2001 wrote:The citizens of Pennsylvania will now be paying for 3 hots and a cot for these two the rest of their lives. They could be in prison a long time, one BG is 29, the other 24.
If they get a good lawyer they will get it reduced and be on the street in 5 years.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

MeMelYup wrote:
baseballguy2001 wrote:The citizens of Pennsylvania will now be paying for 3 hots and a cot for these two the rest of their lives. They could be in prison a long time, one BG is 29, the other 24.
If they get a good lawyer they will get it reduced and be on the street in 5 years.
If the prosecutor allows a plea bargain in the murder of an officer, he should probably be in jail with them.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

indie wrote:
And universal background checks would not have stopped these two. They bought their guns on the street and both of them would probably have not been eligible anyway.
Exactly. Someone who actually gets it.
I think everyone here gets it.

Welcome to the forum. :patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Never Again!!”