Brass Cleaning

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Brass Cleaning

Post by ET-Ret »

Wonder who has the best stainless pins for the Harbor Freight tumbler. I got one today but have not taken it out of the box.
Et-ret

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBR »

ET-Ret wrote:Wonder who has the best stainless pins for the Harbor Freight tumbler. I got one today but have not taken it out of the box.
Et-ret
There is a guy on facebook (has a site will try to find it) that sells chips instead of the pins. Many seem to like them much better, I have some along with pins but have not tried them as no brass to clean right now. They should clean the primer pockets better plus no getting stuck in case opening.

edited: https://www.facebook.com/southernshinetumblers
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ET-Ret »

Thanks for the reply I will check them out and repost.
ET-ret

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

When I was reloading back in the 1970s-1990s, I had a Lortone Rock Tumbler, and used crushed walnut hulls with jeweler's rouge mixed in with the hulls. I don't remember where I got the jeweler's rouge in a bottle. You could also buy the hulls with jeweler's rouge already mixed into them online or at gun shows. About 1995, I sold my Dillon progressive press, all my dies, etc., to my neighbor in Arkansas, because my shoulder was starting to bother me. That's what can happen if you load ammo every night and shoot it up on the weekends. :lol:
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm still using my old "business" purchased small ultra-sonic cleaner from 1983 ... deprime, clean and let dry.
I don't care a bit about "shiny" - just clean, inside and out.

Yep, I'm stubborn

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:Although I've tumbled brass in various dry media for decades I'm no expert in what is best.

However, from what I have seen through researching others' use, these seemed to be the general norms:

1. Walnut shell/lizard bedding is most efficient at crud-removal and quickly results in clean yet non-sparkly brass (this is what I use).

2. Crushed corn-cob media (with a capful of an additive such as Nu Finish liquid car polish) seems to work on the finer polishing to get that more sparkly look but takes a lot longer to get heavy crud gone.

3. Some folks run their brass through walnut media first to get the crud off then drop the brass into corn-cob after to get the finer polish - others mix walnut and corn-cob media into the same bowl to do everything in one step.

Me, I'll be trying the latter - getting some corn-cob media and Nu Finish polish and putting that in with my walnut lizard bedding.
I used walnut shell with Nu-finish to clean up a couple thousand .30 M1 cases that had been submerged during Allison and sat for for years after drying. They had green and black on much of them. On the worst hulls some discoloration remained, but they were clean. The ones with just green came out shiny. I used the large Harbor Freight vibrator and HF Walnut Hulls.
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... or#p766252
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

strogg

Post by strogg »

I have another upvote for walnut shells. That's what I use with a dash of Klasse All-In-One (https://www.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html). I mix in the polish well so it doesn't just clump up. Afterwards, all the brass is nice and shiny and feels slick.

Before dumping it into the tumbler, though, I will rinse off any brass that hit the dirty ground in a solvent solution I make (HCl-based Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, dish soap, and lots of water). It removes the caked on dirt/grime and deoxidizes the brass. Just a quick 5 minute rinse in a bucket is all you need. Just let it air-dry in a cardboard box or a bunch of paper towels, and it's good to go for the walnut media.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

I just tried adding some Flitz to my walnut shells (Harbor Freight tumbler). Wow, the results are amazing, like brand new. And I shoot black powder in my reloads.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

It takes 90mins max in SS wet wash to get like new results.
I use only Car Wash and Wax (Meguire's) and Very hot water.
I also switched from SS Pins to SS shreds.
I dry on old beach towel and no spots on the cases, and said cases do not get tarnished with time.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... 5RV3lLSDJR
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

AndyC wrote:That does look absolutely outstanding, but how long does it take the brass to dry? Asking because I like to start reloading my cleaned brass right away.
If you deprime before you wet wash, it would dry fast. Still I hate to see water hides in the primer pocket. So either I leave the brass overnight to dry or if I want to load right away. I have the FA "food dryer" style dryer. 20 to 30 mins and they are bone dry.
Get a large food dryer from garage sale or online and use large trays to spread the brass. It will go quick.
I can dry 500 9mm cases or so at the same time.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Beiruty wrote:
AndyC wrote:That does look absolutely outstanding, but how long does it take the brass to dry? Asking because I like to start reloading my cleaned brass right away.
If you deprime before you wet wash, it would dry fast. Still I hate to see water hides in the primer pocket. So either I leave the brass overnight to dry or if I want to load right away. I have the FA "food dryer" style dryer. 20 to 30 mins and they are bone dry.
Get a large food dryer from garage sale or online and use large trays to spread the brass. It will go quick.
I can dry 500 9mm cases or so at the same time.
Since I load black powder, I wash my brass with hot soapy water first (Dawn dishwashing), rinse in a colander, then oven dry at 175F for a couple hours to make sure nooks and crannies are dry.. Then walnut/flitz tumble. I do not deprime first. Used to, but doesn't seem to make any difference.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Reloading Forum”