In Memory of Pearl Harbor

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
https://www.nps.gov/valr/learn/historyc ... ce-day.htm

bobby
Posts in topic: 1

Re: In Memory of Pearl Harbor

Post by bobby »

I remember in 1980 as a SN(SS) 19 years old onboard the USS Sea Dragon SSN-584. Returning from a 6 month westpac. I was on deck in my dress whites with orange Kaypoc lifejacket manning line #2 on this US Warship rendering honors to port. Gliding past the USS Arizona and Utah. I can feel it to this day 40 years later to the day.
:txflag:

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

My great Uncle Robert Herriott is interred aboard the Arizona!
I have read alot about Pearl Harbor, the circumstances prior to the attack, I believe FDR knew something was coming but wanted the U.S. in the War and purposely allowed U.S. Bases to be relaxed, he should have had outlying bases at Alert Status but simply didn't!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

Visited and stayed a night at Pearl Harbor.
Went to the Memorial the next day. Will never forget.

While back a friend went to Peal Harbor. On the boat ride to the Arizona memorial, a Japanese man was seated next to him.

He noticed he had tears in his eyes. My friend asked, if he was ok. The man said that, because of this tragedy, many of his friends and relatives had died.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I was stationed in Japan and took my family to the Peace Park in Hiroshima. My 9-yo daughter was appalled at the devastation and asked how we could do something like that. On the way back to the states we R&Red in Hawaii and I took them to the Arizona Memorial. All my daughter could say, was "Now I understand".
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

ELB

Post by ELB »

But for Pearl Harbor I think I would have been a farmer's son in Illinois. My father enlisted right after Pearl Harbor, and was on his way to training by the end of that month. He wanted to be a paratrooper. They told him he wasn't big enough, but because he knew how to repair tractors they sent him to Kelly Field to learn to be an airplane mechanic, and he was associated with military aviation in some form for the rest of his life, no doubt contributing to my 22 year stint in the USAF.
USAF 1982-2005

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

My Dad's first cousin was there. He dove off his ship as it sank and swam to safety underneath the burning oil that was floating on the water on the terrible day.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

I've got a photo I took about 20 years ago now of the oil sheen on the water at the Arizona Memorial, from the droplets of bunker fuel still being released from her fuel tanks.

They are referred to as the "Tears of the Arizona".

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The great men who would remind me of this day, now only live in my memories. Lest we never forget to be prepared.
Attachments
59B010C0-22FE-4A46-AA57-9612D222B789.jpeg

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

For some reason, when I think of Pearl Harbor, I think of those men trapped in one of those overturned battleships. Rescuers could hear them banging inside, but couldn't get to them. They couldn't just cut into the hull; I can't recall the reason.

The banging gradually faded.....
-Ruark

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Ruark wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 pm For some reason, when I think of Pearl Harbor, I think of those men trapped in one of those overturned battleships. Rescuers could hear them banging inside, but couldn't get to them. They couldn't just cut into the hull; I can't recall the reason.

I think battleship hulls are like 12” thick.

The Arizona I believe sunk right side up.

As an aside. The Japanese did not press their advantage. They did not attack again and destroy the fuel depots and the dry docks. Every ship with the exception of the Arizona was fixed and saw action in the war.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Ruark wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 pm For some reason, when I think of Pearl Harbor, I think of those men trapped in one of those overturned battleships. Rescuers could hear them banging inside, but couldn't get to them. They couldn't just cut into the hull; I can't recall the reason.

They were below water level. When they tried to cut through to reach them the air pocket escaped and they drowned.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My understanding was the Japanese did not press their attack because the fact the U.S. Carriers were not present at Pearl Harbor, the Japanese High Command became very Nervous for their own fleet Carriers and decided discretion was the better part of valor and they withdrew rather than chance our carriers finding them while their Aircraft where at Pearl Harbor!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Never Again!!”