Single Stage Press: Hornady vs RCBS?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cyphur
Posts in topic: 2

Single Stage Press: Hornady vs RCBS?

Post by cyphur »

I am looking to get into reloading for my 6.5CM. I am looking at single stage presses for what I hope are obvious reasons. I'll be focused on quality, not quantity. Workflow will be around precision and thus slow regardless.

In looking at both companies mentioned, is there any glaring reason to go with one over the other? I am looking for first hand experience, specifically. If you've used both, even better. I've been reading a lot of reviews and it seems to be a coin toss.

Just looking for more info to help aid in the decision. Thanks!

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Single Stage Press: Hornady vs RCBS?

Post by strogg »

I suggest you head over to Cabela's or someplace that stocks both on display. Play with each one and decide which one feels better for you. I ended up going green myself, but the primary reason behind it is the rebate offer they had. Otherwise, only very minute differences will sway you one or the other.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Have you thought about a Lee Press (I know, people think they are third rate). I have the one that uses the bushing for the die. That allows the die to float slightly so that the alignment is good and the die squares with the shell holder at the end of the stroke. I have a 6.5 CM as well and it produces ammo that shoots some very tiny groups in my rifle. I used to be big on the RCBS gear but it is all being made overseas now and the quality is not what it used to be. On a plus, they will keep sending parts until you get something that works.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I have a LEE Classic Turret and I use it to load super accurate precision rifle ammo. 3 in the same hole at 100 yards. I use it also to load 45 ACP using the indexing rod, and I can load 5-6 rds per min.

As for your Question, RCBS Rock Chucker on sale cannot be beat. Lowest price I noticed was $128 for the press alone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

For my single stage press I run an RCBS Rock Chucker with the Hornady die bushing. When I swap dies I simply verify nothing has changed and then I move on rather than setup the die each time. When I set up the dies in the removable bushings I do mark the bushing so that I can use that as an index to put the die back exactly like I left it. The differences between the two presses is that the Hornady press supposedly is not a Cam-over design while the RCBS is. Some folks will tell you that a cam-over press produces more consistent results while others will claim that it stresses the equipment (especially the dies) more than they should be stressed.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Post by warnmar10 »

The correct answer is: Big Boss 2

The extra credit answer is: T7 Turret

flechero

sorry to deviate from the given choice, but...

Post by flechero »

If you are loading for precision, I would suggest you look beyond the original question and consider a Forster CO-AX. It's only about $100 more than the others (which you'll save back by not needing the QC die adapters for the others)

I did a lot of research for the same reason and talked to several long range precision guys... and the CO-AX was the #1 recommendation.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

SRO1911 wrote:I have and have had a 'few' presses. Currently I think I am down to 5 total, this is a low point.
Your absolute best bet is to find a nice, previously love rcbs - they are always out there and like almost any good tool - they wear in, not out. As long as the RAM (not the handle) has no side play, you are good to go.

I agree with this advice.

I'm not an expert, I don't play one on TV, and the only reason I reload is because I found some gear at an estate sale that was too cheap to pass up. I don't reload for extreme accuracy, just for hog hunting, so I don't feel that I need the very best stuff.

I have an RCBS SR3 (Special Reloader 3 ??) and it works great for my purposes.
There's lots of stuff on eBay, or you could just watch for garage/estate sales. This stuff generally doesn't wear out quickly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-RS-3-Reloa ... 2448855646

Good luck, whatever path you choose!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

My 2 cents. I believe that for single stage all of the above will work. If the goal is quality the dies and powder measure are the most critical. I personally use Lee but rarely load rifle. I have the Lee single stage and a turret. Interchangeable mounting brackets. I would think that with good dies and an accurate electric powder measure ( I have an RCBS but haven't used it ) you can get quality. I cartridge gauge everything and it all comes out good.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Either press will be fine. Dies, powder measure, technique and various other small measure will produce accurate loads.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I'm a Hornady user myself, and not an expert reloader at all. I've got the Lock-n-Load kit (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74999 ... -press-kit), and I've been very happy. I selected this kit because of rebates, and I was able to get the full kit on sale for about $220 last Christmas.

I reload for fun, and because generally I feel like I can save some cash doing it myself. I do load 9mm and .223, and I've had no issues glaring with the press or my end products, but I also have not gotten to the point of loading my rounds to hit the same hole at 100yd yet. I don't have any reservations that this kit can support that endeavor when I get there, however.

I would tend to agree with others here, generally if you take care of your tools they will last you a good long time. I know a guy that uses LEE gear to load precision rounds and he doesn't complain, so you probably won't hate that selection either. I do use a LEE taper crimp die on my 9mm as I read over and over that it was the best selection for that specific purpose.

Hornady or RCBS I don't think are bad choices. While someone did complain about customer service issues with Hornady I can say that I haven't had any at all, but that's only because I haven't had issue 1 that required me hitting them up for anything.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

WTR wrote:Either press will be fine. Dies, powder measure, technique and various other small measure will produce accurate loads.
Caliper is a *requirement* as are case gauges, I fully agree with you on the accurate small measurements.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

T.O.M.

Post by T.O.M. »

I have a RCBS Rock Chucker I got new as a Christmas present in 1970 still under warranty no question asked ,when I called 5 years ago to buy new primer receptacle They send me one at no cost

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I don't know if it's a good deal or not, but...

Save $82 on RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Reloading Forum”