Ok, I need to start reloading.

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

para driver
Posts in topic: 1

Post by para driver »

I am a big fan of the Dillon 550B for handgun and small rifle ammo. It's okay for 223 and 308. Reloading 1000 rounds a year won't justify the expense, and you'll never get that consistent with the loads either.

I have broken several Lee presses when working on 375H&H, they just weren't designed for that large magnum. Kept sheering the roll pins in the linkage. I like their 'factory crimp' dies very much.

An RCBS Rockchucker can't be beat for making rifle ammo, since the quantity is not usually very much.

You will also need, deburring tool, lube and pad, tumbler and media, reloading manuals, micrometer and length gauge.

It may not be more economical to reload, but as you aquire materials and components (pound of powder here, primers there, brass at the range) you'll have a lot of internal capability to produce some ammo in times of high prices or shortages (today).

match308

Post by match308 »

Buy a book with the basics on reloading specific to rifle. ***Pistol powder in a rifle cartridge is a BAD idea and can cause a KB. The following link is an excellent primer to the science of Safe Rifle reloading. Welcome to the most addictive hobby I know.
http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthr ... #Post96660
T.Bannister

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

tomneal wrote:so...
why is the price of .223 going up?

The military went from
426 million rounds in 2001 to 1.5 billion rounds in 2006
So...

Why is it that CTD blames the war for their shortage of .30-06 (a few boxes of one brand in stock - no surplus) and 7.62x39, (three brands, two being Wolf and WWB - no surplus here either) while they have piles of milsurp .223 and .308 laying there?

Does anybody's military still use any .30-06 in any significant quantity?

jhutto
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jhutto »

Maybe the factories are making the .223, and .308 more..
less time for 30-06 to be manufactured.

Return to “Reloading Forum”