Thinking about reloading

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Suckhow
Posts in topic: 1

Thinking about reloading

Post by Suckhow »

Hi, maybe one of you guys can help me. I have never reloaded, and lately have been thinking about taking it up as a new hobby and method to save $$$.

I mostly fire 45 ACP and 357 Sig, both of which are quite pricey. My questions are:

1. How much is the initial investment?
2. What do I need to get?
3. How much $ will I save per round?
4. How difficult is it and how much inferent hazard is there?

Mike Cornell

Post by Mike Cornell »

1. How much is the initial investment?

The initial investment greatly depends on your choice of reloading presses and dies. There are three main types of reloading presses – single stage, progressive and turret. There are two types of dies – carbide and non-carbide. Carbide pistol sizing dies normally require no lubrication during sizing/resizing of the cartridge case.

A basic, RCBS Rockchucker, single stage with the essentials for reloading one handgun caliber/case can be found for around $300.00 to $325.00. A progressive press, Dillon 550b, with the essentials would be closer to $450.00. A turret press would be a bit higher than a single stage press set-up.

2. What do I need to get?

Essentials
Reloading press
Dies w/shellholder
Powder scale
Powder measuring device
Brass tumbler
Case trimmer (depends on round)
Deburring tool
Reloading trays
Dial calipers
Reloading manuals for bullets/powders used

Good to have
Universal decapping die
Primer pocket brushes
Powder trickler
Micrometer (case webs/crimp measurement)
Case gauges (headspace/case length)

3. How much $ will I save per round?

This would depend on what you’re now shooting and what you intend to shoot. I’ve experienced a significant savings as well as having been able to tailor a load specific to my needs. If you shoot more than a thousand rounds a year or you want to find a more accurate or effective load, you should seriously consider handloading.

4. How difficult is it and how much inherent hazard is there?

Not at all difficult if you read first and understand what you are working with. I have been reloading for over 25 years with no accidents. I have been accused of being a bit anal though.

There are several excellent videos that explain reloading in detail. You might look at them first.

Regards,

Mike Cornell
Last edited by Mike Cornell on Thu May 05, 2005 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be turned from one's course by men's opinions, by blame, and by misrepresentation shows a man unfit to hold an office.
Quintus Maximus 250 B.C.

BobCat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BobCat »

Not much to add to Mike's excellent post, but you might want to consider a Lee press - single stage or turret - for your first press. Lee equipment feels cheap, *is* cheap, and many reloaders badmouth and scorn it - but it works.

There is no feel of "quality" to Lee equipment, but if you want to see if reloading is for you, or if you just want to load some good ammo cheaply, it is worth looking at.

I have a Rockchucker from 1971 that still works fine; an old Dillon 450 (predecessor to the 550); and a Lee single stage and Lee turret. I use the single stage Lee exclusively for seating .223 for the match - it cost about $30 on sale from Natchez, so I can afford to dedicate it to one simple task and not have to change/readjust dies for that task. I think the turret cost me about $50 used, with a bunch of other stuff. These things are cheap, fairly durable, and usable, so if you can forgo "pride of ownership" for a while, they are worth considering.

If you choose to load lead bullets in .45 ACP, you might want to check Lone Star Bullet Co. in Halletsville. Randy gives a 10% discount if you buy 10,000 bullets. Sounds like a lot, but split two or three ways it isn't. No financial stake, just a satisfied customer.

BTW everyone will tell you how "dirty" Unique burns. They are right, but it is still a very versatile powder - for .45, .357 (light to medium loads; not slow enough for full-power loads), .38, and 9 mm. There are better powders for each of these calibers, but Unique is quite usable for all of them.

Anyway, you will enjoy reloading; have fun!

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

There has been some very good advice here.

My suggestion would be to start out with an inexpensive single stage or turrett press. Then if reloading turns out to be your thing you can then look into making a larger investment in better equipment.

I started with a Lee single stage press. After about 6 months I upgraded to the Lee turett press. Six months after that I bit the bullet and bought the Dillon 550b and haven't looked back since. As BobCat mentioned the Lee stuff looks and feels cheap. Don't let theat deter you. It is good equipment. It isn't Dillon, Redding, or RCBS, but it does the job well.

For the moment I only load .45ACP, but I have been thinking about expanding into other calibers.

BTW If you intrested in purchasing a used Lee single stage or turret press let me know. I let them go pretty cheap.

DMG

Lee loaders

Post by DMG »

dws1117: I do not reload but have recently been exploring the idea. I have been looking mostly at information regarding the Dillon 550. What is a Lee turett press; is it a progressive loader? Why did you change from the Lee loader to the Dillon?

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

Dillon! I could not imagine using anything different. I have two 550's and I plan on getting a 650 within the next year.

Dillon's quality can not be surpassed. Customer service is second to none. Plus you get put on the Blue Press list and get that evert month.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

DMG asked dws1117 what a turret press was, and how it differed from a progressive. I'm not dws1117 but I'll take a crack at answering.

In a single stage press there is a ram, and a hole up top into which you screw the dies, one at a time. Put in the resize/deprime die, adjust it, and do all your cases. Then the belling die (if appropropriate), and bell all your cases. And so on through primer seating, powder charging, bullet seating, and crimping (if appropriate). I got primer seating out of order - it is often done immediately after deprime/resize.

