RCBS Press replacement part Question

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jiannichan
Posts in topic: 8

RCBS Press replacement part Question

Post by jiannichan »

A friend of mine has an RCBS press with a missing part. His father in law gave it to him since he has switched over to progressive. My friend doesn't need it and he doesn't want to spend any time trying to hunt down the part to get it working, so he is going to give it to me for free. I do not have possession of it yet, but he sent me the picture of what it looks like online and what part is missing. he said it is the part that presses in the primer?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
I am going to be purchasing a house in a few months, so I will have room to get into reloading.

I have attached the picture that shows what is missing circled in red. My question is, can it be replaced? How much is this part and can I buy it from RCBS or some place online that sells it? Is that part it worth replacing?
RCBS.jpg
-jchan

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Re: RCBS Press replacement part Question

Post by Crossfire »

RCBS has one of the best customer service reputations in the industry. You should contact them about getting the part.

Here is their contact page: http://www.rcbs.com/general/ask.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The primer arm is a commonly damaged/lost part so replacements are available both locally and online. Try Midway, Grafs, or Brownells. You might also find one on Amazon. Online they sell for about 15 bucks + shipping. If you find one in your LGS for $20 + tax you are in the right price range. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

Sounds good. Any specific one to get or are they all the same? I am not sure what the model for the press is so I don't want to order the one for the wrong model. Thanks everyone!
-jchan

DocV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DocV »

Use the 'Ask RCBS' link on the RCBS site or call them.

From http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/parts_book.pdf it looks like a Reloader Special or RockChucker Jr.
You need some way to prime your cases but you do not need to use your press to do so. I prefer using a separate hand primer.

Don2

Post by Don2 »

It's usually lost because it's only held in by a easily pressed out pin.
OR, like I did, I took it off because I never used it. I've used the RCBS bench primer tool.

I still have my old one like that, I think it's a RCBS Jr. press.
Could also be a RS press. ( Reloader Special ) both use same primer arm.

It's a good press, not quite as strong as the Rockchucker, but will do anything you want to do.... :thumbs2:

Also, there is a top piece that screws on that holds the primer tube( which you need too ) with the two set screws at top of press. You will need all 3 parts I guess? They are not expensive.

Don2

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

On my Single stage press I simply choose to hand prime. Find out the model of your friends and if it's the same as mine I will gladly mail the never used parts off mine if I can find them. There has been some revisions in the primer arm system between RCBS Rock Chuckers if I am not mistaken, but I am willing to bet that RCBS will send you the parts at no cost.

After I clicked submit I realized I knew where the primer arm was, went and checked so now it's on my desk. My press is a Rock Chucker IV, if it's OE arm will fit yours then you can have it. I do not have the auto prime system as I never purchased that seeing how I prefer to hand prime when using my single stage rig. Another worthwhile upgrade is to install the Hornady L-N-L bushing kit.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

G.A. Heath wrote:On my Single stage press I simply choose to hand prime. Find out the model of your friends and if it's the same as mine I will gladly mail the never used parts off mine if I can find them. There has been some revisions in the primer arm system between RCBS Rock Chuckers if I am not mistaken, but I am willing to bet that RCBS will send you the parts at no cost.

After I clicked submit I realized I knew where the primer arm was, went and checked so now it's on my desk. My press is a Rock Chucker IV, if it's OE arm will fit yours then you can have it. I do not have the auto prime system as I never purchased that seeing how I prefer to hand prime when using my single stage rig. Another worthwhile upgrade is to install the Hornady L-N-L bushing kit.
Thanks! Just finished reading everybody's responses and I am thinking I will hand prime. I have no problems buying the parts for replacement since I am not even paying for the press in the first place. I feel that I'd rather do it right and hand prime. What about decapping/depriming? Is that a separate tool as well?

This would be okey?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-jchan

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

It is a RCBS Jr Press. I still have the one that I bought in 1974 and use it occasionally. While not as robust as the Rockchucker, it will probably do all you want. I used my press to make to turn 30-06 brass into 270 brass then back to 30-06 for my metallurgy project on the effects of cold working 70-30 cartridge brass while going through mechanical engineering. Times sure were different in the 70's at a small school in north Louisiana.

Call RCBS, they will probably send you one for free. I have an old powder throw from that same time period. I left some Titegroup in the tube for several weeks (or possibly longer :-) ) and some of the powder stuck to the tube/chemically attached the tube. I call RCBS and explained what happened. They sent me a new tube at no cost even though this was my mistake. Great customer service.

DocV

Post by DocV »

jiannichan wrote: ....
This would be okey?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes. That will do the job.

Topic author
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

I forgot to mention that the picture I posted isn't the actual press I am getting. He just showed me the press just so that I know what part was missing from the one he is giving me...
-jchan

Return to “Reloading Forum”