Rock Chucker Master Supreme Reloading Kit

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
John
Posts in topic: 3

Rock Chucker Master Supreme Reloading Kit

Post by John »

Saw this kit at Gander Mountain and am considering it for Christmas (for me :) ). See this link: http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=2&s3=6

I think the price was round $250.00 or so.

The Kit includes:

* New Rock Chucker Supreme press with larger window opening to accommodate large magnum cartridges. New Toggle Block with ambidextrous handle. Improved spent primer containment to eliminate spent primers on floor.
* Ohaus 5-0-5 scale
* Hand Priming Tool for fast safe & convenient priming.
* Uniflow Powder Measure
* Speer #13 reloading manual
* Case loading block
* Case Lube Kit
* Primer Tray
* Powder Funnel
* Deburring tool

Can anyone tell me what else is needed? I would be reloading .45 ACP for starters, so what else do i need besides this kit?

Still not 100% sure that i want to get into reloading, but I trying to figure out what all I will have to buy to get started.
JohnC

Tom
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rock Chucker Master Supreme Reloading Kit

Post by Tom »

John wrote:Saw this kit at Gander Mountain and am considering it for Christmas (for me :) ). See this link: http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=2&s3=6

I think the price was round $250.00 or so.

The Kit includes:

* New Rock Chucker Supreme press with larger window opening to accommodate large magnum cartridges. New Toggle Block with ambidextrous handle. Improved spent primer containment to eliminate spent primers on floor.
* Ohaus 5-0-5 scale
* Hand Priming Tool for fast safe & convenient priming.
* Uniflow Powder Measure
* Speer #13 reloading manual
* Case loading block
* Case Lube Kit
* Primer Tray
* Powder Funnel
* Deburring tool

Can anyone tell me what else is needed? I would be reloading .45 ACP for starters, so what else do i need besides this kit?

Still not 100% sure that i want to get into reloading, but I trying to figure out what all I will have to buy to get started.
John,

The kit is a good start. I got mine a while ago and I prefer the older
Rockchucker for the integrated primer feeder. But you have that
covered with the hand priming tool.

The Case Loading Block that came with my kit is typical of any
compromise - works sort of OK, but I ended up getting many others to
get a better fit and reduce case wobble.

In addition you will need:

A micrometer to measure case lengths - empty and loaded;
A set of .45 ACP dies (I use Lee dies for everything - they are cheap
and they work fine);
I don't see a trimmer included in your list. It is iffy for most pistol
calibers but a necessity for rifle. My Rockchucker kit included one;

Bullets, primers, and powder;
These last items are the reason I still go to gun shows. The shipping,
and especially Hazmat fees, make mail order an expensive option.

Clean your brass with soapy water and ensure that they are dry prior
to using them. Eventually you will want a tumbler to do that nasty job
for you.

If you have a C&R fax a copy to Midway and you will get dealer
prices on all of their stuff. The savings can really add up fast.
Brownells will also give you their dealer price with a C&R and if you
are doing any gun smithing or repair it can save lots of bucks.

Take it slow, ask lots of questions here, and check the powder level
in each case, at least for a while. Powder can bridge in a funnel so watch
it closely. It will save your butt.
And most importantly, make sure the loaded primers are flat side
out.

Best Regards,

Tom

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

Good choice. I am still using mine & load more than we can shoot. Me, my Mother, wife, son some, & son-in-law too. 'Course I don't watch no TV. :wink: For pistol only you can load for a long time w/ nothing more than the kit & dies for what you are loading. You will need a trimmer when you start loading rifle. You will also need a precision measuring tool. Micromter was suggested. I use calipers. They are easier to use, cheaper, & measure from 1 to 6 inches. Mics usually have only a one inch measuring span. No one that I know is indifferent about hand loading. You will either like it or you will put it off & stay out of ammo & "just go buy it".
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
John

thanks for the advice.

Post by John »

Thank you for the replies. I hadn’t considered that I might need a micrometer or calipers. Do you measure every round after completion? If the casing are not correct, are they tossed on the front end?

I’m guessing that Dies are around $30.00 for a set and Calipers are about the same. So total price is around $310.00 to get started? Then I’ll need Brass and Bullets and Powder, oh my! I guess I have to decide if I really want to do this. It would be more of a hobby thing than a money savings, considering my current shooting habits.
JohnC

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

You can start loading if you want to w/ just the kit. You don't need to measure pistol brass. Very few that I know do. The other thing you will eventually need is a tumbler or vibrator cleaner. You can get by this at first by getting a mesh net that ladies wash their hose in. put your brass in it & wash it in the washing machine. Throw it in the dryer & tumble dry. Getting started I washed some in the sink by hand. Like I said above, I don't have any time in my life to waste on TV just sitting. There should be enough loaders in the Houston area to help you get started with brass. I would give you some if you are willing to cover the freight or face to face if you ar ever in my area. You may be able to buy it as cheap as paying freight. To get an acceptable over all length (OAL) when you seat your bullet without calipers to measure with do it this way. Put your shell holder in press. Run to the top. Screw bullet seating die in until it touches the shell holder then back out 1/4 turn. Put a factory load in shell holder & run to the top. Screw the seater down until it is finger snug against the factory bullet. Remove the factory load & tighten another 1/8 of a turn. Lock it down w/ the lock nut & seat a bullet on your reloads. Set the reload between two factories & place a straight edge from one factory to the other w/ reload in the middle. Should just touch or just clear. Adjust if needed. I did this for a while before I could get money together for the tumbler, trimmer, & calipers. Your reloads should cost way less than .10 ea if you can pick up brass at the range where you shoot. Also, if you know one, ask a CHL instructor if you can clean up his range for brass. I did this & got a great big "YOU BET, ANY TIME" Many of us have never bought a single piece of pistol brass. I am sure there are some who shoot popular caliber rifles that have never bought any of that too. Net $ savings & payout time will depend on how much you shoot. When it is raining & I can't go to the range I still consider myself having fun w/ my guns & ammo. You will also find yourself shooting more. You will never, never, ever, catch yourself in the place of saying, "OH MAN! I would go shoot a while this evening if I had some ammo." Decide & I hope Merry Christmas.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

You can get by this at first by getting a mesh net that ladies wash their hose in. put your brass in it & wash it in the washing machine. Throw it in the dryer & tumble dry.
Hope you have a very understanding wife. Mine doesn't see the untility and versitility of the washing machine. Or you can use it as leverage to buy a vibratory cleaner.

Everyone that's posted has good information. I especially liked longtooth's explanation of how to obtain OAL buy using a factory cartrige. Never thought of doing it that way.

Just to add my 2 cents, if your going to spend $250 on the kit, which I think is a good press BTW, Spend an extra $25 on some calipers. It is worth the cost.

Topic author
John

Post by John »

dws1117 wrote:Just to add my 2 cents, if your going to spend $250 on the kit, which I think is a good press BTW, Spend an extra $25 on some calipers. It is worth the cost.
Home Depot for the calipers? And yes... one time through the washing machine and i'll be shopping for vibratory cleaner. Someone told me that you can purchase rice hulls (i think) at pet stores for the cleaning media. Any thoughts on that?

Longtooth... thanks for the brass offer. I'll keep that in mind for after the holidays. We might even can work out a trade for something.
JohnC

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

You could probably get caliper at Home depot, but you could also pick up a set right there at Gander Mountain. I have a cheap set I picked up at Carter's Country. they say Winchester on them, but they're just generic.

Return to “Reloading Forum”