A man died Tuesday night after he shot himself in the chest while cleaning his gun, police said.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

A man died Tuesday night after he shot himself in the chest while cleaning his gun, police said.

Post by oljames3 »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/sfl ... story.html

"A man died Tuesday night after he shot himself in the chest while cleaning his gun, police said.

Josmel Herrera, 43, accidentally shot himself while "explaining the proper way to clean a firearm" on a video call with a family member, according to the Miami-Dade Police Department.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue received several calls about a shooting inside a home in the 10600 block of Southwest 27th Street just before 7:30 p.m.

Paramedics performed emergency care and took Herrera to Kendall Regional Trauma Center, where he died.

The investigation is ongoing, police said."

1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Countryside
Banned

Re: A man died Tuesday night after he shot himself in the chest while cleaning his gun, police said.

Post by Countryside »

Other than pointing the gun at his chest and pulling the trigger, I wonder what other helpful tips he offered? :shock:

Jago668

Re: A man died Tuesday night after he shot himself in the chest while cleaning his gun, police said.

Post by Jago668 »

I don't care how unloaded I know my gun is. I'm not going to point it at myself and pull the trigger. I won't look down the barrel until it is in pieces on my cleaning mat. When the slide, barrel, frame, and spring are all in separate spots you should be safe. I say should because I refuse to rule anything out when human stupidity and laziness is involved.

All that said still sorry for his family's loss. Always bad to see someone go when there was no reason for it.
NRA Benefactor Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

It used to give me the creeps to look down the barrel to see how clean it was even when the gun had been disassembled and the barrel removed from the gun. I used to do this like peering over the side of a cliff or something.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

C-dub wrote:It used to give me the creeps to look down the barrel to see how clean it was even when the gun had been disassembled and the barrel removed from the gun. I used to do this like peering over the side of a cliff or something.
You're looking down the business end. Turn the barrel around and look down the receiver end, and you'll find that the fear subsides. :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

Most insurance companies do not pay for suicides. Maybe he wanted it to look like an accident. I have seen this several times in my past career.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

carlson1 wrote:Most insurance companies do not pay for suicides. Maybe he wanted it to look like an accident. I have seen this several times in my past career.
Some pay double for accidental death.
That being said, I still say prayers for his family and loved ones.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

twomillenium wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Most insurance companies do not pay for suicides. Maybe he wanted it to look like an accident. I have seen this several times in my past career.
Some pay double for accidental death.
That being said, I still say prayers for his family and loved ones.
:iagree: prayers for the whole family. It is a tragedy either way.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

It's my understanding life insurance policies cover suicide once 2 years have elapsed.

Some of you insurance folk correct me please if I'm wrong.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Abraham wrote:It's my understanding life insurance policies cover suicide once 2 years have elapsed.

I would think there are some out there that may pay after two years. I do know our policies will not, but like was said above it does pays double if it was an accident.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Abraham » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:43 am

It's my understanding life insurance policies cover suicide once 2 years have elapsed.

I am not an expert on insurance.
A buddy told me a long time ago that Life Insurance doesn't get paid if you are committing a felony. For example,
If you get killed while trying to rob a bank, then your widow doesn't get paid.
In Texas it is a felony to commit suicide.

I've never tried to look this up. It just seemed too creepy.

However,
I would not be surprised to find out this to be true.
Insurance companies send lobbyists to Austin, every other state capital, and Washington D.C.

So...
If the fear of god doesn't keep you from suicide, you can add the fear that the insurance companies will cheat your widow out of the money.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Sad story. Prayers sent for His Family.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

baldeagle wrote:
C-dub wrote:It used to give me the creeps to look down the barrel to see how clean it was even when the gun had been disassembled and the barrel removed from the gun. I used to do this like peering over the side of a cliff or something.
You're looking down the business end. Turn the barrel around and look down the receiver end, and you'll find that the fear subsides. :biggrinjester:
I look from either direction now without the slightest bit of angst once it has been removed. However, that was still funny. :thumbs2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Never Again!!”