Is Federal Gearing Up to Attack the Reloading Bullets Market?…

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Is Federal Gearing Up to Attack the Reloading Bullets Market?…

Post by Pawpaw »

Within the last few weeks Federal has announced a couple different varieties of bullets they are selling as reloading components. This is a first for them and has surprised a lot of us since they normally stick to loaded ammunition, primers and brass. It is definitely not something outside the scope of their abilities as an ammunition manufacturer. It is simply something that they have not attempted to dabble in before.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... ets-market
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is Federal Gearing Up to Attack the Reloading Bullets Market?…

Post by Jusme »

It could be that Federal, like most ammo manufacturers, are seeing a decline in sales, due to the outcome of the election, the fact that so many stocked up pre--election, and that the Dept. of Homeland Security, hasn't bought a run of millions of rounds like they did a couple of years ago. This may just be a way, to get involved, and work their way into a new ( for them) market. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

:iagree:

I went looking and they're selling more than just bullets.

https://www.federalpremium.com/components/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

I purchase my supplies from a wholesaler and Federal componants has always been an option for the past few years. They were pricey compared to other manufacturers and I do not remember seeing their hollowpoints other than the HST line being available.
Salty1

dru

Post by dru »

I read the post title and immediately thought that the ATF was up to something idiotic once again

CZp10
Banned

Post by CZp10 »

Sorry for the dumb question but I have never reloaded. If I mainly shoot 9mm and pay about 18 to 19 cents each for them, is there any way I can really save money by reloading? I would need to do full metal jacket bullets, the wife would never allow lead.
Thanks.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

CZp10 wrote:Sorry for the dumb question but I have never reloaded. If I mainly shoot 9mm and pay about 18 to 19 cents each for them, is there any way I can really save money by reloading? I would need to do full metal jacket bullets, the wife would never allow lead.
Thanks.
You don't save any money but you get to shoot a lot more!

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

CZp10 wrote:Sorry for the dumb question but I have never reloaded. If I mainly shoot 9mm and pay about 18 to 19 cents each for them, is there any way I can really save money by reloading? I would need to do full metal jacket bullets, the wife would never allow lead.
Thanks.
You do not use FMJ, you use copper plated RN lead bullets. 115gr plated 9mm can be acquired at 7 cents each. 2 cents for the powder and 2-3 cents for primer. It is not worth it to reload for 9mm, but I do since I shoot like 150 round or so each weekend.
Your time is worth what your employer pays you. Assume savings is $6 per 100. If I can clock 300 rds in 1hr so my time is valued at $18 per hour in terms of savings.

Now, I load for 9mm, 45 ACP, 223 for AR, 243 for PSR, 30-06 for Hunting/PSR and 300WM for LR PSR.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Beiruty wrote:
Thanks.
You do not use FMJ, you use copper plated RN lead bullets. 115gr plated 9mm can be acquired at 7 cents each. 2 cents for the powder and 2-3 cents for primer. It is not worth it to reload for 9mm, but I do since I shoot like 150 round or so each weekend.
Your time is worth what your employer pays you. Assume savings is $6 per 100. If I can clock 300 rds in 1hr so my time is valued at $18 per hour in terms of savings.

Now, I load for 9mm, 45 ACP, 223 for AR, 243 for PSR, 30-06 for Hunting/PSR and 300WM for LR PSR.
Cast and poly-coated bullets as well. I prefer them over plated and I buy JHPs rather than FMJ in any caliber because prices are similar enough. Everglades sells an excellent/very accurate 124 gr. JHP that was once sold by RMR and actually manufactured for them by Montana Gold.

I would really like to see new Federal JHPs like the HSTs for sale, the Hydra-Shoks also. Previously sold only as "Pulled" bullets. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Return to “Reloading Forum”