Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:41 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:01 am . . . I agree with others in this thread that the same policy should apply to LEO's, especially plain clothes.
Are you saying you think stores should bar armed LEOs in uniform?

Chas.
No. My comment was specifically about plain clothes officers.

For the record, I think that stores should not bar anyone for carrying (openly or concealed). But I was trying to get into the mind of the business owners who do bar OC. Most often, I hear the idea that the sight of a gun will scare their customers. Presumably, these customers aren't so skittish that they would panic at the sight of a uniformed LEO who is armed. But if their customers are really this irrational in the first place then they would likely not be able to distinguish between a plain clothes officer and a mere civilian who is legally OC'ing. So following along this thought process, it would make sense to require everyone not in an obvious LEO uniform to untuck their shirt so as to not scare the snowflakes.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BBYC »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 pm
NNT wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:05 pm
OlBill wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:36 pm
NNT wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:35 pm
Liberty wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 am The cop didn't have to disarm all he had to do was cover it up. Just like us of the lower classes are required to do. What bothers me is that people for some reason this guy is entitled more than the rest of us.
I’m not a LEO but it’s seems logical if he has his badge on display he is representing himself as a LEO, and a gun and a badge are a matched set. Why would a uniform even come into the conversation? He does have special rights. He can arrest people, that’s a special right. Doesn’t make him royalty, but he should be able to carry the tools of his trade.
It's not a right. It's a delegated authority.
What’s the difference.? All “rights” are delegated from somewhere/someone. Constitution, God, nature, HOA, My boss...bottom line he has the authority. Symantics.
:iagree: And for all of those that like to OC and not cover up if you want the authority so you can even carry in Whataburger then do the Police Academy.
Only the police and military should have handguns.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

txglock21
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txglock21 »

I only know about their policy because of this forum. If I was an uninformed LTC holder and was told to leave without a 30.07 sign on the door, I would be a peeved. If Whataburger doesn't want to post a "big ugly sign", they could simply do as Taco Cabana did and put a small window sticker saying please cover your weapon or leave in vehicle before entering. (I'm paraphrasing of course) In this particular instance, I think they were wrong to refuse the officer because he WAS in uniform, HIS uniform. Maybe this is a good excuse for a LTC badge! :biggrinjester: "rlol"
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

carlson1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by carlson1 »

BBYC wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:05 pm
carlson1 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 pm
Liberty wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 am The cop didn't have to disarm all he had to do was cover it up. Just like us of the lower classes are required to do. What bothers me is that people for some reason this guy is entitled more than the rest of us.
I’m not a LEO but it’s seems logical if he has his badge on display he is representing himself as a LEO, and a gun and a badge are a matched set. Why would a uniform even come into the conversation? He does have special rights. He can arrest people, that’s a special right. Doesn’t make him royalty, but he should be able to carry the tools of his trade.
What’s the difference.? All “rights” are delegated from somewhere/someone. Constitution, God, nature, HOA, My boss...bottom line he has the authority. Symantics.
:iagree: And for all of those that like to OC and not cover up if you want the authority so you can even carry in Whataburger then do the Police Academy.
Only the police and military should have handguns.
Your words not mine.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BBYC »

"If you want a military style rifle, join the military."

"If you want to carry a handgun, become a cop."

And so it goes.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

BBYC wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:30 pm "If you want a military style rifle, join the military."

"If you want to carry a handgun, become a cop."

And so it goes.
If you want to express your opinions, become a reporter. If you want a say in who governs you, join the government.

Pretty soon we will have a totalitarian utopia! :woohoo

mayor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mayor »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am
mayor wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am
mojo84 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:13 am
mayor wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:07 am

I like the idea of just leaving and report a theft.
Give this a shot and let us know how it works out for you.
I didn't say it is a good idea.
I guess I misinterpreted, "I like the idea of just leaving and report a theft."
You did. No where in the post did I say I might 'give it a shot'.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Grundy1133 »

mayor wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:39 pm
mojo84 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am
mayor wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am
mojo84 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:13 am
mayor wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:07 am

I like the idea of just leaving and report a theft.
Give this a shot and let us know how it works out for you.
I didn't say it is a good idea.
I guess I misinterpreted, "I like the idea of just leaving and report a theft."
You did. No where in the post did I say I might 'give it a shot'.
:roll:
NRA Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

"If" WAB truly leaves this up to individual manager's discretion, then it creates a bigger problem when managers move around to different locations. Say you frequent WAB #1234 while open carrying and the manager nor employees ever say anything about it. That guy gets transferred, new manager comes in and immediately starts telling customers "no open carry allowed."

Open carry should not be left up to an individual's personal prejudices. It creates confusion and bad will toward your business. WAB Corp needs to come down on one side of the fence or the other. Post a sign or get over it.

And make sure all your employees understand that law enforcement officers whether in uniform or not are welcomed and appreciated at all times. Make it a one strike you're out offense if any employee from the newest fry cook to the district manager refuses service to any law enforcement officer because of his profession or the type of uniform (regular, relaxed, business suit or off duty) he/she is wearing at the time.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

#DriveThru :cool:
NRA Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Whataburger has been pretty successful so far.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Allons
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Allons »

Looks like a party melt meal night. :cool:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Misfit Child

Post by Misfit Child »

Maybe they should install one of these in every government building for public servants who are asked to follow the same rules as the public they serve.
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=92332

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I completely disagree.

NNT
Posts in topic: 5

Post by NNT »

OlBill wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:53 pm
I completely disagree.
Which part? What is your definition of a right?

Return to “Never Again!!”