Thinking about getting into reloading

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 4

Thinking about getting into reloading

Post by johncanfield »

Been considering reloading because I now have two Sig Sauers in .357 Sig and the ammo is relatively expensive and usually not a great selection at my favorite on-line ammo shop (SGammo.)

I've watched a few YouTube videos of reloading and a couple of reloading the necked .357 casing which is apparently more involved. Any ideas/thoughts/recommendations here? Is reloading economically feasible - you can reload for xx the cost of factory ammo? I do try to shoot quite a bit so I buy quite a few rounds - I usually order lots of 250-500. We shoot .380, 9mm, .40S&W, and .357 Sig in handgun ammo. I also shoot a bit of .308 in my Bushmaster.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Thinking about getting into reloading

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've never purchased .357 SIG ammo, but a quick glance at MidwayUSA shows Winchester White box range ammo at $35 for 50. Similar range/plinking products like Remington UMC and Federal American Eagle where in the #31.50 to $40 range.

If that pricing is typical, then handloading is a no brainer for cost savings. I cast my own bullets so I handload pistol ammo for under $5.00 per 100. Purchasing cast bullets would add about $7.00 per hundred. So you could handload .357 SIG for about $6.00-$7.00 per box of 50.

Conservatively estimating a $25 per box savings, you would pay back your equipment costs in about 8 boxes of ammo. Go for it!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

I can't help you out on reloading, because I haven't gotten set up yet.

SG Ammo seems to have good prices, such as Prvi for $18.95/50.

I ordered from them once. Their shipping is reasonable and fast.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Take the NRA reloading course. Gives you an opportunity to learn the rules, and reload a few rounds without the upfront expense of buying a press and dies. I found it very entertaining and fun.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Reloading straight walled ammo is very easy and pretty quick, based on your press.

Bottleneck brass has it's own issues and will slow you down a bit.

Don't get into reloading to save money, you'll probably never get to that point. Do it because you want to load your own rounds.

For the most part, I load my own range rounds for pistols and for some strange reason, I like to load my rifle rounds based on the rifle itself, letting it choose which load/bullet combination it likes best. (I think it's just my way of shooting more...)

Nonetheless, enjoy the hobby we all call reloading.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

PBratton wrote:...Don't get into reloading to save money, you'll probably never get to that point. ... Nonetheless, enjoy the hobby we all call reloading.
I agree with you and will also say that most people are initially attracted to handloading to save money. Some people end up intrinsically enjoying handloading as a hobby and stick with it. Few people who do not also enjoy handloading, but merely view it as a means to more economically support their shooting habit, continue to handload.

Also, I agree that most people who end up enjoying handloading so not end of saving actual money, but rather they simply shoot much more at a lower cost per round.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Pawpaw wrote:SG Ammo seems to have good prices, such as Prvi for $18.95/50. I ordered from them once. Their shipping is reasonable and fast.
I'm a great customer of SGammo - the nice man in the brown uniform just delivered 500 rounds of Privi in .357 Sig. I usually buy 2,000-3,000 rounds of ammo from them every year.
george wrote:I think it would difficult for a beginner to start with .357 Sig. As you said, that particular cartridge has some peculiarities (high pressure, short neck) that make it more complicated than loading for a .38 Special, for example...
Exactly, I would not start with .357 Sig. I'll dig into reloading more. Thank you everybody for the suggestions! :tiphat:

viking1000

Post by viking1000 »

I have reloaded for the past 40 or so years ....
When you get into 380 reloading, much care is taken as the smokeless powder loads are rather small.
A first start suggestion would be a little dandy for powder charges as there are a number of different charge size rotors that throw different loads depending on powder used. The little dandy comes with only the powder measure and chart . Each rotor is purchased separately . I happen to be partial to Unique Powder.They pretty much cover charge levels for pistols of all calibers, using there rotors to exact a really accurate load for each case. I can charge 50 primed and ready cases in about 3 minutes or less.
The best part of reloading, finding a load your Rifle or Pistol likes. In the long run the reloading equipment pays for itself. Reloading also requires a understanding wife.
You have to have a bench, for mounting equipment, press, dies, case trimmer,caliper, trickle charger, funnel, Deburring tool, primer pocket cleaner, case cleaner tumbler, primers, powder, cases, Starliner Brass Company makes very good cases, and bullets.
Reloading Books, Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Barnes, Nosler, and Lyman.
Powders, I use, Hogden, Winchester, Alliant, IMR, Accurate,and Norma
There is a good start for you.
Remember you cant ever have enough ammo on hand .

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I think it would difficult for a beginner to start with .357 Sig. As you said, that particular cartridge has some peculiarities (high pressure, short neck) that make it more complicated than loading for a .38 Special, for example.
I agree. I always advise new reloaders to start with lower pressure straight walled cartridges: 38 Spl or 45LC; next choice: 45ACP
even 44 magnum is a better choice than 9mm/357sig/40s&w in my opinion.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Thanks again fellows :tiphat: . I forgot to mention rounding out our handgun caliber lineup is .45 ACP (no wheelguns.) I have plenty of room for a reloading bench, so that's not a problem.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

johncanfield wrote:Thanks again fellows :tiphat: . I forgot to mention rounding out our handgun caliber lineup is .45 ACP (no wheelguns.) I have plenty of room for a reloading bench, so that's not a problem.
Great. Start with the 45 rounds, they are easy to crank out.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

So, what do you like to know?
For starters, you should be considering a progressive press as you are reloading for volume and mainly pistol rounds. The investment cost is high return on investment is in 2 things: Enjoyment of reloading and accuracy for the rifle. For pistols, its all depends on the volume and how much time you have to spare.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... -part-one/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... art-two-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Demo for rifle
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For 45 ACP
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

^^ Great articles ^^ that's exactly the information I was looking for :thumbs2: . As I suspected, reloading wouldn't make sense at this point in time for the common pistol rounds since ammo is readily available nowadays, however I think a case can be made for reloading .357 Sig based on this fellow's analysis. Something I didn't think about was .308. I enjoy shooting my Bushmaster and like to shoot 168 grain boat tail hollow point match ammo but I can't always find a deal on those so reloading would definitely make sense there. I've saved quite a bit of my .308 brass just because.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Beiruty wrote:So, what do you like to know?
For starters, you should be considering a progressive press as you are reloading for volume and mainly pistol rounds. The investment cost is high return on investment is in 2 things: Enjoyment of reloading and accuracy for the rifle. For pistols, its all depends on the volume and how much time you have to spare.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... -part-one/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... art-two-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Demo for rifle

For 45 ACP
Thanks for the info. Way too many things on the must buy list ahead of reload setup, but the last video on the list is what I've been looking for. Fairly simple and straightforward process.

Return to “Reloading Forum”