Why You Should Always Check The Firearm

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why You Should Always Check The Firearm

Post by RPBrown »

And the first rule of gun safety is???????????????????????????????????
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Post by E.Marquez »

RPBrown wrote:And the first rule of gun safety is???????????????????????????????????
Place the index finger over the muzzle and squeeze the trigger??
No wait, yes, no hold on, ok umm, never mind I forget, what is it again? :biggrinjester:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I remember seeing this video last year after I got involved in shooting sports again. This incident set a personal policy in stone for me that I check every gun handed to me to ensure it is unloaded, even if the person handing it to me checked it.

Only a couple of occasions in the last year where a store clerk failed to check the gun before handing it over.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

In the video, it looks like he cycles the slide before shooting himself. I guess he looked at an empty chamber and was satisfied...but if the slide doesn't lock back like it's supposed to...???
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My personal thought is that some people think that when you check or recheck the firearm you are some how questioning their ability. It is just good policy plus you can ever be too careful with things that can kill you.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Similar thing happened at Wichita Falls gun show probably 6+ months ago. Vendor had a shotgun go off that was loaded and several people had minor injuries. They safety check people bringing guns in for sale but apparently didn't check vendors.

Jnazee

Post by Jnazee »

E.Marquez wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:How did a loaded gun end up in the display counter?
AM
There are so many "How did that happen's" in that video it defies logic.

We all "know" to clear a weapon before bringing it to a shop, dealer, friends house, or handing it off to another person.
Yet it happens all the time that there is a round in the chamber of a "empty" gun...HOW??

There is a video floating around of a gun shop that had a large , like 1 gal sized jar on the counter for collected rounds ejected from already "cleared empty" guns brought into the shop. As I remember it, the large jar was over half filled and it was only mid month...
At 2:24 they bring out a the jar

flechero

Post by flechero »

RogueUSMC wrote:In the video, it looks like he cycles the slide before shooting himself. I guess he looked at an empty chamber and was satisfied...but if the slide doesn't lock back like it's supposed to...???
I think he tried to dry fire before and had to rack it to reset the trigger...

He either didn't notice the mag (w/o mag the slide wouldn't lock open) or doesn't realize it should have locked open.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

bblhd672 wrote:I remember seeing this video last year after I got involved in shooting sports again. This incident set a personal policy in stone for me that I check every gun handed to me to ensure it is unloaded, even if the person handing it to me checked it.

Only a couple of occasions in the last year where a store clerk failed to check the gun before handing it over.
If a firearm is not Chamber visible when handed to me the first thing I do is check the chamber, even if I have observed the other person check the chamber and/or magazine.

While I have not had a clerk fail to check, a few years back at a Gander Mountain I had a clerk at the other end of a counter swing a muzzle across me about three times in just a couple of minutes. I had a chat with the local supervisor. He said he would have a chat with the clerk.

In this case I didn't feel threatened, because I had observed him checking the weapon before showing it to the couple in front of him, but it still irritated me severely that he was that careless after starting out so well.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

30 yrs ago a friend was over and asked to see a pistol that I had sitting on the table. I dropped the loaded mag and checked the chamber then handed to him. A few minutes later he said there was something wrong with the safety and handed it to me. I was checking out the safety and ended up with a 22 lr in my leg. He had put the mag back to in before saying anything and handing it back to me. I was lucky that it wasn't worse. I check and if it leaves my sight or my hands I check again. I've had comments on how much I check then I explain why. It will NOT happen to me again and I try to instill it in others so it won't happen to anyone else.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

E.Marquez wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:How did a loaded gun end up in the display counter?
AM
There are so many "How did that happen's" in that video it defies logic.

We all "know" to clear a weapon before bringing it to a shop, dealer, friends house, or handing it off to another person.
Yet it happens all the time that there is a round in the chamber of a "empty" gun...HOW??

There is a video floating around of a gun shop that had a large , like 1 gal sized jar on the counter for collected rounds ejected from already "cleared empty" guns brought into the shop. As I remember it, the large jar was over half filled and it was only mid month...
Oh I'm sure you're spot on correct; but it still boggles the mind. There are plenty of stories about gunstore employees who have to confront a customer who wants to draw his holstered weapon to show it to the clerk, so seeing the stupidity from the customer side doesn't surprise me at all. Darwin is alive and well, it seems. But having the stupidity extend to the sales-side of the counter like that, having put a loaded gun on display without having ever checked to see if it was loaded is just appalling.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Never Again!!”