apartment reloading

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

casselthief
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by casselthief »

This is kinda OT, but is there a heat threshold for ammo?
reason I ask is, I carry in mah truck, on the way to work, leave my smoke wagon in my truck whilst I work with the big ol' magnet all day, and then go home.
do I need to worry about those rounds firin' off amidst the lot of other parked cars, or is the ignition point of gun powder a little hotter than that?

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jeremae »

Casselthief :
No your gun will not go off by itself unless the gasoline in the tank spontaniously(sp) bursts into flame first. But I recycle my carry ammo by shooting it up at least once a month.

VP:

In addition to the rust issues from humidity when storing the press/dies/etc outside there is also the issue of moving powder and primers (more the powder) from climate controlled low humidity to high humidity and resulting condensation. If the shed has something like a roof vent fan and is kept relatively cool/dry and you are religious about oilling/covering all equipment you should be ok.

I would suggest a better solution would be either a portable bench like I posted or a mount you can clamp to kitchen table/counter top in an area with non carpeted flooring (or use an office chain floor mat like I do, I added a ridge around edge and keeps all dropped stuff where I can get it)for easier cleanup. A locked metal cabinet in the house to store components away from little hands might be usefull but if you already have safe just put powder/primers in safe to store.

I clean up all spilled powder and my wife uses it for ferterlizer on her flower beds.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Return to “Reloading Forum”