Which press is right for me question asked for the 100th time

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Which press is right for me question asked for the 100th time

Post by E.Marquez »

rotor wrote: It is easy to make it so that it doesn't index. Many people disable the index feature and rotate the turret by hand.
Ok, well it was a how question more then can you.. but Youtube saves the day...I see you have to partially index the turret and pull the rod up and out.
As for disabling the index feature while loading as a permanent plan...if that is what i wanted I would not buy an auto indexing press :biggrinjester:
I bought a RCBS rock chucker last night for $20 cash from Craigs list..and a decapper die this morning...
First shots fired......
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

E.Marquez wrote: I bought a RCBS rock chucker last night for $20 cash from Craigs list..
SCORE!! Nice find!

As for scales- the reviews are always hit or miss in digitals. If I went digi it would be a Gempro- almost bought one several times. I went balance for now- with magnetic dampening it is just about as fast as a digital, with no warm up period, way fewer interference issues, etc.and don't have to constantly re-zero during a session (unless I bump it, I will double check it)

I actually bought a RCBS 505 from an ebay store- brand new for about 1/2 the price as most retailers. For powder you are normally only weighing 4 - 80 grains so the typical 1000 gr capacity scale is necessary. Plus I think the smaller the capacity the better it can weigh smaller amounts. Although not marked past .1 grain increments, you can easily see smaller amounts on the needle, which allows you to really dial in, almost to the kernel. (with digital, you are never sure where in the .1 you fall, is it X.19 or X.10 which in can make a difference- especially in precision rifle.

As important as a good scale is a good set of check weights. (even if you buy a good digital scale) I opted to go with a pharmaceutical set in milligrams... and I calibrate at the actual powder charge weight I intend to load that session. I figure there is no point in calibrating to a 250 or 500 grain weight when I am weighing for 5 grains... All the articles I have read say scales are not consistent across all ranges. So setting up at a close to use range is optimal.

A simple conversion to milligrams and I'm calibrating at actual needed weight. For light target loads I use 4gr. clays and set up with 260 mg of check weights (which is 4.01gr.) Spot on!

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

flechero wrote:

As for scales- the reviews are always hit or miss in digitals.
That is ground truth, all of them have a High and low of Best ever, recommend to all / worst ever junk. And its making the decision tough.

A beam scale has many advantages Id prefer, and one downside for me I cant get past.... reading it... Same reason I retired thousands of dollars of precision measuring Mics, calipers and dial gauges.... reading the marks, lines and dials was getting to time consuming and error prone.

The Gempro gets the same common high marks and poor review comments as all others, so Im just going to have to decide and buy something and see for myself.

Thanks for the response.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

flechero

Post by flechero »

You have it figured out- knowing your own likes/limitations is a key in doing it right. If I had the extra money at the time I would have tried the Gempro. I did a lot of research and talked to several people about digi scales. Without spending a TON of money, it's considered the to be among the very best.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Second round on target
Lee classic current press kit from local shooting supply store in my little town $215 out the door

That's less than the midway price

rotor
Posts in topic: 8

Post by rotor »

E.Marquez wrote:Second round on target
Lee classic current press kit from local shooting supply store in my little town $215 out the door

Does it have the newer type powder drop (Autodrum) or older Pro-Auto disk? Auto drum is far better in my opinion.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

rotor wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:Second round on target

Does it have the newer type powder drop (Autodrum) or older Pro-Auto disk? Auto drum is far better in my opinion.
Auto drum, and they added a 4 pack Auto drum set for $15

rotor
Posts in topic: 8

Post by rotor »

Good deal. You will enjoy it and youtube is your friend.

flechero

Post by flechero »

E.Marquez wrote: from local shooting supply store in my little town
In Kempner?? Do tell... very little to speak of in reloading over in the temple/belton area. I'm out that direction on occasion and would like to check it out next time.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

flechero wrote:
E.Marquez wrote: from local shooting supply store in my little town
In Kempner?? Do tell... very little to speak of in reloading over in the temple/belton area. I'm out that direction on occasion and would like to check it out next time.
Copperas Cove

JT Sports

flechero

Post by flechero »

E.Marquez wrote:
Copperas Cove JT Sports[/quote]

Thanks, will check them out next time I head west :tiphat:

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

flechero wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
Copperas Cove JT Sports
Thanks, will check them out next time I head west :tiphat:[/quote]
Hole in the wall shop well over stuffed.
They own the cleaners next store as well, and the building complex I believe.
Its family run operation and prices are generally slightly higher then Internet prices , and then with tax a bit higher still. But it is a brick and mortar store you can walk into, touch and feel product. They have a little of a lot, and a medium amount of what is common to them. You can hang out and chat for an hour buying nothing and get the same great service as if you walked in with a wad of cash pointing at three rifles on the wall for an easy sale.
I got luck on the price point for this purchase, it was unexpected and a pleasant surprise..Im sure they will make it up when I go back for more gear...lol

flechero

Post by flechero »

A little higher price for local store is fine- Our local gun store is so much higher that the hazmat fees look reasonable. Locally you save the $30 hazmat fee on powder/primers, so factor that into the equation on any decent priced stuff.

Return to “Reloading Forum”