Blindsided

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Blindsided

Post by kw5kw »

Most places I go I have already been through and know the places where I will stop for gas.

Also, I think that OPEN carry is your best friend at a gas station. Before I started carrying openly I would get asked for money all the time, I have never even been approached since I've started open carrying. A 1911 carried in Condition ONE is a huge deterrent!

Rules that I do my best to follow at the gas station.
1) Turn off engine, even in very hot or cold weather. Never leave your engine running if you are alone, way to easy for someone to simply jump in and drive off with your vehicle and cargo. This is a rule if you are alone, you can bypass this if you have two 80 pound black labs or a passenger who will lock the door behind you.

2) Close all windows and doors. LOCK the vehicle. See above about dogs and passenger.

3) Pay with a card at the pump, don't go in to pay. I don't like walking across the parking lot especially at night.

4) If you have to go inside to use the restroom or get a drink; move the vehicle away from the pumps and closer to the door.

5) While at a gas station, stay in condition ORANGE! Keep your head on a swivel, let your passenger clean the windshield if needed, especially at night. Hard to see anyone getting close if your paying attention to that bug on the windshield that you can't get off. Your gun is a much more effective weapon than the squeegee!

6) Try to get gas during the day if possible!

7) Don't talk to anyone except a station employee.

When I'm home I have one station that I go to, I keep my head on a swivel.

When I'm at my daughter's house in The Colony, I have one station that I would stop at.

Same goes, when I'm at my daughter's house in San Antonio, I stop at one particular HEB.

When I go to Amarillo or Lubbock I know the places that I'll stop before I go. Even driving all the way to California, I have my stop locations already located (many, many trips to San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas). I always stop at a Love's, TA or Pilot truck stops.

Scariest place to get gas is Vegas! Almost no place that I consider completely safe. Way, way too many homeless there.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Nano

Post by Nano »

kw5kw, I really like your list. I do every thing on the list except lock the doors. :nono: I will do that from now on when I am by myself. :txflag:
NRA Member

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

kw5kw wrote:4) If you have to go inside to use the restroom or get a drink; move the vehicle away from the pumps and closer to the door.
This person waiting for a pump thanks you.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

:iagree: I'm tired of people using the space in front of the pump as a parking space. I also get tired of gassers using the only diesel/ gas pump when 10 gas only pumps are available . If it is the only pump open, I understand.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

WTR wrote::iagree: I'm tired of people using the space in front of the pump as a parking space. I also get tired of gassers using the only diesel/ gas pump when 10 gas only pumps are available . If it is the only pump open, I understand.
I'm guilty of using the space in front of a pump. Because I'm in a big truck and parking can be tight in front of the station, I'll sometimes park in front of a pump. But I'll only do it if I find a broken pump and/or there are plenty of open pumps available. Generally if the gas station is full, I'll find another one to go to.

Dad24GreatKids

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

One thing I'll add to the OP's list is to use the vehicle to put space between you and someone who approaches. Normally I try to stand in front of the hood or at the rear by the trunk. If someone approaches I can quickly move to put some space and a barrier between us.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

WTR wrote::iagree: I'm tired of people using the space in front of the pump as a parking space. I also get tired of gassers using the only diesel/ gas pump when 10 gas only pumps are available . If it is the only pump open, I understand.
The diesel pump blockers are one of my pet peeves.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 pm (off the 75)

Dunno many Texans that says "the" 75. How long ago did you move from CA? ;)
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Return to “Never Again!!”