First time as a civilian drawing my weapon preparing to engage

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 6

First time as a civilian drawing my weapon preparing to engage

Post by E.Marquez »

Don't know if I want to put this and never again or something else so I'll put it here and MODs can move it as they see fit.

If somebody signals for help I'm apt to do that just kind of the way I'm wired.

On my way down 195 headed to Buda I had two military age males waving and signaling and honking at the intersection at me not sure if there is something falling out of my truck or they needed help so I pulled over.

Both passenger and driver got out of the car and approached speaking broken English but moving in a manner I perceived as aggressive for the situation.

Signaling with my offhand to stop and speaking in my best Spanglish STOP..

They continue to advance and I perceived actually spread apart, both left and right.
I again stated halt and got a little animated with my offhand trying to signal them to stop or go back.
They continue to advance approaching to about 15 feet

Cleared my shirt drew my weapon, Two hand Low ready and continue to aggressively say stop Halt stop halt

Both stopped dead in their tracks passenger turned around went back to vehicle driver had hands up and got out words that made me understand he was lost and trying to find the road to Austin

I created some additional space holstered my weapon but kept it uncovered and the driver and I worked through directions to 35
Not exactly difficult since all he had to do was stay on 195 another 4 miles.

I went back to my truck got my dogs calmed down and noted the vehicle make model, license plate number and called 911 to report the incident

Under the adage the first to to call is the victim, the second or more the suspect.
Information taken no offers to respond as event is over.

As I go through this in my mind I don't feel I overreacted I do feel a little concerned that they perceived I overreacted.
But secondly I honestly can't say that it wasn't an attack, a carjacking, a theft that they simply changed their minds about once they realized I wasn't a soft target.

The "never again part" might be to not pull over without having at least a second person with me ..

But honestly I don't know that I'll ever do that. I understand asking for help is a tactic used by the bad guys occasionally .
But I don't want to be that guy that is too afraid to help and find out later somebody died who I could've provided life saving aid to.

We tend to not see what is right in front of us, so as I review this I can't see anything I would do differently but perhaps somebody else will
Somebody will likely suggest don't stop, that really isn't on the table for me unless I perceive a threat in which case I would've just kept driving and called 911.

Why did I get out of the vehicle?
Because I didn't think I could adequately keep both under observation if they went to both sides of the car.

Outside the car I had freedom of movement to use the car is an obstacle and maneuver for a cover or better line of fire if needed.

EDIT: Wow I did not realize how many voice to text typos there were in that first post..... I just read it tonight what a mess, yet folks seemed to have understood the post.
Last edited by E.Marquez on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: First time as a civilian drawing my weapon preparing to engage

Post by Beiruty »

Did 911 send help? What happened to those who claimed they are lost?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Beiruty wrote:Did 911 send help? What happened to those who claimed they are lost?
They left as I was walking back to my truck and no nobody was dispatched

really couldn't tell the dispatcher anything was wrong or suspicious that point

There was nobody but me on site interview
And they had full descriptive information of those people and vehicle to include license plate so perhaps they put out the word to contact them if seen elsewhere
I don't know any law-enforcement in that area I'm pretty sure it's sheriff or state trooper only I don't believe there's a PD
So I can't really ask anybody I know if they be on the lookout was issued

I had zero red flags or concerns as I was stopping and getting out of the truck so I hadn't already called 911
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

Good thing, no one was hurt, everyone parted his way. Have a good day.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Post by crazy2medic »

I have taught both my children and my wife that when the voice in the back of your head tells you something is amiss to listen to it and get out of there, our primative brain, our survival instinct whatever you chose to call it will clue in on things our higher intellect will ignore, if a situation feels bad, it probably is and you should either leave or prepare to defend yourself!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

You did just fine. From what I can read you were being a Good Samaritan and trying to help a couple guys. #1 your already a little nervous because you don't know these guys from Adam and you don't know their intent. #2 they started approaching you and would not obey your command to STOP! They kept coming and and you feared for your safety. That's the perfect example for why we all carry. Nobody was hurt or had to be carried to the hospital and the only damage done was the pee running down their legs.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

crazy2medic wrote:I have taught both my children and my wife that when the voice in the back of your head tells you something is amiss to listen to it and get out of there, our primative brain, our survival instinct whatever you chose to call it will clue in on things our higher intellect will ignore, if a situation feels bad, it probably is and you should either leave or prepare to defend yourself!

