Progress (Pics)

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 2

Progress (Pics)

Post by KinnyLee »

I was going to start reloading using the Dillon press, but found out that there was a missing part from the primer system itself so I called Dillon to mail me the part and it's on its way to me as we speak. Having all the ingredients, I waste no time and started to handload my 9mms this weekend.

This is definitely something you want to pay 100 percent attention to because I've already caught myself loading a round without powder in it. How do I know this? Because I didn't visually check to see if there was a powder to the brass before I seat the bullet. I also weight the squibbish round and a fully loaded round, and there was a weight difference between the 2 round in the amount of charge I was suppose to put in. Here are some pics. Enjoy. :cool:

The Lee rig. Please excuse the yellow powder funnel. lol.

The amount of powder needed. I checked it with the reloading manual and it said so on the bottle. :lol:

Fixing to decap this brass.

125 gr. of Precision Bullet goodness. :cool:

Ready to seat the bullet.

This is what I've done so far. I know, I'm slow. lol.

The big blue beast. Hopefully I'll start using it this week when the part gets here. :grin:

That's all for now.

Houston1944
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Houston1944 »

Did you pull the bullet and confirm there was no powder in the case? The reason I ask is I have found it to be almost impossible to identify squib pistol loads by weigh. In most cases the variables in used brass and bullet weigh will offset the small powder weigh.

Topic author
KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KinnyLee »

Houston1944 wrote:Did you pull the bullet and confirm there was no powder in the case? The reason I ask is I have found it to be almost impossible to identify squib pistol loads by weigh. In most cases the variables in used brass and bullet weigh will offset the small powder weigh.
I did weight 10 different rounds and they seem to weight anywhere from 191.5 to 193.2 gr. And this one round weights in at 186.7gr. I just didn't want to take the chance so I've set it aside. I will probably eventually pull the bullet and see if there is powder in it. I did find that the mass of nickel is lighter than brass. Weighting in several nickel casing suggested this.

Return to “Reloading Forum”