What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mjoplin
Posts in topic: 6

What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

Post by mjoplin »

Hoping to stimulate a bit of activity here as it has been quiet for a while. Worked up some extremely accurate 30-06 loads for deer season. First time hunting with these bullets, so will be interesting to see the expansion results.

Using once fired Norma brass, Federal Match large rifle primers, 55.0 grains of IMR 4350, and Berger 185 grain Hunting VLD bullets. They make one ragged hole in a 3 shot group at 100 yards from a Lead Sled. Really impressed with the accuracy, reading lots of controversy around fragmenting vs. controlled expansion. The differing opinions are nearly as polarized as the Lee FCD on most forums.

Very interesting read on setting the right COAL on Bergers website at: http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-th ... our-rifle/

I ran through the exercise and there is a definitive sweet spot on the length!

As always, NEVER trust load data posted on a forum, validate and get your load data from the manufacturers or a manual!

NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

MONGOOSE
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

Post by MONGOOSE »

All good components. Barrel length?

Topic author
mjoplin

Post by mjoplin »

24" barrel, 1-10 twist rate, calculated sg stability factor of 1.94 for this bullet.
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I loaded 500 rounds of 10MM 180GR Hornady 180GR FMJ-FP bullet,6.2GR Unique powder, Winchester WLP primers
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

olafpfj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by olafpfj »

I have been neglecting reloading and shooting in general lately but you've prompted me to get off my duff and get back to work.

I'm going to continue my exploration of using Reloader 17 in 7.5x55 swiss. The K31 forums have been saying that it is actually what is used in milsurp GP11. My first load was less than stellar on the accuracy but it was just the starting load and then I just didn't follow through with the rest of the ladder load work up. I used 47.5gr of powder and a 168gr Hornady BTHP producing 2559fps average. The rounds shot very nice from a comfort standpoint and cycled well but I did have 2 FTF from a no strike and a light strike. I suspect that those 2 rounds were seated a tiny bit long and the bolt wasn't completely locked up, a known issue when reloading for the K31 They both fired on the second attempt.

To get a matching GP11 load I need to be using Berger 178gr bullets but I'm light on cash these days and need to stick with what I have on hand.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 48

Post by Beiruty »

1) I went and shot 83 rds of 45 ACP 230 gr Hornady HAP over the 4.5gr of Universal. I was not happy with chrono read MV, ~320 fps!! A lot of flash blast which is messing up the readings. I need to place the chrono at least 3yrd in the front of the shooting line and I was not granted to do that at indoor range.
I came back with more 150 45ACP cases ;)
2) I got in the mail 5 Lee square ratchet for my Lee Classic Turrets and 1 clamp for said squares.
3) Sized, deprimed and SS wet cleaned and primed those 150+ 15ACP cases.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

"I was not happy with chrono read MV, ~320 fps"

Were you able to see the bullets as they slow motioned their way to the target?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Abraham wrote:"I was not happy with chrono read MV, ~320 fps"

Were you able to see the bullets as they slow motioned their way to the target?
Just flash-bang, recoil and recover.
Beiruty,

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I'm going to load up some 9MM this week and I don't have any dies for it. I've always used RCBS. If you were going to buy a new set of dies for a Hornady LNL AP what you go with?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I'm going to load up some 9MM this week and I don't have any dies for it. I've always used RCBS. If you were going to buy a new set of dies for a Hornady LNL AP what you go with?
Lee Factory 4-dies set, or Hornady 3-dies set with Lee Factory crimp.
Beiruty,

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

last week was prepping around 800 pieces of brass .... .38 spl, .357 mag, .45 acp, and .44 mag. Loaded 50 rounds of .44 mag "thumpers" for early part of deer season. This week, so far, no actual hands on .... but I sure think about it a lot.

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

rotor

Post by rotor »

I installed a MEC sizemaster for 12 ga and have started reloading shotshells. Was able to get an 8# jar of Clays from Cabela's. Working on 7/8 oz loads. For the question of which dies for pistol, I use the Lee dies and I think the Lee factory crimp is one of the best. Never had any problem with Lee dies.

viking1000
Posts in topic: 2

Post by viking1000 »

Decided to load some 44 Colt cases from Starline Brass . Using GOEX 3FG black powder. 205 grain bullet lubed. I shoot them in my Uberti open top 44, and my Ruger 44 Special .
Just something different ...

Topic author
mjoplin

Post by mjoplin »

Now working on some 380's for the Kel Tec and Walther unloaders. Mostly Starline but some mixed brass with Hornady XTPs on top. Using WAP powder and CCI small pistol primers.

NRA Life Member

Return to “Reloading Forum”