Bought a shotmaker

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Don2
Posts in topic: 24

Re: Bought a shotmaker

Post by Don2 »

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to get....!!!!

I have an idea that I have been pushing around, if you had that shotmaker pan sitting on an electric hot plate letting it warm up, THEN sit your bottom pour furnace over it and fix the valve to stay on, you should be able to get that to work.

Thought: You may have to start with a lead ingot or two to get an amount of lead at the drippers ( Head pressure is important )
I have heard of people heating up the lip under the drippers up with a torch just to get it making shot, when it all comes up to temp, it should make good shot with your bottom pour on full blast????

I saw a few youtube videos like that, but the guy did not explain much about the setup and how he got it working.
I just have my old small shotmaker to draw any ideas from.

Also, a lot of guys say that using regular chalk board chalk on the ramp helps the lead grab the ramp and "Roll" to form round shot better.

KEEP ME/US INFORMED of your progress. I am VERY interested.....!!! :thumbs2: :cheers2:

Let me know if you need any info I may have.
I have shotmaker info saved up from years of hoarding info from the inet.
I love all that tinkering stuff.

Don2

Don2

Post by Don2 »

Badger away Bro.....!!!
It's not bugging me when I like the project and want to make one myself... :mrgreen:
You can be the Guinea pig ;-)

If you do not have an electric hot plate or want a new one, I found one I really like at Walmart that has a cast iron top plate that stays hot for a while after turning it off. Really holds heat longer because of a mass of cast iron on top. All for a $10 bill..!!!
It's an AROMA brand and it's black.
I have been using it to melt wax and other projects. I have an older one with the bare heating coil on top...It's alright but the new one is way better..!!
Just a heads up.

Don2

Don2

Post by Don2 »

Say Andy, was that shot maker pan made for one of the commercial shotmakers?
Or is it a generic one for making your own?

Doesn't mater I'm just curious...

Would you share the web site it's from?
I'd like to check into it, it sounds just what I wanted.

Don2

Don2

Post by Don2 »

Ok thanks.

It's a long time until Friday..!!!!
I hate the waiting game.

" ? When will UPS or FEDEX come out with a Satellite Package Transporter System" just like Star Trek....???
Beam it to Bubba Jr. in Texas Scotty, eyeeee Captain.... :txflag:

Don2

Don2

Post by Don2 »

I'm so mad.....!!! :mad5
I can't find my 410 roll crimper, I was going to try to see if it would taper the shell that had been star crimped to fit in pumps and autos better..!!!
That sucker is around here somewhere, but where. I don't use it very much so it's deep in a drawer or cabinet somewhere.

Still looking.
I told you I was going to try it, and I will as soon as I find it.
Wish I had a metal lathe, I could make one faster.... :thumbs2:

Don2

Don2

Post by Don2 »

Check this out Andy, this is the one we use to make all our shot.
It's kind of slow, but for $25 at a garage sale, it's fast enough for us..!!!!
It was made in the mid 60's and is still working. That tells you something about the way stuff use to be built..!!
The instructions for our/my little shotmaker are on this page too, I downloaded them to my computer a while back even though we have the original, a digital copy is good too. You may find some tidbits of knowledge in the instructions you could use??
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 2&t=313291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We use Diesel or Water in the soup cans ( Shot Catch Cans ) Both work of and make very round shot. I have to look at it close to tell our shot from commercial. Ours has defects every now and then but NO big deal. Teardrop shot fly straight from what I've shot on paper, no key-holing I can see.

The Shotmaker is not really mine, well....My neighbor and I both saw it at a garage sale we visited, but he was closer to it and grabbed it before I could. But he paid for it and I use it...Thats the arrangement. Or until I make one or buy one.....

Thats why I'm interested, but I'm kinda broke right now....Dang taxes...!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :mad5 :cryin

Don2

Don2

Post by Don2 »

AndyC wrote:Hey, I used to see that same one advertised in South Africa when I was a kid! I always wondered how that turned out - very cool, thanks for the link Don :)
It actually works very good, I keep one ingot worth of melted lead in the pot or however much is needed to keep the lead level about a 1/4" above the drippers, I keep one or two ingots on the back of the pan getting warm or slightly melting so I can then push it down into the melted lead to quickly recover the lead height. Head pressure/lead level at the drippers is important also, it keeps the same pressure and amount of lead dripping out. Some of the magic is just learning how and what it takes to get your setup working and how to maintain it.

Just like the story of Goldilocks and the three bears, the lead must not be too hot or too cool at the drippers, it must be just right, thats one of the things you will need to experiment with.
A laser temp gun would be very nice to have. When you get it working and making good shot, take temps at several places and record it so you can get it back to the working temp it likes. I'm sure they all are different.....

More later

Don2

Return to “Reloading Forum”