Got the 550B, what else do I need?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Stupid
Posts in topic: 2

Got the 550B, what else do I need?

Post by Stupid »

Just got the machine and die, what else do I need? Can somebody tell me how 550B measures powder? can't really figure out.

I think I do need a:

1. tumbler
2. scale
3. caliper

Where do you guys buy them from?
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike1951 »

MidwayUSA is a great source, as is Natchez Shooting Supplies and MidSouth Shooting. Wideners.com often has good deals on brass and bullets.

The tumbler is a useful accessory, not a requirement. Having said that, I have three and often have then running at the same time.

But there are other methods of cleaning brass either chemically or in the dishwasher. (I do NOT pay divorce attorney costs)

Right now Midway has a super deal on calipers, having the Frankford Arsenal stainless calipers on sale for $9.99 (reg 32.99) while they last. Item# 604-242

They also have a Frankford Arsenal digital scale on sale for $30.00 (reg $62.99) Item# 713-372.

I would suggest getting on their mailing list. they send out a monthly sales brochure that usually arrives about a week before the month ends. From the 25th on, both the current month and next month's specials are in effect.

$40.00 minimum order is not usually a problem.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

Did you get the vcr tape with the machine? As I recall it was not great but it did provide a good idea of how the equipment operates. Always remember that you can call Dillon. The person that answers the phone will be able and willing to help you with any question. Their customer service, like most companies in the reloading business, is excellent.

I am not sure how detail to be in answering your question. The Dillon powder measurer also functions as the belling station. The adjustable slide bar determines the amount of powder to be dropped by using the adjustment screw on the back of the measurer. First you must adjust the amount of bell and then lock the die in place with the lock ring. After this you can tighten the two screws that hold the measurer in place. You should have a metal rod to connect the slidebar controls to a fixed bracket on the frame of the 550. Connect the rod, add powder and cycle to weigh the powder, adjusting the rear screw as needed. You will need to cycle it 3 or 4 times after each adjustment to make sure you are weighing the new setting correctly.

Hope this helps answer your question. It you are still confused about it just call Dillon. They are used to answering these types of questions.

You will need a set of allen wrenches of various sizes for this machine.

DustinB

Post by DustinB »

You definitely need a quality dial/digital caliper and a good scale. The tumbler is not totally necessary technically, but it is to me. Will save you a lot of time.

I would also recommend a kinetic bullet puller for those small mistakes and checking crimp on the bullet.

That will get you loading pistol rounds easy enough.

If you want to load rifle you will need:

Case Trimmer
Deburring/Chamfer Tool
Primer Pocket Swage
Case Neck Brush

There's also various small things that come in handy.

The most important thing you need is a good reloading manual. I would suggest getting 2 or 3 because not all of them have every bullet/powder combo. I would suggest Lyman and Sierra. There's other decent ones out there as well.

jwp

Post by jwp »

Look at the Dillon pages on Brian Enos' web site:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

Especially look through his "EZ buy" packages for the 550B. These will show you all the accessories you might need/want and are particularly useful if you're a beginner.
-- John Pierce, jwpretd@satx.rr.com
A patriot must always stand ready to defend his country from its government. -- Edward Abbey

Topic author
Stupid
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Stupid »

Once I get my thing running, I am going to write a list of all the crap one would need.

it's so frustrating that one has everything setup then finds out there's one piece of crap missing.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DrKyle1

Post by DrKyle1 »

There is one often overlooked tool by reloaders... a chronograph!!!!! The reloading books are a guide not a rule as to how your loads will run in your gun. Just by switching from Berry's plated bullets to Montana Gold jacket bullets significantly increased my velocity. I only knew this by running them through a chrono.

It would help to know what you are going to reload for - how many different calibers, etc? Personally I load for: 9mm, 40 s&w, 45, 38super, 38 special. I have a quick change kit for each so it is much easier switching from one to another.
Dr. Kyle

Return to “Reloading Forum”