Guess I'll be getting into reloading now.

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
steve817
Posts in topic: 9

Guess I'll be getting into reloading now.

Post by steve817 »

It is something I have thought about for a while but in the past have determined that I didn't have the money to make the initial investment.
All that changed a few weeks ago when a friend of mine passed away due to complications of cancer at just 43 years old. His family has given me his entire reloading set up, there is so much there I don't even know what all I have or may still need. I don't even know what most of that stuff is, it is all very overwhelming.

There are at least a couple of presses, I think one of them is progressive and the other single stage. Some die sets for .357 .40 .308 and one other I wanna say 9mm. There is also what looks like a tool for inserting primers, jugs of powder, boxes of bullets, a couple of reloading manuals and so on.

Can anyone give me a clue where to start.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

jason237m
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Guess I'll be getting into reloading now.

Post by jason237m »

I would start with this book

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, if you are able to post a few pictures of what you have it would help in giving ideas on how to get started.

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

I will when I get it all moved over here.

Thanks
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

My advice would be to get with someone like AndyC who is experienced and can explain what you have, if that is not an option then post pictures and we'll help you out. I would also suggest finding out what it would take to get an experienced reloader to help you get started.

Then I would suggest that you take an inventory of what equipment, dies and components you have on hand. I would presonally destroy the powder and give a lot of thought to the primers unless you know for 100% sure that your friend stored them correctly and did not put stuff into different containers (I know a guy who is an experienced reloader with several 1lb bottles with Win231 labels that are full of H-110 because he doesn't want to deal with an 8lb jug).

Once you have an inventory of what you have then consider what will work for you and won't. If you have .270WSSM dies but no .270WSSM, however you want a set of dies for your .30-30 then I would consider checking with other area reloaders about trading. Also I suggest cleaning up and servicing your new equipment, many manufacturers do have lifetime warranties that you will appreciate.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

steve817 wrote:It is something I have thought about for a while but in the past have determined that I didn't have the money to make the initial investment.
All that changed a few weeks ago when a friend of mine passed away due to complications of cancer at just 43 years old. His family has given me his entire reloading set up, there is so much there I don't even know what all I have or may still need. I don't even know what most of that stuff is, it is all very overwhelming.

There are at least a couple of presses, I think one of them is progressive and the other single stage. Some die sets for .357 .40 .308 and one other I wanna say 9mm. There is also what looks like a tool for inserting primers, jugs of powder, boxes of bullets, a couple of reloading manuals and so on.

Can anyone give me a clue where to start.
Sorry for your loss.

I don't know anything about reloading, though, sorry.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

jason237m wrote:I would start with this book

Also, if you are able to post a few pictures of what you have it would help in giving ideas on how to get started.
:iagree: Get this book and invite AndyC over. Offer him some BBQ and a beer and let him help you out. I envy your sudden windfall, but not how you came into it. Best of luck! :tiphat:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

OldCannon wrote:
jason237m wrote:I would start with this book

:iagree: Get this book and invite AndyC over. Offer him some BBQ and a beer and let him help you out. I envy your sudden windfall, but not how you came into it. Best of luck! :tiphat:
Beer after you get the info you need...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

AndyC wrote:I'm not too far away from Arlington in Euless; I could drop by sometime if you like and let you know what you have, what it's used for, etc.

Alternatively, you could post (decent) pics and folks can explain what you have.

I'll post some pics when I can. But I will also jump at any opportunity to pick your brain. OldCannnon mentioned BBQ and beer. Do you prefer brisket or pork butt? Personally I think I make a better pork butt.
-- Ronald Reagan

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

OldCannon wrote: I envy your sudden windfall, but not how you came into it. Best of luck! :tiphat:

Yeah, I would rather have my friend back.
-- Ronald Reagan

Don2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Don2 »

Sorry to hear about your friend. Sometimes things just happen..!!

You will get good info here, you DO need to get all the manuals and books on the subject and NOT get in any hurry. The inventory idea is great, I really like it.
I bought a big amount of reloading "Stuff" from a family that had that happen to also.
It was to help them more than for me.

I wish I had inventoried it too...I had the bed of a pickup full of stuff...everything..!!!!
I just piled it in my shop and go through it randomly instead of knowing what is there on paper.
I have to dig every time I'm looking for something.
It will take you a while to come up with a list, but will save you a BUNCH of time later..!!!
I KNOW...!!!

If I lived closer, I'd drop by too...Mainly for the BBQ "rlol"
Just kidding.

Get pictures with close ups and SN#'s and brands if possible and send them up and I'm sure everyone here can help.
You would be AMAZED how much money all that stuff currently costs...!!!
Especially jacketed bullets and other components.
I have some Sierra box's of 30 cal component bullets that have a price tag of $6, now they are about $36 a box..!!!

Go slow and soak it all in....

Don2

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

Don2 wrote:Sorry to hear about your friend. Sometimes things just happen..!!

Go slow and soak it all in....

Don2

Oh trust me I intend to. Doesn't really seem like one of those hobbies that one would want do by trial and error.
-- Ronald Reagan

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

AndyC wrote: BBQ isn't necessary; don't worry about it. Just give me a holler via PM once you're ready and we'll arrange to hook up.
OK beer only then, I can live with that :cheers2:
-- Ronald Reagan

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

The progressive one is a Dillon's RL 550B the other one is a Lee.
-- Ronald Reagan

Return to “Reloading Forum”