I'm lucky not to be shot.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dave09
Posts in topic: 2

I'm lucky not to be shot.

Post by Dave09 »

First lets get a little background out of the way. I was going to help out a friend pick up a washer and dryer from a web posting. I felt it best to go ahead and have my carry weapon in the center console of his truck since I would be doing some heavy lifting. This friend is a military veteran with plenty of experience around firearms. Then finally my concealed carry is a Glock 23.

The situation was my friend was in the driver seat and I had just stepped out of the vehicle on the passenger side with the door still open. This is the moment it happened. My friend was moving the firearm to retrieve something under it. He picked up the firearm from the holster instead of the frame of the firearm. The holster it was in was my concealed carry holster so no retention strap. The firearm fell out of the holster bounced on the seat, the floor board, and into the trash that was on the floor. I witnessed the firearm spin multiple times with the muzzle pointing towards me a couple times... In the end there was no accidental discharge or anything like that we just ended up extremely lucky.

With that said there were many mistakes there here are a couple.
My friend assumed there wasn't a round in chamber because it was not a way he was used to with someone carrying. rule number one broken.
My friend assumed there was a retention strap securing the weapon firmly to the holster.
I assumed that my friend was familiar with IWB holsters seeing as most use passive retention(pressure from the body against the holster).

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I'm lucky not to be shot.

Post by C-dub »

Heart stopping to be sure or a skipped beat at the least.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

Glad it worked out. I would go into how I store mine in the truck but I'm sure you have all that worked out by now. :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I recall Tom Gresham stating on his show that you should be able to run around and roll on the ground without your concealed pistol falling out. I think he was thinking that if you end up wrestling with an attacker you don't want your pistol falling on the ground.

I am not sure if my holsters would do that or not.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

With modern firearms, there is little chance of a surprise discharge due to a gun falling unless something slips into the trigger guard in the process, like a finger on a hand trying to catch it. I am glad the friend didn't try to catch the gun and everything worked out OK.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

MechAg94 wrote:I recall Tom Gresham stating on his show that you should be able to run around and roll on the ground without your concealed pistol falling out. I think he was thinking that if you end up wrestling with an attacker you don't want your pistol falling on the ground.

If you decide to test that, please remove the magazine and clear the chamber first.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

baldeagle wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:I recall Tom Gresham stating on his show that you should be able to run around and roll on the ground without your concealed pistol falling out. I think he was thinking that if you end up wrestling with an attacker you don't want your pistol falling on the ground.

If you decide to test that, please remove the magazine and clear the chamber first.
Definitely. Preferably with a blue gun instead. :mrgreen:

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I would have been more worried about the gun falling on the ground and getting scratched up. I do think it's a good thing his reflexes didn't make him try to catch it, especially being a Glock. That's not a slam on Glocks by the way.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Leather, nylon or Kydex?

None of my kydex holsters would do this, especially those with a retention screw like my Comp-tac Infidel.

If you have not already, spend the money on good polymer holsters. Stays open to reholster better, resists sweat and oils better, allows for better retention options like hugging the trigger guard, ejection port, etc.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
Dave09

Post by Dave09 »

AJSully421 wrote:Leather, nylon or Kydex?

None of my kydex holsters would do this, especially those with a retention screw like my Comp-tac Infidel.

If you have not already, spend the money on good polymer holsters. Stays open to reholster better, resists sweat and oils better, allows for better retention options like hugging the trigger guard, ejection port, etc.
Its actually a kydex/leather holster that i use and the retention is just fine when i have it on my side. This is what I currently use http://www.tripletholsters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

If it's a Glock, doesn't it have the "trigger safety" on it?
If so, it would even be more difficult to have it discharge "by itself"
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Dave09 wrote:

Its actually a kydex/leather holster that i use and the retention is just fine when i have it on my side. This is what I currently use http://www.tripletholsters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Interesting... should not easily come out with the molding in the kydex acting like a retention. I don't know then... glad you didn't get deaf or dead.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Being a Glock, it will NOT fire when dropped, unless something's broken (or as previously mentioned, if someone tried to grab it and got their finger in the trigger guard).

Glocks have not just the little doohickey on the trigger, but a firing pin block as well. The firing pin has a cutout on one side that matches a vertical plunger held inside the slide. When the trigger is depressed, a portion of the trigger mechanism pushes this spring-loaded plunger up, freeing the firing pin. Until the trigger is pulled, that firing pin -cannot- reach the primer of the chambered round.

AR 15s, most pump shotguns, and several other firearms lack this mechanism, and are not safe to drop with a loaded chamber. Glocks, however, along with most modern pistols, are perfectly safe when dropped. It's still unnerving to have the wrong end of it pointed at one's self, though.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

AJSully421 wrote:
Dave09 wrote:

Interesting... should not easily come out with the molding in the kydex acting like a retention. I don't know then... glad you didn't get deaf or dead.
My crossbreed has very good retention when I am wearing it because the leather is being pressed against the gun by my hip. when not being worn, this pressure is not there. If it were to retain off body like that, the increase in the retention while wearing it wouldn't be preferable.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

Some people just never connect.
My friends still ask about my firearms "is it loaded?"
And they get them same old lecture each time, the punch line is a gun is not unloaded until they check for themselves.
You may have the last word.

Return to “Never Again!!”