Need to clean really tarnished brass?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Need to clean really tarnished brass?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flechero wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:27 am
Beiruty wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:09 pm Finished goods
Beiruty- I can't see any of your pics
I can't either.

Chas.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Post by warnmar10 »

Ditto

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WTR »

I see the pics just fine. My question is, did your brass start out as tarnished before you clean them or just once shot brass which you own?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Sorry Google to be blamed
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PtCqGpcxwZJBL8Hq8
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

More photos of SS wet cleaned brass
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uX7ZUnZAgusJWRHD9
Beiruty,

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

WTR wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:12 am I see the pics just fine. My question is, did your brass start out as tarnished before you clean them or just once shot brass which you own?
Pistol cases are outdoor range pickups. All rifles are shot by me and went from rifle to storage box.
Revolvers cases are virgin.
Beiruty,

flechero

Post by flechero »

As goofy as it sounds... I still smile every time I see a batch of shiny brass! :lol:

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Post by warnmar10 »

flechero wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:10 amAs goofy as it sounds... I still smile every time I see a batch of shiny brass! :lol:
And chicks dig it.

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LeonCarr »

My preferred potion is 20/40 corn cob blasting grit from Grainger and NuFinish Car Polish.

I have bought several cases of NuFinish over the past 30 years and have never used it for polishing a car :coolgleamA:

All of it got mixed with corn cob or walnut. I use the walnut for the really grungy brass.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm going to begrudgingly start wet tumbling, but without the SS pins. I'm going to do it primarily to get away from the lead laden dust. I've tried used fabric softener sheets from the dryer, but they are only marginally effective. Even if I wear a mask, the dust settles in the garage and gets stirred up when I sweep.

I'm installing a kitchen double oven in the garage to use for drying the brass, so I won't have to deal with smaller brass dryers. (The ovens will be used for other projects as well.) I'd like to build something larger than the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler, but there just isn't enough time. I have so much brass that I don't need to turn it around quickly. This means I can shoot until I have thousands of rounds to clean. Has any Forum Members built a wet tumbler?

Chas.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I use a 3 drum rock tumbler. I use whisk and cream of tar tar. Only range brass I clean is pistol brass and the occasional find of once shot .233 or .308 brass. Works well. I rinse with distiled water and air dry ( very low humidity out here).

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:53 am I'm going to begrudgingly start wet tumbling, but without the SS pins. I'm going to do it primarily to get away from the lead laden dust. I've tried used fabric softener sheets from the dryer, but they are only marginally effective. Even if I wear a mask, the dust settles in the garage and gets stirred up when I sweep.

I'm installing a kitchen double oven in the garage to use for drying the brass, so I won't have to deal with smaller brass dryers. (The ovens will be used for other projects as well.) I'd like to build something larger than the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler, but there just isn't enough time. I have so much brass that I don't need to turn it around quickly. This means I can shoot until I have thousands of rounds to clean. Has any Forum Members built a wet tumbler?

Chas.
Years ago I took the time to make a wet tumbler. This was not something thrown together but fabricated in a nice way. I made it with a piece of 12" well casing for the barrel. Without going into a lot of detail, I will say that today I don't have the time to do another and it takes time to do it right. A few months ago a friend just had to have the old wet tumbler so I sold it to him. It was loud because it was not lined and try as one might to get a good seal, the door seeped water. In time he cured those issues and is happy with it. I had been using my Dillon (CV-2001) tumbler. A few months ago I broke down and bought a Frankfort. I am pleased with it. To date I have not used any pins, just soap, lemi shine and water and my brass shines like a silver dollar. Personally I think you would do fine with one. If you have a lot of brass, just continue the process load after load or as time permits until you catch up. I haven't counted how much brass goes into the Frankfort but it's a lot. Believe me this unit beats the heck out of the time you are going to spend building one. And, I feel certain it will do a better job.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

I have seen Beriuty's brass and its looks as good as factory. I just have not had time to get in to wet tumbling after buying a Harbor freight rock tumbler and some pins from Cabalas ( Frankford arsenal ) 5 lbs cleaned some pennys to see how it worked. Ithink any of the new wet tumblers will do the job I don't have that much brass so it suits me.

Just a note to Chas Look on Jerry Mickulek site or U-tube vid's He has a small concret mixer cleaning range brass and a

Electric range to help dry the stuff. The vid is about 5 min or less and might give you some ideas.

The place where Beruity get his shreds makes tumbler out of PVC pipe and they may have an idea for larger vol.
My 2 cents
ET-ret
Don't get to worrying about the lead to much unless you are very sensitive. I worked in Linotype as a younger man
and I smelter type metal in a open pot and cleaned lino machines for years walke around with a sandwich in one hand and a pig in the other
I am 78 going on 79 and have other problems but cannot get a DR to have my blood tested for lead.
I knew one guy who had lead poisin and he ran a Linotype machine for 20 more years and retired for 10 more.

rotor

Post by rotor »

ET-Ret wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:55 pm r
I am 78 going on 79 and have other problems but cannot get a DR to have my blood tested for lead.
I knew one guy who had lead poisin and he ran a Linotype machine for 20 more years and retired for 10 more.
Here is how to get tested if doctor won't order it.
https://www.healthlabs.com/lead-blood-h ... rTEALw_wcB

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

rotor wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 pm
ET-Ret wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:55 pm r
Here is how to get tested if doctor won't order it.
https://www.healthlabs.com/lead-blood-h ... rTEALw_wcB
You can also find companies which will do a hair test.

Return to “Reloading Forum”