Parker County Deputy Shot in Foot

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Parker County Deputy Shot in Foot

Post by carlson1 »

The Parker County Sheriff’s Office now believes the deputy who was shot while looking for an illegal hunter was injured by his own service weapon. Deputy Jarrett Turner was shot in the foot Monday evening. The sheriff's office calls it an "accidental discharge" from backup pistol on the deputy. A landowner had called to report that someone set up a deer blind and was trespassing on his property near Cattlebaron and White Settlement roads.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox4news ... deer-blind

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Parker County Deputy Shot in Foot

Post by Paladin »

That changes the story quite a bit
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Paladin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:14 pm That changes the story quite a bit
Yes sir when it first came out it was two shots with a rifle that had a suppressor.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

Isn't that type of call, usually handled by game wardens? Are Parker County Deputies, trained, in Texas game laws? They are evidently, not trained, in how to prevent negligent discharges, from guns in ankle holsters, while creeping through, the woods, looking for armed tresspassers, with no back up. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

In tonight’s news, it was revealed that he had accidentally shot himself somwhow, with the BUG he was carrying in an ankle holster. They actually found the bullet in the ground at the spot where he claimed to have been hit.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Severe embarrassment is hard I tells ya to get past.

Though, everything I've done in my life has NEVER caused me any embarrassment as, I'm perfect in every way...like the rest of you.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I seen a clip from the news that the Sheriff had the gun sent to the DPS lab to determine what the malfunction was and at this time he has banned his deputies from carry that pistol.

I sure would like to know what the pistol was. Maybe they will release that at a later date.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Oh no, did the deputy do a 'Tex Grebner' with a banned, possibly dangerous gun?

No wonder he's hideously embarrassed...

jrene
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jrene »

Does anybody have any theories on how a holstered firearm can fire by itself?

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

Deputy Turner also said the gunman took off as he crawled back to his cruiser to call for help.
IANAL but it seems like a false statement about a shooting would taint any testimony the deputy ever gave in court, as well as any affidavits he signed to support search warrants.

There’s no word on if Deputy Turner, who has been with the department for two years, will face disciplinary action.
He should be fired. If not, it calls into question the honesty and integrity of the Sheriff and his entire department.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Glock is not the sole firearm with no button type safety. Just press the trigger and it goes boom if you have a round chambered. There are many similar models and also can be fired with a round in the chamber with the magazine out.

2 examples of similar type actions to a Glock: Smith & Wesson SD9VE and Ruger LC9S and others - no button or lever - both 9mm.

So, could the 'banned by the department firearm' be a Glock? Sure, but as I pointed out, there are many other models on the market with precisely the same actions...

flechero

Post by flechero »

Gator Guy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 am
Deputy Turner also said the gunman took off as he crawled back to his cruiser to call for help.
IANAL but it seems like a false statement about a shooting would taint any testimony the deputy ever gave in court, as well as any affidavits he signed to support search warrants.
There’s no word on if Deputy Turner, who has been with the department for two years, will face disciplinary action.
He should be fired. If not, it calls into question the honesty and integrity of the Sheriff and his entire department.
I'll wait for the facts to come in before questioning their integrity. You may eventually be right, but it's still too soon to declare.

jrene wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:26 am Does anybody have any theories on how a holstered firearm can fire by itself?
I can think of 2 ways, if it was an ankle holster, since 99% of ankle holsters I have seen are fabric ...

1. he either kicked/steeped into or banged against something like a downed tree with small branches sticking out that got into the holster and tripped the trigger or

2. a part breaks... although extremely rare, it has happened. Possibly by being smacked into something while running or falling.

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

flechero wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 am
Gator Guy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 am
I'll wait for the facts to come in before questioning their integrity. You may eventually be right, but it's still too soon to declare.
I too will wait to see if they fire the deputy or tolerate a peace officer who lied about an OIS.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

flechero

Post by flechero »

Gator Guy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:30 am I too will wait to see if they fire the deputy or tolerate a peace officer who lied about an OIS.
Apologies, GG... I never saw/read the "original" story and therefore missed the jist of your post... I had assumed your comments were about the gun malf. vs. ND.
:tiphat:

Return to “Never Again!!”