Lyman's master casting kit

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jhutto
Posts in topic: 2

Lyman's master casting kit

Post by jhutto »

For it for my birthday so I'm looking to get into casting. Any helpful thoughts ??

Grillmark55

Re: Lyman's master casting kit

Post by Grillmark55 »

My thought is "Go for it!"
I did the same thing with some of my birthday money. Got everything except for the molds (backordered :mad5 but these days in Barakistan, what shooting supply ISN'T in short supply?). Bought some lead on ebay - and will start scavenging for more till my mold arrives.
Till then - the only advice I'd have is do as much research as possible! Lots of resources out there. Try this forum: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Don2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Don2 »

Well...the fun begins now.
Dang dies and top punches are not cheap these days. But what is?
I'm glad when I bought my rcbs lubesizer years ago, I bought all the dies and top punches I needed. Plus bought some for future calibers I knew I was going to get.
They will never get any cheaper than they are now. Well maybe with the crazy buying lately they may go down a tad???

At some point, you may want to get a bottom pour furnace, the Lee Pro4-20 is a great and low priced unit. I have had a couple of them for years with no problems yet... ;-)
They use to be around $60 pre-crazy times!!!!
Just looked and they are $64 at Midway, Hmmmm...but OutOfStock..!!!!!!!!!!

You can double or tripple your casting speed with them. Plus its a little easier.
But I used a ladle type for a long time and it works great too.

Barakistan "rlol"
Thanks for the laugh Grillmark55

Don2

lfinsr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lfinsr »

jhutto wrote:For it for my birthday so I'm looking to get into casting. Any helpful thoughts ??
I'm not into casting yet but this gets rave reviews on the Ruger forum. I downloaded it and glanced thru it and it looks to be very informative.

http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm

Larry
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

jhutto wrote:For it for my birthday so I'm looking to get into casting. Any helpful thoughts ??
Don't get the Lyman's master casting kit.

Several reasons.

First, Lyman was a great brand for generations but their quality has greatly eroded in the last decade. I have had to send more stuff back to Lyman than any other brand and I hear similar cries of dismay on on the castboolits forum.

Second, you can do better than that kit. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a good buy; I own it and recommend it. As far as the Sizer/Lubricator goes, get the RCBS version.

Third, You can get a 4-20 lb Lee bottom pour melter instead of a 10 lb Lyman pot that you have to use a dipper.

Fourth, I see no use for either the ingot mold or the dipper. For ingots, I just use a $0.50 garage sale muffin tin. For a dipper . . . well I bought a really nice one years ago and literally have never used it.

I encourage casting, just not that kit.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Don't get the Lyman's master casting kit.

Several reasons.

First, Lyman was a great brand for generations but their quality has greatly eroded in the last decade. I have had to send more stuff back to Lyman than any other brand and I hear similar cries of dismay on on the castboolits forum.

Second, you can do better than that kit. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a good buy; I own it and recommend it. As far as the Sizer/Lubricator goes, get the RCBS version.

Third, You can get a 4-20 lb Lee bottom pour melter instead of a 10 lb Lyman pot that you have to use a dipper.

Fourth, I see no use for either the ingot mold or the dipper. For ingots, I just use a $0.50 garage sale muffin tin. For a dipper . . . well I bought a really nice one years ago and literally have never used it.

I encourage casting, just not that kit.
All these comments are spot-on!
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Don2

Post by Don2 »

AndyC wrote:I'll second that :cheers2:

Well, apart from the fact that encouraging folks to get into casting means more competitors for lead... :lol:
Dang AndyC, you're correct about the lead.

I retract my previous statements.

Just kidd'n
Good wheel weights are almost imposable to find NOW anyways..!!
The time for free or cheap WW's are gone.

Don2

Grillmark55

Post by Grillmark55 »

Don2 wrote:
AndyC wrote:I'll second that :cheers2:

Well, apart from the fact that encouraging folks to get into casting means more competitors for lead... :lol:
Dang AndyC, you're correct about the lead.

I retract my previous statements.

Just kidd'n
Good wheel weights are almost imposable to find NOW anyways..!!
The time for free or cheap WW's are gone.

Don2
I've decided to start casting but I haven't tried looking for wheel weights yet (Lee is back ordered on the mold I ordered. Can you imagine?!). I did find lead on eBay but I think that some of those guys think that they are selling gold (well, maybe it is these days). Anyway, there are a lot who sell ingots described as WW lead so there must be some out there somewhere.
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

boomstick
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomstick »

I second the motion for a Lee 4-20. You cannot go wrong at that price.
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

Don2

Post by Don2 »

boomstick wrote:I second the motion for a Lee 4-20. You cannot go wrong at that price.
Ya know, I have a neighbor who owns a RCBS bottom pour unit and I have a couple of the Lee 4-20's.
They both work the same way....Put cold lead in, get hot lead out..!!!
No leaks, and no problems I did not create..! :mrgreen:

PRICES:
Lee @ $64
RCBS @ $375

Hmmm...I DO NOT buy on price only, it has to work and work pretty well too.
Wonder if Lee needs any Lee 4-20 furnace salesman?

Don2

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Don2 wrote:
PRICES:
Lee @ $64
RCBS @ $375
The only real difference is temperature stability, and, frankly, you should have a thermometer anyway (and you'd need it for both furnaces, so it's a wash in cost comparison). There's a few other small differences, but nothing that justifies the price difference.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

OldCannon wrote:
Don2 wrote:
PRICES:
Lee @ $64
RCBS @ $375
The only real difference is temperature stability,
And one can easily build a PID temperature controller for under $100 that will control the temperature far better than any stock lead furnance.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Reloading Forum”