Is this Dillon a Deal?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
40FIVER
Posts in topic: 6

Is this Dillon a Deal?

Post by 40FIVER »

My wife's girlfriend's husband has a RL550B he wants to sell, including Dillon CV500 tumbler, media seperator, analog scale, and low primer early warning system, press cover.
He bought all of this new from Dillon in Dec 1994.He loaded about 800 rounds over the next 6 months or so after buying it and then quit reloading. The stuff's been in plastic containers in his garage for the last 11.5 years. The press looks new with only a few slight rusty spots on some of the steel bolts.
He's asking $415.00 for all of it. I know what the items are new and this sounds like a good price. Should I be concerned about the age of the press? Has the design changed since it was new?
I'm a wannabe when it comes to reloading so I have no idea. I believe everything he says about the machine and how much he used it.
Is there anything I need to be concerned about when deciding on this purchase?

:?: :?: :?:

Thanks for the help
40FIVER

DustinB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DustinB »

I would jump on it, as long as all the parts were there. I don't think the tumbler applies to the lifetime warranty but the press sure does. I've seen people buy some really old dillon presses, sent them back, and ended up receiving a totally refurbished/upgraded to latest model press for free. They really stand behind their product whether you are the original owner or not. What you hear about the warranty is all true.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 4

Post by longtooth »

Either buy it or send me his address. :thumbsup:
Good deal.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

longtooth wrote:Either buy it or send me his address. :thumbsup:
Good deal.
ME FIRST
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Just like the 3rd grade. No cuts in line. ;-)
He's gonna buy it anyway.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

OK, I guess I'll go ahead and buy it. :grin: Sorry, guys.
40FIVER

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Shucks.

Hope you enjoy it. I will probably be ordering one next Monday
TSRA-Life member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

RP, You still butting in line ahead of me. I was supposed to say shucks first.
OH Shucks..

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

OOPS. Sorry LT.
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

Well, it turns out this is a Square Deal B press, NOT a 550. :oops:

I've always said I was a raw rookie at this reloading business. :grin: The owner still thinks it's a 500. I haven't given him the news yet.

I have the original 1994 receipt from Dillon Precision in my hand and it definitely says he bought a 550. I guess he never caught the original mistake on the receipt.

I've been wanting a 550, simply based on what Brian Enos says and from reading all I can on this and other forums.

So, this loader may be back on the market soon. I just have to decide if I will be happier in the long run if I buy a 550.

If I decide to pass on this "lightly used", only 800 rounds loaded, 1994 vintage Square Deal B press, I will be happy to hook up any interested person with the owner.

Charlie
40FIVER

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I wont need his addres even w/ the tumbler & other stuff. :cry:

DustinB

Post by DustinB »

I would pass on the square deal b, unless of course, you don't mind only loading pistol rounds and having to use only dillon dies.

If you want a great press with the ability to load anything but .50 cal, get a 550 or 650. You won't be sorry with the buy. Buy one new or look around different forums from time to time and you may catch one for sale. Jason found mine on glocktalk.

Topic author
40FIVER

Dillon 550 On It's Way

Post by 40FIVER »

Well, I finally made up my mind and bought a new 550 today from Brain Enos. :grin: I also bought Dillon's digital scale. Maybe by next weekend I'll be the proud daddy of my first reloaded 45 round. Boy, that first round is going to be a mighty expensive one.

I've got 2000 pieces of 45 brass that I bought from Dave Hughes late last year. Now I need some powder , primers and bullets. I guess I'm not finished shopping yet.

Is Winchester 231 a good place to start for powder? Are all primers equal, or should I steer clear of some brands? I've alway shot jacketed ammo, so I guess I'll start with jacketed bullets.

BTW, I've just about got the seller of the Square B Deal talked back into shooting and reloading. My goal is to get him excited about shooting again. He's going to let me borrow his tumbler and separator when I need them. I figure he can load the 40cal rounds for me and I'll load the 45 cal rounds for him.

Now the bad part - I've got to go tell my wife the checking account is a lot smaller than she thinks! :sad:

Charlie
40FIVER

TX Rancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TX Rancher »

Ah! The dangerous part. Remember when you approach her it's like working with an IED. Approach it slowly, take your time, and follow well established proceedures...you don't want her going off :shock:

I see no problem with a Square Deal for someone starting out. I used one for a couple decades before I upgraded to a 650. Yea, you can only load one caliber, but it's still very fast for pistol, and the price is pretty good for the press.

Also, many folks I know have 2 calibers they shoot, and often it's 9 mil and 45 ACP. There's not a lot of value to loading 9 mil, so a single caliber press wouldn't be an issue for those folks.

Yes, the 550 and 650 are a heck of a lot better, but a limited budget when starting out would make the Square Deal a good start.

Topic author
40FIVER

Re: Dillon 550 On It's Way

Post by 40FIVER »

40FIVER wrote:Now the bad part - I've got to go tell my wife the checking account is a lot smaller than she thinks! :sad:

Charlie
I have to ask for forgiveness, it's too late to ask for persmission. :grin:

Charlie
40FIVER

Return to “Reloading Forum”