ND While Carrying Appendix

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

ND While Carrying Appendix

Post by carlson1 »

I found a video of this, but it violates Forum Rules and couldn’t be posted. It caught my attention because I often carry the same pistol in the same holster. Here is the article. It sounds as if the man is fortunate he did not bleed out.
http://concealednation.org/2018/06/watc ... f+The+Week
The firearm is said to be a Glock 43, and the holster a GCode INCOG. The GCode holster is a molded holster made of kydex, so we don’t think it was the holster’s fault.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ND While Carrying Appendix

Post by OneGun »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:53 am I found a video of this, but it violates Forum Rules and couldn’t be posted. It caught my attention because I often carry the same pistol in the same holster. Here is the article. It sounds as if the man is fortunate he did not bleed out.
The firearm is said to be a Glock 43, and the holster a GCode INCOG. The GCode holster is a molded holster made of kydex, so we don’t think it was the holster’s fault.
It is never the holster's fault. It is always the gun's fault. Never the owner's fault.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:53 am I found a video of this, but it violates Forum Rules and couldn’t be posted. It caught my attention because I often carry the same pistol in the same holster. Here is the article. It sounds as if the man is fortunate he did not bleed out.
I've watched that video a bunch of times. Even had a couple of vigorous discussions about it.

I'm of the opinion that he caught his shirt in the holster. It's a really long t-shirt. You can see him pull it clear on one side as he's holstering, but not completely clear on the other. He even pulls some of the excess over the belt for additional concealment.

Others think it must have a Zev trigger or some other mod.

What I do know is that lady was one cool customer. She handled that like a pro.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

What I do know that lady was one cool customer. She handled that like a pro.
I agree. She's been stress tested in the past.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Dang, told you those 1911s aren’t safe. "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

dlh

Post by dlh »

Would be good to know the real reason the gun discharged when it did.
His hands were nowhere near the trigger/trigger guard when the discharge happened as far as I can see.
Another reason why I "Israeli carry."
I bet the poor guy thought he was handling the gun safely then BOOM!. Must have been terrifying.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Couldn't see the video but if one is going to appendix carry one needs to consider the virtue of a mechanical safety or not carrying with one in the chamber (Israeli carry) if one is going to re-holster a gun such as with a Glock.
I do carry appendix sometimes but do not re-holster without first removing the holster. My holster is easy to remove.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The biggest safety issue of the Glock and similar type guns is that people don't recognize the inherent dangers of such guns. Excuses like "My safety is between my ears" are commonly heard. There is a reason why traditional SA/DA and 1911s were developed with manually operated safeties. Manual safeties can save lives and injuries. IWB carry with a Glock needs special attention. Accidents happen with Glocks that simply wouldn't happen with safer engineered gun owners need to recognize this.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I carry the same set up as this guy and I also carry a 642 with that holster. I will probably be carrying that 642 more now. Just seeing that video hurts.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

Liberty wrote:The biggest safety issue of the Glock and similar type guns is that people don't recognize the inherent dangers of such guns. Excuses like "My safety is between my ears" are commonly heard. There is a reason why traditional SA/DA and 1911s were developed with manually operated safeties. Manual safeties can save lives and injuries. IWB carry with a Glock needs special attention. Accidents happen with Glocks that simply wouldn't happen with safer engineered gun owners need to recognize this.
Stop the glock bashing. The same could be said with M&P Springfield, canik, Ruger and on and on. Yes you have to be more careful with a gun without a manual safety. The Glock actually has two safety’s. It has the Trigger safety and plunger safety. This means the only way the gun can go off is if trigger is fully pulled to the rear and the plunger safety raises up to release the striker. A Glock can not physically fire without the trigger being fully depressed to the rear and the plunger safety moving out of the way. Carry in a holster that fully covers the trigger guard and that securely holds the firearm. That’s why I choose kydex. This guy used kydex too so the only
Way it went off was something got in the trigger guard and pulled the trigger.