In a turret press, the ram is the same, but there is also a rotating tool head up top, that contains all the dies. You put in a case and go through all the steps, rotating the tool head to get to the next die. A finished round comes out and you put in the next case.

A progressive has a rotating case-holder on the ram, and fixed places for the dies up top. You start with one case, but you turn the case holder and add another case each step. So there are several rounds being worked on with each pull-push of the lever - each round one step ahead of the next. You basically get a finished round out with each cycle of the operating lever.

You can use a progressive like a single stage while you are learning - just don't put in the next case, process one round all the way around the circle.

Dillon makes the most popular progressive, as far as I know. There are other brands that people like, but "the blue press" is many people's favorite.

A single stage is very useful but does not turn out lots of ammo in a hurry. A turret is a step faster, and usually not as expensive as a progressive. Dillon sells at least three or four levels of progressive, each more automated and more expensive than the last.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Purrrs,
BobCat
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

dws1117

DMG

Post by dws1117 »

I want to apologize for not replying to your post sooner. I wasn't trying to ignore you. I didn't see the post. Again, my apologies.

Bobcat gave a very good reply. My feeling is that it is best to start on a single stage press then move on once you understand and feel comfortable with the process.

The Lee presses offer a good product at a very reasonable price. They are not built to the quality of others, but if you take care of a lee press it will take care of you and turn out quality ammunition for a long time. As mentioned it is slower and will not churn out 1000's of rounds in an evening.

What I love about the Dillon press is the speed, consistance, and ease of use. The ability to change calibers relatively quickly is one of the selling points. The Dillons are probably one of the strongest presses available. If something does go wrong (it is mechanical it will eventually) Dillon's custoner service and lifetime warranty are second to none. The attractive ladies weilding fine weaponry on the covers of the monthly catalogs aren't bad either. I rarely get mine in the mail and the tabs have not been broken. :D

Sorry I didn't answer sooner.

Wayne

Lonegun1894
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lonegun1894 »

I have been reloading for a few years, and i am still using my Lee single stage. It may not be as fast as a progressive, but it has kept me busy and out of trouble. You have to consider the source here, but being single, with no kids, i havent had much going on to keep me from turning out a few rounds here and there. My usual procedure was to wait til i had about 1,000 or so same-caliber cases that needed loading, then start. I'd do the resizing/depriming one night, as it usually goes fairly fast (3-4hrs). Next evening or two i'd prime them. Then bell, depending if needed on caliber being loaded. Then load powder and insert bullet, and sometimes crimp the same night, other times spread it out over several nights. This was usually weekends, but many times it was after work. What else was i gonna do with my time? Never been much for the bars and clubs, and i can only fish so much (dont wanna eat fish every night of the week).
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
CHL/NRA/Hunter Safety instructor
TCLEOSE

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

+1 for lonegun. I have a lot more going on in life than he does. Pastor a country church & still have to hold a pt time job. Grandchildren in & out. I do not sit in front of a TV. I confess that. Don't waste time in other unproductive ways. I will shoot .45 ACP - 2,000 + a yr. Mother & wife shoot. another 1,000 .380. Me & Son-in-law .38 sp. another 1,000. I load all hunting rounds & shoot M1A in matches. That is 6-7 hundred. you can load a lot of ammo on a single stage press. Mine is RCBS Rockchucker. You do have me in one area lonegun. I don't fish either. Never learned being raised in the flatlands of West Tex. We used to say, "Lubbock is very centrally located for fishing & deer hunting. It was 300 miles in any direction." ;-) Keep loading & Keep shooting. Never know when God may direct your path across a sweet one.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

Longtooth,
That old schedule of mine has changed since then. At the time, i was in the military and have since gotten out and gone back to school. BAck then, i had a schedule, and it was to be where ever they told me to be at whatever time, and they didnt stay consistent. Making plans back then was iffy at best, so i'd go home and load a few rounds and then crash out, then do it again the next day. Nowadays, i dont get nearly as much time to shoot, much less load. Then again, i still dont hit the bars and clubs, so that helps with the time issue. I can always load a few hundred rounds per weekend and keep myself supplied.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I did see the school deal after I posted & said to self, self you don't have any more going than he does 'cause you remember school. Staying out of the bars like you said helps with more than time issues. It helps with character issues too. I am proud of you. If you are ever in the Lufkin area let me know & we will see that you get a home cooked meal fit for a discharged military man. Thank you for your service. :patriot:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

Longtooth,
I apprciate the offer, and would love to meet up with you sometime. But as far as the military thing goes, someone had to do it before me, and someone will do it after. The way i see it, those of us who came back uninjured, and especially alive, have no claim to anything special as there have been many who didnt even get to come home, and those are the guys we all owe a debt to. I just took my turn in a long cycle that needs to be kept going, thats all.
Last edited by Lonegun1894 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

dpatterson

Post by dpatterson »

Heres a lot of stuff for a pretty good deal....

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/ubbthr ... w/1#UNREAD

Daniel

Return to “Reloading Forum”