ND While Carrying Appendix

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ND While Carrying Appendix

Post by Odinvalknir »

Update on the agent. He's been charged with second degree assault. Hopefully the idiot loses his job, play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Odinvalknir wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:50 pm Update on the agent. He's been charged with second degree assault. Hopefully the idiot loses his job, play stupid games and win stupid prizes.
I think you meant this post for the dancing FBI agent thread.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

People are far more likely to "holster" part of a shirt when using an IWB holster v. a belt holster. I've seen it countless times over the years both in IDPA matches and teaching non-LTC classes. It has happened to me, but it was always my undershirt. Thankfully, there have been no ADs, but seeing this video gives a new perspective. Obviously, "holstering" a shirt along with your handgun doesn't necessarily result in an AD, but having an external thumb safety will remove the risk.

Please don't claim the lever in the middle of a trigger is a "safety." It's not, regardless what GlockSmithSpringfieldCZ claim. Unlike the case covered in the video, a shirt isn't going to disengage the thumb safety on my 1911s.

I'm not saying people shouldn't carry plastic striker-fired handguns without an external safety. I am saying to use this man's unfortunate incident as a wake-up call.

Chas.

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:16 pm People are far more likely to "holster" part of a shirt when using an IWB holster v. a belt holster. I've seen it countless times over the years both in IDPA matches and teaching non-LTC classes. It has happened to me, but it was always my undershirt. Thankfully, there have been no ADs, but seeing this video gives a new perspective. Obviously, "holstering" a shirt along with your handgun doesn't necessarily result in an AD, but having an external thumb safety will remove the risk.

Please don't claim the lever in the middle of a trigger is a "safety." It's not, regardless what GlockSmithSpringfieldCZ claim. Unlike the case covered in the video, a shirt isn't going to disengage the thumb safety on my 1911s.

I'm not saying people shouldn't carry plastic striker-fired handguns without an external safety. I am saying to use this man's unfortunate incident as a wake-up call.

Chas.
It was a wake up call for me. I carry the G43 (with a TLR6) in a GCode appendix holster, BUT no more. I will still carry appendix with my J Frames, but nothing else. Because my back problems have came back with a vengeance I have been limited to my revolvers anyways.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I winced in pain when I watched that video just now. I've toyed with appendix carry in the past, and that solidifies my feeling of never really being comfortable with it. And I'm glad that my EDC has a manual safety, even if it is a striker fired gun. That was another gut feeling that I went with a few years ago...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 pm
Odinvalknir wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:50 pm Update on the agent. He's been charged with second degree assault. Hopefully the idiot loses his job, play stupid games and win stupid prizes.
I think you meant this post for the dancing FBI agent thread.

Chas.

Oops, you are right I thought this was the thread for that idiot.

Return to “Never Again!!”