Anyone loading the 300 BLK?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texasmusic
Posts in topic: 4

Anyone loading the 300 BLK?

Post by texasmusic »

So after about a year hiatus from reloading, I have moved in to a new place and set up a garage bench for loading and other projects. I have loaded about 1k each of 45 ACP and 9mm in the past, so I am by no means experienced, but I feel that I have learned a lot. I have moved my focus to my 2 calibers that are difficult or expensive, since 9mm and 45 are pretty plentiful and cheap, and I have a good stock of them. So that brings me to 300 and 3006 garand loads.

What am I in for? I picked up 1 lb each of 4064 and 4227. Bullets will be surplus 150's I got from wideners, and I have to check the primer stash to see what types I have.

I already processed 100 or so 3006 brass which was a mixture of commerical brass, HXP, and Korean stuff.

I converted my remaining 223/556 brass to 300 by chopping, sizing and then using the Lyman universal trimmer ( time consuming!). Brass is a variety of stamps as well.

What size batches would you load for a first timer? To check function, no chronograph here though.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

killerfly128
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone loading the 300 BLK?

Post by killerfly128 »

50-100 round runs and get a chrono to check consistency.

ddstuder
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ddstuder »

I have been loading them for about a year.

Keep in mind, not all brands of brass will work. Some of the converted 223 cases are too thick after reforming. S&B is one that comes to mind that you will have issues with in the 300. I prefer to use Lake City, and PMC brass for my rifle.

Get yourself a Sheridan cutaway case gauge. This will show you what brass works and what will not. http://www.sheridanengineering.com/index-2.htm#

There is a lot of good information on the 300blktalk forum. They have a reloading section and lists of brass that works and doesn't work.http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 41&t=88599

I have had success loading 150g for 300BO, but have not used the powders you listed.

Hornady #9 book has a pretty good section for the round, but you may have to adjust your COL to suit your rifle.
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

The Hornady #9 also has a section for loading 30-06 for the M1 Garand.

I have also used loads from the NRA M1 Garand data. http://masterpostemple.bravepages.com/M1load.htm
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Topic author
texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

Thanks guys,

I now understand the reasoning behind the brass types, thanks. (will have to pick up a cutaway gauge.)

I'll sort my cases by head stamp and see what I have. Most of it is military brass, I usually shoot surplus. I do have some Wolf brass but I don't think that has found its way into the pile yet.

I like the NRA load data page posted, I wish the same loads were posted in my Hornady manual (it actually has a garand section but nothing for 4064 in 150 gr). I've seen some good discussion over at CMP. Do you have any opinion on the sheets that come with the Lee dies? as far as loading?

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

I have loaded IMR4064 for my M1.

I use 49g and seat to the cannelure.

If you swap out the gas plug on your garand you can safely shoot most any ammo without damaging the op-rod.

I put this one in mine and have shot Federal factory ammo from walmart out of it. I wouldn't shoot that ammo all the time, but if you don't reload, it gives you more options.
http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/deta ... g?sef=hcfp

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

It took me some experimenting to find loads that feed well in my 300 blackout AR. My favorite subsonic load uses the Hornady 220 grain round nose bullets (part number 3090). I also had problems with magazines, some would not feed properly. Wilson Combat has some D&H 300 blackout specific mags on their website that work well.

Topic author
texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

I loaded 3 clips worth of 47.5 gr 4064 at 3.3" oal HXP and Korean cases. I realized I don't have a crimp die for 30-06, so they are loaded to the cannelure but uncrimped at this point. I'll see if I have setback issues and I'll test them for function when I go out and create some more brass for the Garand. What I'm looking for is a load that I can practice with, without paying the prices of commerical ammo, CMP has the HXP but shipping and availability in the near future will be problematic.

Subs in the BLK are a future reloading task for me. Figured I'd start with the cheap, M2 bullets and make a good plinking round.

Thanks guys :txflag: still learning.

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

I don't crimp my M1 loads. I have not had any setback issues.

You can read more about that on the CMP forums.

Topic author
texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

Fired my 24 rds of Garand along with some factory PPU ammo, my reloads were hitting slightly lower POI & the brass was not being flung as far as the PPU factory loads. Function was great. I think i'm going to get some wet tumbling equipment, the dull brass was lost easily in the grass.

No problems with setback on the crimp. I did find that my primers backed themselves out to "flush" with the brass when fired, seems this would be normal. They were seated noticeably below flush when loaded.

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

Bump up your powder to 49g and you'll be set! :thumbs2:

Return to “Reloading Forum”