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txhighlander »

After watching the video several times, I believe he holstered his shirt when he holstered his Glock. The holster he was using if the make is correct has a full trigger guard. The weapon didn’t discharge till he leaned forward. I can’t see how this is a weapon or holster malfunction. His shirt or something else was in the trigger guard area and when he leaned forward it pulled the trigger. I don’t know anything about the holster other than what I looked up online . I don’t like Glocks but I have shot more than a few and they really don’t accidentally discharge without human intervention. Just my viewpoint. A different pistol that had a manual safety probability wouldn’t have discharged , but how many people other than the 1911 crowd engage their manual safeties while in the holster? Glad he lived to see another day.
Truth against the world

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

cmgee67 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Liberty wrote:The biggest safety issue of the Glock and similar type guns is that people don't recognize the inherent dangers of such guns. Excuses like "My safety is between my ears" are commonly heard. There is a reason why traditional SA/DA and 1911s were developed with manually operated safeties. Manual safeties can save lives and injuries. IWB carry with a Glock needs special attention. Accidents happen with Glocks that simply wouldn't happen with safer engineered gun owners need to recognize this.
Stop the glock bashing. The same could be said with M&P Springfield, canik, Ruger and on and on. Yes you have to be more careful with a gun without a manual safety. The Glock actually has two safety’s. It has the Trigger safety and plunger safety. This means the only way the gun can go off is if trigger is fully pulled to the rear and the plunger safety raises up to release the striker. A Glock can not physically fire without the trigger being fully depressed to the rear and the plunger safety moving out of the way. Carry in a holster that fully covers the trigger guard and that securely holds the firearm. That’s why I choose kydex. This guy used kydex too so the only Way it went off was something got in the trigger guard and pulled the trigger.
I don't intend to just bash Glocks, but their design, which just about every manufacturer is willing to follow. In my defense, I did say in the first sentence, "The biggest safety issue of the Glock and similar type guns" Actually, I fault the users and fanbois more than Glock the company, because they are the ones that go into denial when these incidents. Glock folks seem to be in denial that these types of guns carry certain risks that other guns have. Carrying a Glock (or simular gun) in appendix carry is riskier than other with other safer models.

I agree with you that it was something got in the way and pulled the trigger (probably T-shirt or outer shirt) The fact is that with a safer gun such as a 1911, or Beretta Storm the gun wouldn't have gone off under these circumstances. The whole design is a shortcut on safety.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

txhighlander wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:18 pm After watching the video several times, I believe he holstered his shirt when he holstered his Glock. The holster he was using if the make is correct has a full trigger guard. The weapon didn’t discharge till he leaned forward. I can’t see how this is a weapon or holster malfunction. His shirt or something else was in the trigger guard area and when he leaned forward it pulled the trigger. I don’t know anything about the holster other than what I looked up online . I don’t like Glocks but I have shot more than a few and they really don’t accidentally discharge without human intervention. Just my viewpoint. A different pistol that had a manual safety probability wouldn’t have discharged , but how many people other than the 1911 crowd engage their manual safeties while in the holster? Glad he lived to see another day.
I do. I carry a Beretta 92fs, a P95, and Beretta PX4 sc. They all have hammers that must rise before falling , which is a warning system that precedes loud noises. A manual safety is pretty failproof and contrary to popular opinion does no slow down reaction time, and requires very little training to automate.
Liberty''s Blog

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txhighlander »

Liberty wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:33 pm
txhighlander wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:18 pm After watching the video several times, I believe he holstered his shirt when he holstered his Glock. The holster he was using if the make is correct has a full trigger guard. The weapon didn’t discharge till he leaned forward. I can’t see how this is a weapon or holster malfunction. His shirt or something else was in the trigger guard area and when he leaned forward it pulled the trigger. I don’t know anything about the holster other than what I looked up online . I don’t like Glocks but I have shot more than a few and they really don’t accidentally discharge without human intervention. Just my viewpoint. A different pistol that had a manual safety probability wouldn’t have discharged , but how many people other than the 1911 crowd engage their manual safeties while in the holster? Glad he lived to see another day.
I do. I carry a Beretta 92fs, a P95, and Beretta PX4 sc. They all have hammers that must rise before falling , which is a warning system that precedes loud noises. A manual safety is pretty failproof and contrary to popular opinion does no slow down reaction time, and requires very little training to automate.
I use mine as well on the weapons that have a manual safety, but the key word in this is training. There are a lot of people who carry that don’t have anymore training than the class they took to get their Ltc.
Truth against the world

howdy

Post by howdy »

The article said he placed it in a holster but I did not see any holster. He also placed a magazine in the general area after placing the pistol.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “Never Again!!”