getting started

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rodnocker1
Posts in topic: 2

getting started

Post by rodnocker1 »

I am interested in getting started with reloading due to the ever rising prices of ammo. I have NO equipment and NO experience. I had considered it a while back, but adding up the cost of just the components to reload, it came up at about the same cost as just buying factory ammo and that cost didn't include the cost of equipment. Then I read about getting range brass. What I am trying to find out is how available is range brass really? I would think that with the number of people who reload, it might be hard (or impossible) to come by.

Also, if you shoot at a range, are you allowed to pick up your own brass? This goes back to the previous question...If everyone is picking up their own brass, what is left to buy from the range? If they won't let you pick up your brass, they are making you buy your own brass back.

To compound the problem, all of the pistol ammo I have now (15,000 rnds .45 ACP and 3,000 rnds. 9MM) is Blazer aluminum, so I am going to have to either buy the brass as a component or buy brass cased ammo and then get that brass to use.

I feel sort of like that guy in the commercial where he is showing off all of the things he has and says he is in debt up to his ears. I'm not in debt, but I feel like I am in information up to my ears and just as the guy in the commercial says-"WON'T SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE?".

Seriously, any help and information will be greatly appreciated.
Rodney

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

My first step was to get the ABCs of Reloading. Great information.

Then probably a Lee kit for lower volume / handgun ammo.

And shoot up all your Aluminum stuff before you start reloading for that caliber. You probably won't save anything by reloading for 9mm, but you sure can with the larger calibers (.45ACP for sure).

Topic author
rodnocker1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rodnocker1 »

Thanks Kalrog, I'll get a copy.
Rodney

bj

reloading

Post by bj »

you might try a copy of the Lyman reloading either the regular or the pistol depending on your needs the have been in the buisness for over a century B.J.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Whether or not you can pick up brass at the range depends upon the rules at that particular range, for one thing.

I would not use range pick-up 9mm - it is a high pressure round and you'd like to know the history of the brass. Winchester white-box is $4.86 per 50 rounds at Acadamy - cheaper than Blazer and reloadable.

On theother hand, .45ACP is a lower pressure round and the cases last for many firings. I would not (and do not!) hesitate to pick up .45 brass at the range. Or you can buy 1,000 "once-fired" .45ACP cases at someplace like gibrass.com or patsreloading.com or even Midway. Over time you will loose some, a few will split and you throw them away, but you will accumulate more (one way or another).

I second the suggestion of doing some reading and starting out with a Lee press - maybe even from ebay. Lee equipment does not have a high-quality "feel" but it works just fine - and is re-sellable when you decide to get fancier.

Reloading is fun, educational, and much more productive than sitting in front of the TV. If you are like most people, you will not save any money, but you will shoot more.

Have fun!

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

DustinB

Post by DustinB »

I went to ebay for my brass. Got 2000 cleaned and ready to load ocne fired .40 S&W brass for about $30 with shipping. As for my .45 Colt brass, I just find a guy at the range shooting some winchester cowboy rounds and ask him if he is keeping his brass. As far as ranges go you would have to check with the people at each range. Almost all will not let you pick up other peoples' brass which is understandable, but I would never go to a range that wouldn't let you pick up your own brass. Whether I was a reloader or not.

As for the reloading components you need, I would suggest the following:
Brass Tumbler
Single stage or Turret Press - Lee Classic Turret Press Recommended
Sets of Dies for your chosen calibre - I suggest Lee dies, cheap and good quality
Hand Priming Tool - Lee works
Powder Measure - I suggest Lyman
Powder Scale - Digital is a timesaver but a regular beam scale will work
A good Dial or Digital Caliper - A GOOD one, don't go for a cheapo - around $40-50 is decent
Reloading tray to hold cases while dumping powder and loading
Powder Funnel
Good Reloading Manual - I Suggest Lyman

and of course

Primers
Bullets
Brass
Powder

All of this isn't necessarily required but I would suggesting starting with all of this. It will make things easier, especially the tumbler for cleaning. There's more stuff you will need eventually but this will get you going.

Later I would suggest:
Case Trimmer
Deburring/Chamfer tool
Kinetic Bullet Puller

With all the equipment I listed I can reload 100 .40 S&W rounds in 50 minutes flat, and that's taking my time to check powder levels for safety.

Return to “Reloading Forum”