always learning

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

always learning

Post by longtooth »

You long time .45 ACP reloaders. What bullet do you use? What overall length do you seat it too? I am not a real newbe, but sure don't have the experience some of you do. I am not really satisfied w/ what I am shooting. The load not the gun. Kimber compac. Thanks for the help.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've loaded several different bullets over the years. The two most common are 200 gr. swc and 230 gr. FMJ "Ball."

200 gr. SWC (West Coast copper plated) OAL = 1.215 & 1.260 (Tried different lengths for Commander)

230 gr. FMJ - Montana Gold = 1.246

Chas.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

200 g lswc @ 1.250" - feeds and fires fine in my Springfield.

I really like the lead bullets from Lone Star Bullet Company, in Halletsville. Very good QC and he gives a 10% discount when you buy 10,000 bullets - not necessarily the same kind / caliber. No financial interest in the company, just a happy customer.

I'd be interested in reading what powders y'all like. I've been using 5.0 g Unique, or 4.5 g Green Dot, for a very soft-shooting, accurate load that functions fine with stock springs.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

powder

Post by longtooth »

BobCat, I have used the 5 gr of Unique also. Found it to be a pretty dirty shooting powder. No other complaint. Comfortable & accurate as you stated. I am presently shooting a 5.1 gr of Red Dot w/ a 230 gr cast bullet. That one is cleaner & just as accurate.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

res1b3uq

reloads

Post by res1b3uq »

I do not reload, but am buying reloads because of their accuracy. The reloader is using 185 gr. Remington HP bullets. The velocity is a little over 1000 FPS Comparable to UMC 185 gr. Flatnose. I use them in a Colt Series 80 and in a Star PD. The Colt is super accurate with these rounds.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I too use either 200gr swc and 230gr plated RN. I'd have to check my notes but, I believe that both are loaded to 1.250.

As for powder, I have used Unique and Bullseye with satisfactory results, but keep comming back to Win231.

Return to “Reloading Forum”