ND While Carrying Appendix

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 3

Re: ND While Carrying Appendix

Post by txhighlander »

howdy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 pm The article said he placed it in a holster but I did not see any holster. He also placed a magazine in the general area after placing the pistol.
You will see holster at the end of video. He jerks the weapon out and throws it on the floor then he jerks the holster out and throws it on the floor.
Truth against the world

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

howdy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 pm The article said he placed it in a holster but I did not see any holster. He also placed a magazine in the general area after placing the pistol.
The GCode has a magazine caddy that is connected to the holster.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

txhighlander wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:40 pm
Liberty wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:33 pm
txhighlander wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:18 pm After watching the video several times, I believe he holstered his shirt when he holstered his Glock. The holster he was using if the make is correct has a full trigger guard. The weapon didn’t discharge till he leaned forward. I can’t see how this is a weapon or holster malfunction. His shirt or something else was in the trigger guard area and when he leaned forward it pulled the trigger. I don’t know anything about the holster other than what I looked up online . I don’t like Glocks but I have shot more than a few and they really don’t accidentally discharge without human intervention. Just my viewpoint. A different pistol that had a manual safety probability wouldn’t have discharged , but how many people other than the 1911 crowd engage their manual safeties while in the holster? Glad he lived to see another day.
I do. I carry a Beretta 92fs, a P95, and Beretta PX4 sc. They all have hammers that must rise before falling , which is a warning system that precedes loud noises. A manual safety is pretty failproof and contrary to popular opinion does no slow down reaction time, and requires very little training to automate.
I use mine as well on the weapons that have a manual safety, but the key word in this is training. There are a lot of people who carry that don’t have anymore training than the class they took to get their Ltc.
These people are probably buying and carrying Glocks and their ilk, or stuffing LCPs into their britches. If they don't practice and train on their draw, they probably will get shot before they clear leather anyway.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Deltaboy »

Glad he didn't die! We need a post action report on what really happened!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

cmgee67 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Liberty wrote:The biggest safety issue of the Glock and similar type guns is that people don't recognize the inherent dangers of such guns. Excuses like "My safety is between my ears" are commonly heard. There is a reason why traditional SA/DA and 1911s were developed with manually operated safeties. Manual safeties can save lives and injuries. IWB carry with a Glock needs special attention. Accidents happen with Glocks that simply wouldn't happen with safer engineered gun owners need to recognize this.
Stop the glock bashing. The same could be said with M&P Springfield, canik, Ruger and on and on.

Yes, and it is often said of ALL non safety guns. It isn't brand specific.

Yes you have to be more careful with a gun without a manual safety. The Glock actually has two safety’s. It has the Trigger safety and plunger safety.

I'm betting the guy in the video thought the same thing. If he had a gun with a real safety, it wouldn't have happened. Yes, I said a real safety... a swingie thingie on the trigger that is designed to move with mere grams of pressure, in the same direction of the trigger is not a safety... as evidenced by the video.

This means the only way the gun can go off is if trigger is fully pulled to the rear and the plunger safety raises up to release the striker. A Glock can not physically fire without the trigger being fully depressed to the rear and the plunger safety moving out of the way.

Exactly what was argued by Liberty- The design allows a shirt, soft holster, pant top, or anything to catch/pull/snag the trigger and fire the gun with suck little pressure, the wearer doesn't feel it.

Carry in a holster that fully covers the trigger guard and that securely holds the firearm. That’s why I choose kydex. This guy used kydex too so the only
Way it went off was something got in the trigger guard and pulled the trigger.

Yep, that's exactly what everyone said.

I honestly don't get it... why are Glock owners hypersensitive compared to owners of similar designed M&P, XD, etc.?

:tiphat:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

flechero wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 am
I honestly don't get it... why are Glock owners hypersensitive compared to owners of similar designed M&P, XD, etc.? [/color]
:tiphat:
My concern isn't so much that the Glock is such a dangerous gun to carry, but that there is so little awareness and a lack of willingness to acknowledge the risks of such guns. Its not just the Glock either. The two most popular guns being sold are LCPs and Glocks. I don't question that these are suitable carry pieces, but Are they really suitable for new LTCs and first gun purchases. Are folks aware that there are more "forgiving designs"?

Attempts at discussing these issues are met with accused Glock bashing. We should be willing to discuss the merits and the flaws of carry pieces with out bashing. It used to be that 1911 owners were a little sensitive about any critisism of their guns. These days the sensitivity seems to shift toward the Glocksters.

I own Rugers and Berettas.. I have looked at criticism of these weapons as helpful sometimes. All guns are a product of engineering tradeoffs. Desput claims for some 1911 owners there is no perfect handgun there is no perfect ammo.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

dino9832

Post by dino9832 »

I've been carrying a G43 Glock regularly for around 3 months. There have been two incidents where it didn't "feel" right as I holstered it.
Sure enough, there was a bit of shirt that had made it's way inside the holster. Currently, I always holster the pistol a bit on the cautious side. Any resistance felt, I ease it out and double check for blockages.

Most of the time I push the holster with pistol into my waistband. About the 4 o'clock position. That being said, I do practice speed drills almost daily. So there's many times I've holstered it while in my waistband.

FYI, there's a few slide back cover plate devices on the market that give you a tactile feel if the trigger is pushing back the striker while holstering.
https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/produ ... rol-device

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Rob72 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Bottom line, if you don't know what you're doing, any weapon is dangerous. It's more so when you THINK you know what you're doing...
:iagree:
I carry a G43 quiet often. I also almost always carry one of my J Frames. The key is to train and practice. I shooot my J Frames often and I have been carrying one since 1982 almost daily. So many people think because they have a gun that is all that is necessary. That is just the starting point.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I am still curious to know how it happened? :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Andy C mentioned, among other things, that there is "no location" given.

A possible clue to this being a Texas site is that this business has a "Come and Take It" flag on the wall.
Although anyone anywhere could have this flag, it is very common in Texas.

But it seems that someone on our board would be able to correctly ID this incident.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I have always holstered my gun then put the whole rig on at one time. I have always tried to minimize the chance of a ND. That seems to cut the chances down quite a bit. The only time I put a holster on then holster the gun is OWB.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Appendix is my carry of choice.

Return to “Never Again!!”