Brass Cleaning

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Brass Cleaning

Post by warnmar10 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I have to admit that's impressive.

Chas.
Brass that clean and shiny is completely unnecessary but oh so gratifying.

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ET-Ret »

How often does the Walnut mix need to be changed out?

I really want to thank all the ans I got.

I bought some walnut mix and it seems to be a lot better. (RCBS Formula #1)

ET-ret

striker55
Posts in topic: 1

Post by striker55 »

I used Brasso in the 80's with a rag for stubborn stained brass.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Charles L Cotton wrote: All I've ever used is walnut hulls, so I have no experience with cord cob media. I've read that walnut is better for cleaning while corn cob is better for polishing after cleaning. I've never been willing to tumble brass twice, plus I can get a good shine with walnut. It just doesn't get the inside as clean as wet tumbling, but I don't care about the inside. I might feel differently if I decapped before tumbling, that that's never going to happen!
Charles, you don't need to tumble twice, try throwing in some corn cob w the walnut shell. It takes a little longer but
the mix does a nice job of cleaning & polishing. Maybe 20-30% corn cob. You can fine tune to your standards.
Personally, I am ocd anal. I deprime, drop in the Hornady ultrasonic & then the vibratory tumbler 70/30 corn cob to walnut.
YMMV

:txflag: :patriot:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

pushpullpete wrote:
Charles L Cotton wrote: All I've ever used is walnut hulls, so I have no experience with cord cob media. I've read that walnut is better for cleaning while corn cob is better for polishing after cleaning. I've never been willing to tumble brass twice, plus I can get a good shine with walnut. It just doesn't get the inside as clean as wet tumbling, but I don't care about the inside. I might feel differently if I decapped before tumbling, that that's never going to happen!
Charles, you don't need to tumble twice, try throwing in some corn cob w the walnut shell. It takes a little longer but
the mix does a nice job of cleaning & polishing. Maybe 20-30% corn cob. You can fine tune to your standards.
Personally, I am ocd anal. I deprime, drop in the Hornady ultrasonic & then the vibratory tumbler 70/30 corn cob to walnut.
YMMV

I didn't realize you can combine walnut and corn cob effectively. I'll give that a try. I have to go to Clemtex and get a 40 lb bag of crushed walnut hulls, so I'll get some corn cob as well.

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
pushpullpete wrote:
YMMV

I didn't realize you can combine walnut and corn cob effectively. I'll give that a try. I have to go to Clemtex and get a 40 lb bag of crushed walnut hulls, so I'll get some corn cob as well.

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.
What does Clemtex charge for Walnut shell. I've been buying it at Harbor Freight.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

flechero

Post by flechero »

puma guy wrote: What does Clemtex charge for Walnut shell. I've been buying it at Harbor Freight.

Lots of guys on the reloading forums buy lizard litter on line and claim it's the best deal... you can probably beat this but it was the first item in my search and seems WAY cheaper than anything I saw for reloading.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GGTWTC/_e ... Z9J38&th=1

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
pushpullpete wrote:
YMMV

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.
What does Clemtex charge for Walnut shell. I've been buying it at Harbor Freight.
It's taken me years to go through the last two bags I bought (80 lbs) and I don't remember what I paid. I'll post the price when I go this week.

Chas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
pushpullpete wrote:
YMMV

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.
It's taken me years to go through the last two bags I bought (80 lbs) and I don't remember what I paid. I'll post the price when I go this week.

Chas.
What grit do you use? I get the Coarse at Harbor Freight which they claim is 12 Grit. $24.99 for 25#.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Wisk and a table spoon of cream of tat tar.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

WTR wrote:Wisk and a table spoon of cream of tat tar.
Why did you discontinue Wisk?

We want you to know that we thought long and hard before discontinuing Wisk. This was not an easy decision to make about a beloved product that has been around for 60 years. We also always want to make sure we can offer a great product in its place. If you like Wisk, we think you'll LOVE Persil. It was ranked Best of the Year by USA Today in 2016. You can also find a coupon for it here: http://www.persilproclean.com/us/en/locate-persil.html. If you have any further questions, please call us at 1-800-ASK-WISK. We thank you for being a fan.
https://www.wisk.com/Default.aspx

The Wisk replacement: http://www.persilproclean.com/us/en.cky.html

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
pushpullpete wrote:
YMMV

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.

Chas.
What grit do you use? I get the Coarse at Harbor Freight which they claim is 12 Grit. $24.99 for 25#.
I think Clemtex has three grits and I get the medium grit. I don't know if it has a number.

Chas.

priusron

Post by priusron »

I too changed to SS in a Harbor Freight tumbler. It is so much quieter and looks so nice. There are two sizes of SS rods. The larger will not get stuck in the primer flash hole.

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ET-Ret »

Just a little info I called clemtex in Dallas
they have a 50# bag for 20 dollars and change said they have samples out to pick your grade.
They will come up on Google and have different locations.
I gave about $25 at Academy for 5# box of RCBS 12 with a package of wax to throw in the tumbler.
Dallas next week here i come.

Thanks Charles for it info.
ET-ret

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Went to Clemetex in Dallas today. A 50# bag of rushed walnut cost $21.xx with tax. They do not carry corn media any more. I mixed the corn media I had with the walnut, add a bit of polish and went to cleaning.

Return to “Reloading Forum”