90 gr XTP for 9MM

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
2firfun50
Posts in topic: 2

90 gr XTP for 9MM

Post by 2firfun50 »

I loaded up some 100 gr berry's for my P938 just to check functioning with a reduced recoil round. The load was over a good stout charge of AA#5 and functioned perfectly. My wife as always been a little shy of small 9mm carry pistols until she shot this 100 gr load in the p938. This could get expensive :biggrinjester:

So I got to checking the manuals for load data and found a lot of information regarding the 90 gr. XTP for 9 mm with some impressive velocity numbers. Looks like it might be a viable defensive load for the recoil sensitive. I loaded 20 to test with a max listed charge of AA#5. They functioned perfectly even in the Kel-tec P11. They were a real joy to shoot in the p938 and really quick back on target for followup shots.

My only concern is will the bullet hold together with the increased velocity over the .380?

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 90 gr XTP for 9MM

Post by MoJo »

XTP is the least expanding of the hollow point bullets on the market. They have a reputation of under expanding and over penetrating. Your 90 grain bullets may hold up quite well. Cor*Bon loads a 90 grain +P load that clocks 1500 FPS and 450 foot pounds of muzzle energy. You might want to consider that as carry ammo. http://www.corbon.com/corboncart/sd0990-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

If you are looking for a soft shooting load for practice, go to a 147 grain bullet over 3.2 grains of Titegroup. I use this for IDPA and it easily makes power factor but is also very soft shooting. I use the Bayou bullet for outdoor matches and the Berry plated bullet for indoor matches to further reduce the smoke. I do use regular cast for outdoor practice. I do notice that the recoil is a little heavier, am guessing that is caused by the lube burring?

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

I believe the link below has the information you're looking for.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/cat ... andgun.pdf

Larry
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Topic author
2firfun50
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2firfun50 »

lfinsr wrote:I believe the link below has the information you're looking for.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/cat ... andgun.pdf

Larry
Thanks so much for the link. That is exactly the type of information I need. With the published data, I'm looking for around 1200 fps actual from a 3" barrel. That should be doable with a faster burning powder staying well within normal 9mm pressures. I also should be able to duplicate the felt recoil with a practice bullet such as Berrys 100 gr HBRN (when they become available).

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

LOL!!! I once loaded some of those over Blue Dot in 357 Sig!! Real screamers out of my Glock 23 conversion barrel. :evil2:

Return to “Reloading Forum”