Berry's Bullets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 1

Berry's Bullets

Post by ET-Ret »

Does any one have any comments on using Berry's copper plated bullets in 9mm. I tried some from South Africa
that Cabalas sold but since have discontinued. Think they were FMC . I load 3 or 4 different pistols but no Glocks
I have loaded some in 38sp that are .355 just to plink with and no problems. They say to use cast bullet load data.
Et-ret

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Plated Bullets

Post by flechero »

I don't load Berry's for reasons I'll explain in a minute, but they generally get very good reviews. (they are more expensive than competitors plated bullets if you more than a few hundred) Since you already loaded plated in the past, you likely know their limitations in terms of velocity & jacket softness... so as long as you bell/flare and crimp properly you should be fine with any plated bullet. Note that Berry's are recommended to stay below 1250 fps, and use lead data... while others are good to 1400/1500 fps and can use all lead data and up to mid range jacketed data.

Let me throw another wrench in here... Precision Delta. If you buy 2000 at a time, you get free freight and a great FMJ bullet for less than Berry's plated. (about $30 cheaper than you can buy Berry's for)

I have loaded thousands of plated bullets from RMR Bullets and Xtreme Bullets. (both excellent) I initially avoided Berry's because it was considered a more delicate bullet to load and was not available in bulk or at discounted pricing. The two I mentioned have a much thicker plating and are both very well regarded for accuracy, and for durability in the press. Also available in bulk with discounted pricing. (with additional sales and shipping deals at almost all holidays)

Not trying to steer you away from Berry's but want to point out that there are other (many will say better) options to be had at that offer same to better accuracy at better prices.

If you need a qty of 500 or less- then disregard everything I wrote! :lol:

Beiruty

Re: Berry's Bullets

Post by Beiruty »

I got 1500 of Berry's HP bullets on sale at Cabela's if seated improperly the bullet would get damaged while seated. Also, the first 500 rds were short and now I am going through the pain of pulling out the bullets and reseat them to 1.175"

The round nose bullets are as good as Extreme. My cost of 9mm Plated is hoovering around $65 to $75 per thousands on sale at Cabela's (20% off).

It might be a good idea to try some FMJ from Delta Precision
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

Several years ago I loaded a few Berry's 9mm, but got totally hooked on loading nothing but revolver rounds for a long time. When I got back to loading the bottom feeders (9mm and .45 acp) I ended up buying XTreme plated bullets in volume. In only a thousand or so, I don't recall any problems and they seem to preform well.

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I've used them in the past, but I prefer hard cast, preferably 'coated' rather than lubed. There are a lot of options. In some cases I will order 'raw' bullets and powercoat and size them myself.

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?p ... &keywords=
http://www.bayoubullets.net/9mm-124-gr-rn-1000-ct/
http://www.snscasting.com/new-9mm-125-g ... ed-1000ct/

I just ordered some from Precision Bullets here in Texas:
http://www.precisionbullets.com/
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

ghostrider wrote:
I just ordered some from Precision Bullets here in Texas:
http://www.precisionbullets.com/
Great stuff there!!

I skipped coated since it wasn't the original question but Precision Bullets coated are my favorite and certainly the most consistent of any I have purchased.... I buy the 200 gr RNF (.45) in the 2250 qty boxes!

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

I've shot thousands of Berrys in 9mm, 124 gr. I've never had a problem with them in 3 pistols and a Sub 2000. I've started using RMR recently mainly because of price. RMR has FMJ cheaper than the Berry plated.

Defndr90

Post by Defndr90 »

I use Berry's 9mm round nose when Cabalas has them on sale. Every now and then they are 25% off. I am not really a super experienced reloader and I have never had any problems with them. I use them at the farm just to have fun shooting at cans and such. Seem to be plenty accurate for that.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

I have put thousands of rounds of their RN 115 grn 9mm bullets downrange with no problems at all. Shot out of Glock 17 as well as M&P variations.

Return to “Reloading Forum”