TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Post Reply

Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6442
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#1

Post by philip964 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:09 pm

https://www.click2houston.com/news/chil ... ctives-say

6 year old kills himself with a gun he found in his house.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/4-ye ... police-say

4 year old kills himself with a gun he found in grandmother's house.

RIP little kids, died a day apart for the same reason.

Lock up your guns, if you have children around your house.

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5605
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#2

Post by puma guy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:31 pm

Tragic results of negligence on the part of the gun owners. Prayers for the families of the children.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image


Chaparral
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#3

Post by Chaparral » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:52 pm

if there is even the remotest possibility of children, teenagers, or even visiting adults in your home, then all loaded firearms should be either securely holstered on your person, or locked up. Period. Quick-access safes are available for when things go bump in the night.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#4

Post by oljames3 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:13 pm

Chaparral wrote:if there is even the remotest possibility of children, teenagers, or even visiting adults in your home, then all loaded firearms should be either securely holstered on your person, or locked up. Period. Quick-access safes are available for when things go bump in the night.
:iagree:
The safest place for my pistol is on my person. My M&P lives in its Safariland ALS. My wife's Walther PPS M2 is in its Nemesis in her pocket. Pistols not being worn are secured in a case or with a cylinder or cable lock.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

Deltaboy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 802
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Johnson County TX

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#5

Post by Deltaboy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:56 am

I doubt kids are anymore curious than we were but we were taught never to touch a gun with out dad! This was reinforced with a belt! So I mark these sad stories to poor parenting and poor gun storage though Dad kept a 12 gauge loaded by the backdoor! The fact I was told no and the absolute fact Dad would use that belt curbed my curiosity!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.


ml1209
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 347
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:17 pm

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#6

Post by ml1209 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Yikes, that has got to be my most fear as a gun owner. I am really paranoid about my firearms when kids are around.


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1930
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#7

Post by flechero » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Deltaboy wrote: The fact I was told no and the absolute fact Dad would use that belt curbed my curiosity!
So true... we did a lot of crazy things as kids but there were certain lines you didn't cross... As a 47 year old man, I can still hear leather clearing belt loops anytime I think of Dad's belt... and to this day it still makes me cringe!

Although 4 & 6 year olds are pretty young... those guns needed to be holstered or locked up.


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#8

Post by crazy2medic » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Deltaboy wrote:I doubt kids are anymore curious than we were but we were taught never to touch a gun with out dad! This was reinforced with a belt! So I mark these sad stories to poor parenting and poor gun storage though Dad kept a 12 gauge loaded by the backdoor! The fact I was told no and the absolute fact Dad would use that belt curbed my curiosity!
:iagree:
My children were taught by the age of 4 to shoot, they were taught that touching my pistol (the only loaded gun in the house) would get them a whipping that wouldn't allow them to sit for a month, my daughter never had much interest, my son was definitely interested, he would go with me to shoot, when we got back from shooting i'd field strip it, show him the parts, explain what they did, let him handle the unloaded reassembled pistol, once it was loaded, told him if he so much as put a finger on it i'd wear out his backside! When I bought his mother a taurus m85 he showed a marked interest in that! He was 6yo, bought 50rd box of 38s, i made him shoot all 50 rds, he wasn't nearly as interested in it after that!
Last edited by crazy2medic on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#9

Post by crazy2medic » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:25 pm

flechero wrote:
Deltaboy wrote: The fact I was told no and the absolute fact Dad would use that belt curbed my curiosity!
So true... we did a lot of crazy things as kids but there were certain lines you didn't cross... As a 47 year old man, I can still hear leather clearing belt loops anytime I think of Dad's belt... and to this day it still makes me cringe!

Although 4 & 6 year olds are pretty young... those guns needed to be holstered or locked up.
Ditto, i'm 57 yo and the sound of a belt popping thru belt loops still gives me cold shivers up my spine!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention


WildRose
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:30 am

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#10

Post by WildRose » Fri May 04, 2018 4:05 am

philip964 wrote:https://www.click2houston.com/news/chil ... ctives-say

6 year old kills himself with a gun he found in his house.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/4-ye ... police-say

4 year old kills himself with a gun he found in grandmother's house.

RIP little kids, died a day apart for the same reason.

Lock up your guns, if you have children around your house.
The sad thing is that these types of tragedies are always avoidable.

My heart goes out to the families involved and I can't imagine what it would be like to have to live with the knowledge a kid killed themselves due to my negligence. That's just not something I think I could live with.
NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO,
Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7235
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#11

Post by RoyGBiv » Fri May 04, 2018 5:42 am

My kids were 6 or 7 when they started shooting. I stopped worrying (as much) about gun-curiosity when they stopped wanting to go to the range with me. :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: TX: Houston 4 and 6 year olds die in separate shootings when they find a gun

#12

Post by PriestTheRunner » Fri May 04, 2018 11:29 am

RoyGBiv wrote:My kids were 6 or 7 when they started shooting. I stopped worrying (as much) about gun-curiosity when they stopped wanting to go to the range with me. :lol:
Ding Ding Ding....

My 7-year-old daughter shoots "her" Ruger Mk IV Tactical at my parent's range (her grandparents house). At all other times it is kept in the safe at home.

I have the utmost confidence that she understands the severity and consequences of "playing" with firearms, whether at home or at a friends.

Just like how my parents let me try alcohol at 15. Wasn't too interested and it removed the peer-pressure aspect of 'drinking' when you have it before (and you have an 'out' by bragging about how cool your parents are). Experience removes the taboo aspect that fuels peer-pressure.

Post Reply

Return to “Never Again!!”