Duplicating hornandy xtp 230 gr .45 ACP+p

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 2

Duplicating hornandy xtp 230 gr .45 ACP+p

Post by Doug.38PR »

My manuals, including hornandy, do not appear to have data for+p loadings. I shot 10 year old factory ammo of this same ammo and I felt like I was shooting a .44 magnum in a 1911. I'd love to duplicate it. I can get the bullet, I have the spent casings. But no loading data

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Duplicating hornandy xtp 230 gr .45 ACP+p

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Doug.38PR wrote:My manuals, including hornandy, do not appear to have data for+p loadings. I shot 10 year old factory ammo of this same ammo and I felt like I was shooting a .44 magnum in a 1911. I'd love to duplicate it. I can get the bullet, I have the spent casings. But no loading data
Call Horndy, I'm not sure that they'll give you the info but its worth a shot. They are a reloading company after all.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Doug.38PR »

AndyC wrote:With the potential liability around +p loads, I'm not surprised.

Why not simply start with a known safe, reliable load for that bullet and start working your way up to it until you get to where you want? That's one reason we reload, right? ;-)
.38 spl+p is listed in the reloading manuals. Why not .45 ACP+p?

I'm doing exactly what you're suggesting. But I fear unique and even power pistol will not get me to the above said factory +p even with the maximum .45 ACP manual load

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Could it have anything to do with .45 ACP not being fully supported?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Reloading Forum”