A True Accidental Shooting

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

A True Accidental Shooting

Post by Excaliber »

This horrific story details how a 10 year competitive shooter was severely wounded and permanently crippled by the discharge of a gun that she hadn't touched in her holster.

Investigation showed that it was caused by the "basement gunsmithing" done by the previous owner she had recently purchased the gun from. The video in this link is well worth watching.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A True Accidental Shooting

Post by RHenriksen »

That's horrible
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

Still a "negligent discharge" but by the previous owner's negligence, not the woman who happened to be in possession of it when it went off.

The person who modified the gun should be permanently banned from competitive shooting.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I found a 1911 in my Dad's car trunk after he passed. When I was making sure it was unloaded, I new it had been modified when I racked the slide. I took it to a friend who is a 1911 guru. It had been kitchen gunsmithed so much that all internals except the trigger had to be replaced.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TVGuy »

bblhd672 wrote:Still a "negligent discharge" but by the previous owner's negligence, not the woman who happened to be in possession of it when it went off.

The person who modified the gun should be permanently banned from competitive shooting.
He probably won't be able to afford to after she gets finished with him.

george72

Post by george72 »

That is very unfortunate, and this and many other reasons are why I only buy new from dealers.

Dirvin

Post by Dirvin »

If you have a firearm on you, you should have a tourniquet on you. Period.
Does anyone (everyone) do this? Should we?

I always have a basic first aid kit in all of my vehicles, but I don't think any have a tourniquet.
No Slack-slack is just half a pair of pants
-Charlie "Rowdy" Yates

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

Dirvin wrote:

I always have a basic first aid kit in all of my vehicles, but I don't think any have a tourniquet.
I have a tourniquet, an Israeli battle dressing and a trauma kit in my range bag. Really should get another set for EDC/vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Application-Tour ... tourniquet
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor

Post by rotor »

Comments that I can think of, this is one time that being a big girl saved her life. Skinny girl might have bled out even with a tourniquet. Location above the knee arterial bleed would likely have been fatal especially in time span it took to get to the hospital. Below knee at least gave her a chance. Can't believe hospital one sent her home in 3 hours.

I don't carry a tourniquet but every Boy Scout knows how to make one. Ninety minute ambulance ride with a tourniquet on would be tough to keep a leg.

Finally, doesn't every one check to make sure that everything in a gun works right? Will the safety mechanisms work when the gun is unloaded, not when it is loaded?

I hope that this video is not part of a malpractice suit and the deep pockets are of course hospital one and not the seller of the gun.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I would urge anyone who shoots or supervises live fire activities to take some trauma care classes and carry a trauma kit complete with at least one CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet) or SOF-T with them any time they go to the range (if not all the time). With modern medical practices and the use of well-designed tourniquets lives and limbs are being saved after having a tourniquet applied for 4-6 hours.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

bblhd672 wrote:
Dirvin wrote:

I have a tourniquet, an Israeli battle dressing and a trauma kit in my range bag. Really should get another set for EDC/vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Application-Tour ... tourniquet
Mine also includes a pair of chest seals and a pair of medical gloves.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Dirvin wrote:

I have an AFAK on my pack. Tourniquet, Israeli Bandage, packing gauze (w/anticlot), chest seal, Benchmade Hook Cutter, and gloves.

Hopefully will never need it, but more likely to need it in Dallas for roadside accident than a shooting, but I always carry it and know how to use it.

Consider taking a class with Caleb at Lone Star Medics: http://lonestarmedics.com/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

rotor

Post by rotor »

Much more than I learned in Boy Scouts. I also learned that one needs to be sure they don't get a Chinese counterfeit when buying a tourniquet, especially on Amazon. And to get the latest version. Not easy to be sure.

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

Dirvin wrote:

Keep one with bandages in my range bag and made sure my adult son has the same kit for his bag.

Return to “Never Again!!”