Trying my hand at .380 Auto

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mjoplin
Posts in topic: 2

Trying my hand at .380 Auto

Post by mjoplin »

AlaskanInTexas had a good point in his recent post, traffic has been slow lately.... I'll do my part to get things moving again.

I finally tried my hand at .380 loads this past week. Have never went that route in the past as boxed stuff used to be pretty inexpensive. I had moved the Dillon over to small primer for a bit to load some .40 S&W and used that as a good excuse to set up a toolhead for .380 whilst there. Also tried some Win231 for the first time. Clays or Unique have always been my go to powder for .45 but from the research I did they didn't look optimal for these little guys.

The recipe I used was 3.4 gr W231 (their data showed 3.2 - 3.5 for the range), 90 gr. Hornady XTP, Fed Match SPP. I loaded up 10 of these and tried 5 each in a KelTec P3AT and a Walther PK380. I didn't follow best practices and start from the low end and work up. I have had issues with the Walther cycling well with some of the milder factory ammo so I started a bit above midpoint.

Both functioned well, grouped well (given the firearms used and the person pulling the trigger), and cycled with no issues. Very pleased with the results and ran 75 with used brass, and when I ran out, 100 with new Starline brass. Will be another regular one for me now along with .45 ACP and .40 S&W. I will also say I am pleased with the way W231 meters on the 550. Given the narrow range of 0.3 gr from min to max I went way overboard in checking both on electronic and beam scales. It didn't once deviate from 3.4.

Sent a note off to Donnie at Bayou Bullets to see about some samples of his 95 gr. LRN and 105 gr LFP bullets in 380. I plan on trying those to see what cycles best in both sidearms and search for some more brass to load up 500 or so.

NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trying my hand at .380 Auto

Post by rotor »

I use the same load in my S&W Bodyguard 380.

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ammoboy2 »

I use 3.2 gr of W231 with 100 grain Berry or Xtreme bullets. I have found the shorter OALs worked best.

Topic author
mjoplin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mjoplin »

Got the samples in form Bayou and loaded a few last night to check out this weekend in a PK380 and P3AT. Went together nicely, but running into an issue with the LRNs. The seating stem on the die is cutting into the bullet around the circumference around the halfway point on the exposed bullet. Anybody ever run into this? I am using RCBS carbide dies and have sent a note off to their customer service this morning to get their take on it.

NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

Return to “Reloading Forum”