Just started reloading!!

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
age_ranger
Posts in topic: 2

Just started reloading!!

Post by age_ranger »

Well, I've decided to reload now since I'm shooting IDPA and will be shooting more often. Hopefully, this saves me a few bucks in the process. Right now, I'm only reloading 9mm but will add .45 and .223 when I get more comfortable and funds allow. So far, I've got a LEE classic 4 turret press and an RCBS 750 digital scale. A Lyman tumbler cleans up the brass while I work the turrets in my bullet slinger. I just started tonight and figured I'm loading about a round a minute. Not near the speed of a progressive setup, but it's only a quarter of the price and I'm only reloading for ME.

I've chosen Hodgdon Titegroup and Winchester bullets for now. Cabella's had the bullets for $6.99/100. I'm working on setting up my load and got some data from Hodgdon. I figured I'd start slightly under the reccomended load (gr) until I get it where I want it. I made several attempts using unprimed cases before getting the press set up to the correct measurements. I think I finally have it figured out which is the crimp and seating depth on the die. (it's s two in one die) Took a bit to figure out. :lol:
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

jhutto
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jhutto »

Make sure you do not go below the minimum... That can be bad as well.

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

Welcome to the "club", Age Ranger!

After you get your desired grains of Titegroup settled, the one thing that would speed up your operation is a powder measure. Lee sells one for a very modest sum (as powder measures go)
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=540522

It's not as pretty as some of the more expensive ones, but it works! Whenever I load for something that I don't already have my Dillons set-up for, I'll use my old Lee measure.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up that exact powder measure at Cabella's on the way home today. Took about 5 mnutes to set up and made reloading much faster. I did check the output after about 20 rounds and it had wandered slightly. (about 0.1gr) Tightening the lockring a little more cured that. I wound up loading about 100 rounds in 30 min. and had to adjust for a different load in the process and check OAL/crimp. I'd say it was well worth the money ($21 I think)
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

match308

Post by match308 »

The Lee Pro100 is an excellent way to crank out alot of .223, as well as pistol calibers.
T.Bannister

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

jhutto wrote:Make sure you do not go below the minimum... That can be bad as well.
I learned that the hard way. :lol:
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

& I sure am glad no one was hurt.
Thank you Lord.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Diode

Post by Diode »

My favorite part of reloading is crawling around the gun range picking up my brass. I was thinking of making a portable vacuum so I don't have to crawl..... Welcome to the reloading club, I use a Lee Pregressive and I load more than I can shoot in .45acp. I need to setup a .357,

jim

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Diode wrote:My favorite part of reloading is crawling around the gun range picking up my brass.
jim
Technically, it's considered recycling. :grin:
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

phddan

Post by phddan »

Welcome to the club AGE,

You will find that buying in bulk will save a little more than buying in small quantities.

Sounds like your on the right track.

Have you got to shoot the reloads yet?
Let us know how they work out.

Dan

Return to “Reloading Forum”