This is a good policy. When I've taken self-defense or personal safety classes, the instructors typically stress that we should listen to our gut, and if a situation feels wrong we should try to change the circumstances. If you see two rough looking guys coming toward you and your inner senses tell you there's potential trouble, cross the street and get out of that situation. It's just like the usual advice here when someone starts to exhibit road rage. Take an exit and get away.

crazy2medic has good advice above.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

There have been times that I've stopped to render assistance to somebody on the side of the road, and there are times I've just driven on. There have been plenty of cases where a 'break down' has been used to facilitate a carjacking. I will typically assess the situation as I drive up. Is the person male or female? Young or old? Is the vehicle close to cover where another person could be hiding? Are the temperatures extremely hot of cold? Does that voice in the back of my head tell me something smells fishy? All of that, and more, usually determine whether I will stop.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

crazy2medic wrote:I have taught both my children and my wife that when the voice in the back of your head tells you something is amiss to listen to it and get out of there, our primative brain, our survival instinct whatever you chose to call it will clue in on things our higher intellect will ignore, if a situation feels bad, it probably is and you should either leave or prepare to defend yourself!
I agree, and believe in the same.
I have a respectable amount of experience with being approached by armed and unarmed folks whose intentions are largely unknown..And I THINK Im a pretty good judge of "this dont feel right"
I did not get that sense from the initial encounter, and in reflection I think that was because overall there was no ill will or hostile intent.

In hindsight it was two mostly non English speakers lost, who approached in a manner likely normal and common to them that to an outsider, and more outsider trained to assess and act when needed perceived the POSSIBILITY of hostel intent and reacted accordingly. As soon as it was reasonable to take it down a notch i did, and they seemed no worse for the encounter.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

KC5AV wrote:There have been times that I've stopped to render assistance to somebody on the side of the road, and there are times I've just driven on. There have been plenty of cases where a 'break down' has been used to facilitate a carjacking. I will typically assess the situation as I drive up. Is the person male or female? Young or old? Is the vehicle close to cover where another person could be hiding? Are the temperatures extremely hot of cold? Does that voice in the back of my head tell me something smells fishy? All of that, and more, usually determine whether I will stop.
Absolutely....in this day and age of cell phones, instant communication, availability of wrecker service, ect Im not apt to stop for every broken down car on the side of the road..
Limited cell coverage, bad weather, accident, sure....
Of all the car side of the road scenarios that red flag the most for me it is that single female looking hapless next to her car in the dark....
"Look Im helpless, come save me, never mind you can not see into the dark what is just over there in the grass"
I'll call 911 and report it in a heart beat....if I have a clear line of sight all around the vehicle I might stop well back and assess the situation, drive up with some lateral space and speak to her though a partially open window, doors locked, weapon out, but out of sight.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I'm glad you are alright and nothing happend.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

My Tranny broke one evening when I was in Pipe Creek. Dark was coming on and it was raining. I was surprised that a half dozen folks ( men and women) stopped to ask if I needed help. I always stop and at least offer the use of my cell phone, I just stay hype vigilant and keep my distance until I have accessed the situation.

I did stop to help the stranded lady with a flat and baby one day. Once I stopped and exited my truck two men appeared from the brush ( Wesr of San Antonio). I was sure was happy to be carrying. ( they weren't)

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

E.Marquez,
From reading your post, I do not doubt that your "Spanglish" is better than mine.

How did you not remember that Stop in Spanish is "ALTO"? :txflag:

Personally I bellow out "Freeze Expletive Deleted "!! The "Expletive Deleted" varies and is sometimes omitted. Something to do with my LEO days.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I suspect that this was something more than folks innocently looking for directions. Back before GPS on cell phones I sometimes got lost and I did the logical thing of finding the nearest convenience store and asking the clerk how to get to where I was going. Flagging down a random vehicle to ask for directions is extremely shady to say the least.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

cmgee67 wrote:You did just fine. From what I can read you were being a Good Samaritan and trying to help a couple guys. #1 your already a little nervous because you don't know these guys from Adam and you don't know their intent. #2 they started approaching yohndu and would not obey your command to STOP! They kept coming and and you feared for your safety. That's the perfect example for why we all carry. Nobody was hurt or had to be carried to the hospital and the only damage done was the pee running down their legs.
In my experience, anyone who ignores verbal and universally understood hand signals to stop approaching has shown himself to be a threat and must be treated as such.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “Never Again!!”