Beginer Setup? Progressive?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

trashysquid
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Beginer Setup? Progressive?

Post by trashysquid »

Beiruty wrote:I started with Classic Turret and Lee Handheld press. You would like it and stick with it.
I second this suggestion wholeheartedly, especially for a beginner. I have the hand press for sizing/de-priming brass while I'm on the couch, the original press for sizing, de-priming and trimming duty on the bench, and a Classic Turret for loading. The price of admission with Lee equipment is low enough so that if for whatever reason later on you decide to not really get into reloading, you aren't regretting any major purchases. Additionally, you might find that your ability to comfortably load 100 pistol cartridges/hour and 25 rifle cartridges/hour (once you get the hang of it) is more than enough for recreational purposes, unless you do 3 gun tournaments regularly, and the like. Lots of Lee haters out there, but their products are used by many, many people as an entry way into the fun hobby that is reloading...and some even stick with Lee stuff, like I did.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

Let me add, now I have classic turret and Hornady AP. Both are seeing a little use. Why? I accumulated enough loaded Ammo that would enough for couple years at least. I am still body-able, hard working, Principal Engineer with a Family of 5 plus Mom-in-L, plus..... Laika our GS dog.
I have very few times other than weekends.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Piney

Post by Piney »

rentz wrote:I've thought about reloading for a few years now and see more shortages on the horizon so now might be as good a time as any to jump in.
have read here and there on it and see some recommend a single stage to start then get progressive and others say jump to progressive.

I'd be looking for volume with each session so progressive makes the most sense, does brand really matter? Lee vs hornandy vs dillon?

Would mainly be doing 9mm and 45acp to start but then expand out to 223 and then reloading for the c&r items like 303 british and 7.5x55
IMO--progressive, based on your original comment about volume.
Brand-- Its a Ford/Chevy deal to me. Personally, I bought a Dillon 650 based on several shooting buddies' recommendations. Dillon's service has been good to me with answering questions, adjustment advice and an occasional replacement part.

As others said-- go slow-- read, watch YOUTUBE and as others suggested- find a mentor to help you set it up and practice a bit.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Started with a Lee single stage and moved up to a Lee turret. Also have a Mec Sizemaster. I don't reload enough to need a progressive and I am sure that many can start with a progressive and use it initially like a single stage working each station. These setups are far more expensive and require a lot of attention. With a Lee turret you can easily change between calibers, the turret bases are cheap, it is easy to go step by step through each position and watch what you are doing. It is easy to stop and answer the phone and not get messed up on a turret type press. I also use Lee powder dispensers and they are accurate. I can very easily change over from one caliber to another by just popping the preset bases with dies attached into the press. After all is said and done, I don't reload while ammo is cheap and available but I have stockpiled for the future. The exception is shotshell and I enjoy loading Remington cases with 7/8 oz loads. Sizemaster is fun to use.

Return to “Reloading Forum”